XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

few more small issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 01:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default few more small issues

First, in response to a post about the negativity of this forum and forums in general. I belong to two other forums for several years, a porxche 968 and an Isuzu vehicross forum. Both have very few negative comments on them about the vehicles. They have a huge number of posts about how great the vehicles are and helpful tech sections to fix problems. There is no doubt that the XJ is the most beautiful car on the road (except maybe the Morgan Aero) and that it drives great, however it has many shortcomings/annoyances that a vehicle of this claiber and price range should not.
Most recently, the weatherstripping on rear windown fell off keeping the trunk lid from closing. Obvious an easy fix.
I had the a/c, radio cluster replaced because it died. Now a week later two times the radio would not play, nor the cd, nor an i pod. Then all of a sudden it goes back to working. When I close the car I have the side mirrors auto set to close, 3 times when I have reopened the car the mirrors do not open. You can't manually open and shutting and reopening car does nothing, so you drive around with no side views until car feels like it is ok to open.
I am about to replace both front wheels as the rims are bent. Low profile tires should not be on a vehicle of this weight in any metropolitan area, or they should have a stronger wheel and tire. I have already replaced two tires for bubbles. I have gone to using my handheld navigation as the input is so slow and the routing so strange that I gave up using the in dash one.
These are all not major items, like an engine blowing, but in comparison to 16 years of drving BMW's and Porsches I have never had this many annoyances combining all my vehicles.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quit being negative...just accept that the car we all spent thousands of dollars for is not perfect and that we're all too picky to notice things such as weather stripping falling off the car...seesh!

I say that all in jest, I experienced many of the issues you just listed. I think owners who are experiencing issues and voicing their concern are not being negative. I think posting examples of issues provides a service to those reading the board, both owners, non-owners and potentially Jag dealers and Jag NA alike. To me there's a difference in making unqualified negative statements versus explaining your frustrations by providing examples of what the car is doing.

Your weather stripping comment made me laugh...when I was trading my XJ in on the Merc last week, I opened the trunk to get my umbreallas out. When I did, I noticed the weather trim around the trunk had popped off. I quickly put it back in place, shut the trunk and breathed a sigh of relief. Perfect examples of small things you wouldn't expect to see in a car of this quality. Was it a big deal, absolutely not, but it's just makes you scratch your head after a year of popping roofs, bald and worn front tires based on factory mis-alignment, rattles from the carbon door panels and an undiagnosed noise coming from the steering column/front-end.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm new to Jaguar, comming off of two Lexus LS430 Ultra models.

I ageree that this car is, hands down, the best looking thing on the road. Mine is black, and I love it!

Unfortunately, I also have had a few frustrating things happen with this Jag. The rear passenger side directional bulb has stopped working around 15 times now, but it then works immediately upon restarting the car. I now sit at red lights turning my car off then back on again to temporarily correct this problem.

The driver's side front seat has moved all the way forward twice between my exiting the car and my reentering the car later that day. Last week my passenger experienced the same thing while we were driving to DC.

Now the power sterering system pulsates when the wheels are turned at low (parking) speeds. This happens very often, but not all the time.

Does anyone else have this power stearing issue?

Old 06-06-2011, 10:18 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Wow, I guess I'm just lucky. Ever since the roof popping was fixed and I had the software upgrades done during the first couple of months I had the car I have had zero issues. No trim pieces falling off, no electronic gremlins, no malfunctioning seats and mirrors, nothing. Everything works flawlessly every time. Just makes me wonder just how many lemons are out there. Something as simple as a grounding issue can play havoc with the sensitive electrical systems in these complicated cars.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:04 PM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm going to write an adhoc 'users manual' that lets you guys know how to use all the functions and the short cuts and which way is easiest to do what. The navigation is uber powerful, but unless you're 30 and used to tech, it's awfully difficult. There are ways to search by phone #, name, address (within the state/city/town)... you can type in a partial name and get a list of all the locations with that #, so it is definitely powerful... however, after screwing around with a new Lincoln MKX for my wife, it could definitely be more intuitive.

They could definitely redo the entire menu system and make it that much easier for people to get in to add a location...

...but for now, just add the "nav dest" button to your home screen, it'll save you a few steps.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:19 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by pjardieu
unfortunately, i also have had a few frustrating things happen with this jag. The rear passenger side directional bulb has stopped working around 15 times now, but it then works immediately upon restarting the car. I now sit at red lights turning my car off then back on again to temporarily correct this problem.
you need a new tail lamp assembly, ive had 2 do this in the past year. Funny thing is they were both passenger llights also. I guess the person assembling the right hand tail lights in Indonesia was new...