XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

How to determine if an XJ X351 has ACC and Queue Assist

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2021, 09:41 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How to determine if an XJ X351 has ACC and Queue Assist

Hi guys,
As the title says, how can I easily determine if an X351 has ACC? But Queue Assist?
For ACC, I guess I look at the steering wheel buttons. I’ve tested a 2010 with ACC, but it was getting deactivated at 30km/h. So I guess it was not Full Speed, and the feature got implemented later, as Queue Assist.
I drive a lot in highway queues, and I really miss my 2010 Subaru Full Speed Eyesight feature.
Currently looking after an X351, but not sure how I know the above just by looking at pictures of cars.
For example, on Subaru or Volvo is easy to spot this features. How about the XJ?

Thanks!

Old 05-01-2021, 03:37 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi

On my 2017 model with ACC - externally you can tell by the small perspex oblong feature on the front grill as well as the additional distance buttons on the steering wheel.

Hope that helps

Old 05-01-2021, 06:15 PM

Helps heaps, thanks!
Could I have a picture of this external feature, please?
Also, is the 2017 model able to do Full Speed ACC?

Old 05-02-2021, 06:15 AM

Hi

I have included a link that shows the ACC external feature on the centre of the grill.

Re the full speed question - I have driven the car up to the national speed limit with ACC and it continues to operate.

https://www.car.info/en-se/image/jag...-2018-2-661845

Old 05-02-2021, 07:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

Unless it has been retrofitted, queue assist with the X351 came about with the 2013 MY. About the same time the interior door handles changed from bars to loops.

From 2013-2016MY (mid 2015 build date) the only way to tell visually is the presence of the + CAN - buttons on the cruise switch pack.

From 2016MY onwards the front grill changed - if ACC is fitted the normally round Jaguar cat logo in the centre is replaced by a glossy rectangle panel with the badge printed on it.

It can be retrofitted to any X351, but it is considerably easier with a 2016MY onwards car, so if this is the deciding feature for your purchase and you don't mind throwing some additional money at an otherwise perfect car, it needn't prevent a purchase. Of the 4 X351s I've owned with ACC+QA, only one came fitted with it from the factory.

With the VIN you can look up the built spec for free on TOPIx https://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/t...cle/lookupForm

Old 05-03-2021, 04:07 AM

Whoaaa, awesome stuff. Thanks heaps xdave!
Yes, I am interested in the ACC for queue following, not necessarily for open road. Does all ACCs from 2013 onwards have Queue Assist (aka Full Speed)?

Why is easier to be mounted on a 2016 onwards one? I guess you need to replace even the grille on this one, beside the add-on modules, cables, switches, etc.

Old 05-03-2021, 07:25 AM
Veteran Member

As far as I know all the modules from 2013MY had the queue assist software. Forum user Cambo may know more definitely than me though.

With 2016 onwards you need more ancillary external bits like the new grille and the plastic badge, but the cars are pre-wired so there are no wiring changes to make, It is just a case of plugging the sensor in and adjusting it, swapping the steering wheel cruise switch pack over and there are three bytes in the CCF (car configuration file) that need to be changed to enable to the functions. It is much quicker to install - 3 or 4 hours and you're done, including the calibration drive.

Old 05-03-2021, 06:35 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Can somebody provide a list of components/ parts/ modules/ sensors required to retrofit ACC into MY2016 Jaguar XJ X351 Luxury model.

Any documents or photos instructions would be appreciated also.

Many thanks in advance.

Old 05-04-2021, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member

For a 2016MY+ you will need:
1) ACC sensor (WERS: FPLA-9G768-AC) + bracket (Jaguar: C2D49967, WERS: FW93-9E729-AB)
2) Front grille in whatever colour combo you want (silver, black, silver surround + black insert) + the badge insert
3) Interior steering wheel switch.

The holes for mounting the bracket and sensor centrally on top of the bumper bar are already present, but the screw hole on the left side is untapped so you need to use an appropriate fixing (NB use compatible materials to avoid galvanic corrosion).

The cable will be clipped behind the bumper bar under the horns.

You can install the switch by removing the airbag and then just unscrew the right gear paddle and the interior screw to switch it over. Note - I deliberately haven't given you the part number for the switch as there were two versions - early 2016MY had the older style. You'll need your VIN and possible some trial and error to determine which is correct.

Then you need to enable it in the CCF, and recalibrate. (Do not skip the calibration with a used sensor as it will be incorrect.)

Be careful buying the badges on eBay as some sellers just sell the front of the badge and not the entire thing with the clips attached. You need the latter.

The following users liked this post:
equicor (05-31-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 10:49 AM

many thanks Xdave, appreciate you sharing your knowledge 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼.

Are there instructions on how to remove the steering wheel airbag to check the switches. Would it help if i gave you my VIN?

Also is there a connection/wiring already in place for the front camera if i wanted to add at the same time to the grill?

Last edited by mohaqq; 05-04-2021 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-09-2021, 01:01 PM

Any advice appreciated, also are the badges all the same on all Jaguars with ACC, not specific to XJ? why so expensive if they are just a passive piece of plastic?

Old 05-09-2021, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry, missed your last message!

The easiest way to remove the airbag is with a small inspection mirror and a 4-6mm flat head screwdriver that you don't mind bending to create a 90 degree end about 30mm long. Towards each side of the wheel, on the rear, you will see a little cut out with each having a sprung metal wire loop from the airbag assembly hooked over a piece of metal in the wheel itself. You need to insert the bent screwdriver into the cut out and wedge it between the wire loop and towards the centre of the wheel, then you turn the screwdriver 90 degrees so it is now sideways and it should slide the wire loop towards the outside of the wheel enough to unhook it. If not, you can lever it off. The cut outs will be hidden with the wheels facing straight ahead so you need to turn it left and right to access them. Either do this off the ground, or turn the ignition on to use the power steering, but make sure the battery is disconnected for 2 mins as soon as the two wire loops are released and before you handle and remove the airbag. Remove the airbag standing outside the car (I do it through the open window) and immediately place it somewhere it can't injure anyone should it detonate.

The camera is a whole different area. Another member is in the process of retrofitting the 360 camera system to his XJ and will post the details to the forum when it is all tested as working. IIRC the bumper-side wiring may be present, but the engine and body harnesses are missing it. You need to add the side cameras and change the IPMB over as well.

AFAIK the rectangular badges are the same, and yeah they are a silly price!

The following 2 users liked this post by xdave:
equicor (05-31-2021), mohaqq (05-10-2021)
Old 04-20-2023, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by xdave
For a 2016MY+ you will need:
1) ACC sensor (WERS: FPLA-9G768-AC) + bracket (Jaguar: C2D49967, WERS: FW93-9E729-AB)
2) Front grille in whatever colour combo you want (silver, black, silver surround + black insert) + the badge insert
3) Interior steering wheel switch.

The holes for mounting the bracket and sensor centrally on top of the bumper bar are already present, but the screw hole on the left side is untapped so you need to use an appropriate fixing (NB use compatible materials to avoid galvanic corrosion).

The cable will be clipped behind the bumper bar under the horns.

You can install the switch by removing the airbag and then just unscrew the right gear paddle and the interior screw to switch it over. Note - I deliberately haven't given you the part number for the switch as there were two versions - early 2016MY had the older style. You'll need your VIN and possible some trial and error to determine which is correct.

Then you need to enable it in the CCF, and recalibrate. (Do not skip the calibration with a used sensor as it will be incorrect.)

Be careful buying the badges on eBay as some sellers just sell the front of the badge and not the entire thing with the clips attached. You need the latter.
Hello and sorry for waking up this old thread!

Im planning on retrofitting adaptive cruise on my 2011 XJ and just wanted to check it you have any knowledge on how to do this on my car? Is it only the radar module I would need? Is it possible to retrofit queue assist on this car?