XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Hacking the 2011 xj head unit

Old 01-09-2012, 07:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hacking the 2011 xj head unit

Has anyone done any clever hacks yet? DVD while driving? Rear cam while driving? Android ice cream sandwich to the rear entertainment screens?

I'm looking to start some projects hacking the system. Anyone already started?

Peter

Old 01-10-2012, 10:57 AM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Came up with a way to add Apple TV to rear headrests if you have entertainment system.

You need a DC power inverter, HDMI to RCA converter, Shuttle sized PC (if you want to just stream videos) and Verizon MIFI.

You can hook up the inputs to the rear armrest mounted RCA inputs. Power the Apple TV by using the DC inverter and then run the inputs through the side of the armrest where it articulates up/down. If you have the MIFI, you can view Netflix, rent movies, whatever. If you install a shock mounted computer (or one made out of solid state components), you can install iTunes and upload all of your DVD collection to that PC (if you purchase the digital copy versions like I do).

OR - you can just hookup a computer and use the MIFI to stream videos from your cloud or from a VPN/server/FTP that you control.

The hardest and only tricky part would be installing the wires and making them look factory. Guess you could unhook the cables inside the arm rest itself and just make those plugs inactive... keeping all the wires in the trunk.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From a software hack perspective, I recently came across the online site for downloading head unit updates, GPS updates, etc (linked from an article in topix). I installed the different piece on my laptop and it includes:
-Repair Times Menu (look up condition codes, scheduled maintenance windows, etc.)
-JLR IDS Application Launcher (which requires an active Topix account to use so I don't actually know what it's for; I may try a hour subscription to find out)
-Navigation Programs Installer (update GPS maps; change geographic location; etc.)

These can all be found on diagnosticdelivery.com - /IDSCentral/ for easy download - I'm thinking there might be some use to looking at the data in detail to see if and how it can be changed (in conjunction with an OBD2 connector)

has anyone actually looked at this stuff in detail?