XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Chasing a front end clunk

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2020, 12:01 PM
Received 178 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Harrosito
The only thing left now is a little plastic-like sound somewhere in/behind the lower dash area when I hit some inconvenient part of the road.
Like something is a bit loose there. Anybody any idea what that could be?
Appreciate all kind of comments. ;-)
The post literally just one up from where you joined in was copied from another thread that specifically identified the squeak that sounds like it's coming from the dashboard.
If you search for that thread, you can read a better description of what that problem is all about.

Last edited by 12jagmark; 11-20-2020 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-23-2020, 12:34 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Ok Mark, thanks, I'll jump into that!
Edit: Yeah! Found it, read it and replied to it.
Also because of the chirping mentioned there, which I also hear sometimes, makes me pretty sure that this is the way to go!
Thanks again, to be continued overthere!

Last edited by Harrosito; 11-23-2020 at 01:16 AM.
Old 01-04-2021, 01:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thankful for this thread...
1. Changed the upper Control arms first (rubber boots protecting ball joints were split). $1500 later, no change
2. Found this thread, and changed the sway bar bushings (used Powerflex aftermarket). Also changed end-links .... No change
3. After the clunk, I noticed I was getting a squeaking noise, seemed to come from within the dashboard... only on driver's side
4. Changed the Upper shock mount on the driver side, and FINALLY that fixed the problem!! Both passenger and drivers side appear shifted at the time, the driver side was actually showing pieces of foam coming out of the top shock mount...
See photos below:
Passenger side before (see foam pieces), Bottom photo driver side after repair

The following 2 users liked this post by eewhiz:
ThatMan (10-02-2021), XJsss (01-04-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 05:42 PM

Hello guys, back on topic again in this marvellous forum.
3 days ago I put some oil on top of the left upper shock mount, like advised somewhere here above.
Only on the left one, to know where the birds were living if there would be any or no change.
There was no change, or maybe just a little, hard to tell.
So 2 days ago I put the same oil equally on the right one, and all the birds were gone directly! :-)
Apparently these birds hate this brand of oil, good for me. Already a big relieve, the birds were growing, making more noise every time, but now they flew out.
The plastic dash sound still seems to be there, but less I think.
So now I asked my Dutch provider if he can send the earlier mentioned shock mount parts to Mexico, left and right, to have them replaced here at once.
To be continued, thanks to all of you!

Old 01-05-2021, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 416 Likes on 316 Posts

I’ve had two XJSs, an XJ6, and an X308 XJR. The shock mounts were shot on all of them.

Old 01-05-2021, 11:57 AM
Received 178 Likes on 133 Posts

The link to the OTHER thread on this problem:
Squeaky Squealing chirping under dashboard - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

I still have to ask my wife to take a quick look at something I'm working on once in a while, even though she doesn't know a thing about anything mechanical, electrical, structural and usually points out something that's completely normal. But because she doesn't know how these things work, she can point thins out to me that I wouldn't pay attention to otherwise, like when she noticed the shock moving around while we were hearing it squeak and found the problem.
Like she says - "Team work makes the dream work".

The following users liked this post:
ThatMan (10-02-2021)
Old 01-05-2021, 09:12 PM
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I’m still on the hunt for the clunk. I drive the car long enough to really hone in on noises. And since changing body sway bar bushing the noise went away. But had come back for the winter, I retract my statement about bushings being the sole reason. It has to be the upper mounts like mentioned. I don’t have foam or a misalignment at the upper mount, but I did bounce the car as hard as I could watching the shock rod vs the mount and I could see some movement. How much deflection is normal I’m not sure. But this has got to be it and will report once I change them. The cold weather must be causing the shock to be extra stiff since fluid is thicker till it warms up and translating the shock to the mount. Also by lifting the car off the ground we might be temporarily pumping up the mount till it settles back to the broken state. I’d be curious to know if anyone can report if they see deflection when they bounce the car by the radiator support area.

Last edited by ricardoa1; 01-05-2021 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04-06-2021, 05:53 PM

About 1,5 months ago I had the 4 upper shock parts renewed, as advised above, and everything works perfect now, nice riding, nice suspension, apart from that earlier mentioned "metal/plastic" sound. That one is still there. All the other sounds and chirping is gone.
When I hit something uneven on the road with the left front wheel, little potholes or something similar, most of the time this sound appears.
Somewhere from under the dash, it looks like.
With any other wheel no sounds.
When I bump into something on the road with the left front wheel, most of the time there follows a small rattle like some metal plate is loose and hitting something else.
My local suspension guys couldn't find anything and me neither. Not with the suspension, not with any plates, not with the exhaust pipes.
We just made a trip of about 2.500 km's through Mexico and the sound is still the same. Not worse, not better.
For next tuesday I have an appointment with the local Jaguar dealer here to have this checked out.
If somebody has an idea, you're very welcome! ;-)

Old 04-28-2021, 05:25 PM

As said above, I went to the local Jaguar dealership to have this sound checked, and they told me there that the front rubber of the left (upper) swing arm was worn out.

Ordered that swing arm the 16th of april from my Dutch provider, it arrived yesterday the 27th in Mexico, and today the local garage here around the corner had it changed for the old one.
Both bushings were pretty worn out.
And everything is perfect now, no problems anymore, no strange sounds. Drives like new.

The following 3 users liked this post by Harrosito:
Polyesterpig (08-13-2021), ThatMan (10-02-2021), wombat (04-28-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,775 Posts

Glad to hear it!!
Sometimes it's just hard to find the problem.

The following users liked this post:
Harrosito (05-12-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 11:06 PM

Correcto! Took me some months and kilometers. But you get to know your car better and better, I like spending time in garages somehow and checking workshopmanuals. ;-)

Old 05-12-2021, 01:41 PM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

On my 2012 XJ8L Portfolio, my "clunk" drove me nuts and I finally adjusted the right side of the (hood) bonnet. There are 2 rubber bumpers on both sides of the hood that are adjustable !!
Ken

Old 03-22-2022, 10:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confused

Originally Posted by JBzXJ40
If you look in the picture below, look at #7, the front lower forward control arm ( also known as the banana arm ). The big round bush, those are common to fail, sometimes they leak because they are hydro filled for NVH. #6, which is the rear straight arm in the picture, the big round bush to the inside has been known to fail, but not nearly as common as the front one. You should be able to get the bushes by itself, but will have to be pressed out. If you see them leaking, they need to be replaced. Since you mentioned every time you get the alignment done, the noise goes away, but comes back. The eccentric bolt for the caster adjustment runs through the front of arm #7, #6 the camber bolt runs through this one. I'd get #7 and #6 checked to see if there is any movement or the bushes are leaking.

1Subframe
2Spring and damper assembly
3Upper control arm
4Wheel knuckle
5Wheel hub and bearing assembly
6Lower lateral control arm
7Lower forward control arm
8Stabilizer bar
9Stabilizer bar link

Might be a dumb question but why does my sway bar and sway bar links look nothing like this picture on my 2 thousandand 14 jaguar XJL?

my bar is curved inward and my links look just like mini rear end links.

Old 03-30-2022, 07:23 AM
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Rango
Might be a dumb question but why does my sway bar and sway bar links look nothing like this picture on my 2 thousandand 14 jaguar XJL?

my bar is curved inward and my links look just like mini rear end links.

Yours is AWD

Old 03-31-2022, 12:12 PM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

This will probably sound stupid to many;readers/contributors to this, but it's my 2 cents worth !!

Had a clunk also and found that the hood leveling bumper screws required occasional adjustment !!

Old 03-31-2022, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 527 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by kenatofc
This will probably sound stupid to many;readers/contributors to this, but it's my 2 cents worth !!

Had a clunk also and found that the hood leveling bumper screws required occasional adjustment !!
Definitely not stupid. Those adjustment knobs can definitely cause problems.

Old 04-01-2022, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member

Hey ALL suggestions and fixes are welcome here!!

Old 07-06-2023, 12:55 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Polyesterpig
Since I purchased this 2011 XJ Base N/A CPO car, there has been a slight clunk over small bumps in the road at low speed. Also, while driving slow, you rock the steering wheel left and right, you can hear the clunk. The clunk is slowly getting louder.

I took it in and had the following replaced.
*Front shocks
*Upper Shock mounts
*Sway bar Bushings
*Sway bar links
*front control links
*upper wishbones complete with bushings and ball joints
*1 engine mount (CPO warranty would only replace one) warranty expired 14 days ago.
*transmission mount
The only things left are the other engine mount, which I am going to do and the lower Ball joints. (but they are tight).

Now I am wondering if it is actually anything to do with the suspension, or is it something structural or steering or? Any suggestions where to look would be great.

Note, every time I take it in and they do an alignment. The clunk seems to go away for a little while, but it slowly returns. It seems after the car was lifted up in the air, it solves the clunk issue for a little while until it settles back down, then it returns. I was hoping they would find it under warranty, but that time is passed.
I wanted to thank you for the discussion on the front suspension. I took my Jag to the dealership to be serviced and he sent a video showing the 2 front banana arms bushing were worn out.
JD

Old 07-07-2023, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member

It would be great if you could post the video to the list?
Might help someone determine if those Banana arms are worn or not?

Old 10-05-2023, 02:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Great thread

A lot of great info for my xj 2010.
one question. Sway bar bushings make the same noise in the back as in the front? I changed the end links and stil that clunk noise. Please help
thanks