XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

I'm Back. Still Plagued With Faulty Car

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 02:31 PM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Default I'm Back. Still Plagued With Faulty Car

So it’s been a month or so since I’ve posted on here… I was under the impression my issue was being taken care of, but it’s not, so I wanted to update.

To remind those who are unaware or forgot, I had the car that ended up being in the shop over 9 times. My camera didn’t’ work, Navigation didn’t work, Bluetooth didn’t work and the radio/Ipod/Sat didn’t work. That was just the start. As of the last month, more gremlins have popped up. A/C turns itself on high (I NEVER run the car’s AC on auto – NEVER). It will then turn itself back to high and often times, will reset itself to my feet when I get in/out of the car. Keep in mind, I’m in Florida and it’s 90 degrees. I was told previously that the car was very smart and would start on the feet if it were cold, to warm your feet up. Whether that is accurate, I don’t know. The navigation and radio were fixed, but my Bluetooth still does not work, A/C shuts itself off AND the reverse camera either lags, or doesn’t come on at all… meaning, I can put it in reverse, back out slowly… brake, put in “D” and start moving without the camera ever coming on. I’ve documented this 2 dozen times, along with everything else. All in all, I had 60+ videos. To top it off, the best and most egregious technical issue is my main screen turning itself on/off at will… to which, I’ve captured that on video TWICE and it’s happened 3 dozen times. The comical thing about this is that I sent an email to Stuart Carr, VP of Marketing for Jaguar… his assistant called me back at first, very pleasant, said she’d look into it… two weeks later, after Jaguar having my car for almost two weeks, she calls me and says, “my car is fixed and working as it should and she couldn’t help me”. I go pick my car up, for the 8th time mind you and guess what happens the FIRST DAY? My screen goes out again. Well guess who got it on video… AGAIN? I did. I send it to Jaguar (my service department) and think, “okay, I have another smoking gun”. I was asked to come in, pick up a vehicle to test drive for a week and make sure it doesn’t do any of the same things that mine did… so I take it for a week… drive it… not one issue (you don’t say). Keep in mind, my VIN is below 2000 and I was driving a +16k vin car. So I take the car back and are told, “we’ll make this happen, trust in us”. That was a month ago. I’ve been VERY busy with my wifes new boutique and fashion week and I didn’t have time to do much about it. Now remember that I’ve documented the same items screwing up AFTER Jaguar NA said my car was fixed. I’ve documented it more than any other person on the planet would have. The ‘catch’ comes from me having the car as the business lease for the car lot… and Lemon Law doesn’t protect me because it was B2C not C2C. Had an individual bought it, I would be fine. So because of a title loophole, Jaguar has gotten out of having me able to file a lemon law claim against them… even though they had my car almost 2 months total out of four.

I was told, “Jaguar NA will never let it get to you suing them…”. Well, unfortunately for them, we’re at that point. The last thing I need is to worry about a lawsuit that could drag out for months or even a year. I HATE my car. Every day I get in it, something different isn’t working properly. However. I LOVE Jaguar XJ’s… just not mine. I don’t care if they said they fixed it 100%... I’d always in the back of my mind think, “this thing is going to crap out on me 1 mile after warranty expires and I’ll be screwed. I haven’t asked for anything other than a new vehicle… I even said I’d suck up the depreciation from the mileage I put on my vehicle so it wasn’t so one sided. But here I am, still trying to get Jaguar to honor their ‘service after the sale’ that got them a JD Power & Associates award for best customer satisfaction. I guess if you’re not loaded or famous… they take less to wanting to help.

Regardless. I was asked to give them a week from today, which I will. After that, Jaguar will lose more defending themselves than they would had they just made me happy from the 8th service visit. I’m not sure about any of you, but from the PM’s I received, I know you wouldn’t have gone past visit #3.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:24 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Wow, what an ordeal! My sympathies. It's too bad, because you can tell from the loaner car they gave you that there are no issues that cannot be rectified. You obviously have a very early production car plagued with problems that your dealer can't seem to sort out and need Jaguar to swap you out of it. I'm not sure I fully understand your comments about the Lemon Law loophole. Hard to believe that this only protects individuals and not businesses.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:33 PM
Received 73 Likes on 39 Posts

If I were the mechanic on that one, I would look for a common ground that is loose or isn't making good contact.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

What is B2C and C2C?

Old 04-13-2011, 10:37 AM

I bought a demo vehicle with very low miles... it was leased by Jaguar to the GM. Lemon law does not cover 'used' vehicles. A used vehicle by definition is the obvious, but it's also a car that was leased to a business and then resold, even if the business is the delaership.

IF HOWEVER the lease was to a consumer and leased to another consumer within the first year of being sold, then it IS covered under the lemon law.

So because I got a B2C (business to consumer) leased vehicle instead of a C2C (consumer to consumer), I am not protected under the law.

I just pulled out of a gas station today and the car straight died in the middle of the road... all the error lights went on and the check engine light stayed on, albeit for a short time, after I restarted the car.

It's been going on/off for a month easy... I just videotape it like usual so I can prove I'm not making this stuff up.

I don't know if I commented on it earlier, but the AC also continues to fluctuate from very low to very high (I got that on video too).

I could go on. Every day a new gremlin creeps up... I'm just documenting it so if/when nothing happens, I can prove unequivocally that I have done nothing to deserve a car that malfunctions all the time. Even if they fixed it 100%, I would still have reservations about it from all the mishaps and issues from previous months.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:24 AM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Last edited by jaglover922; 04-23-2011 at 07:26 AM. Reason: posted in the wrong section
Old 04-29-2011, 01:13 PM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

Lemon law or not....you still got a faulty item. The difference here unfortunatlely is who is carrying the cost for a lawsuit. Not as much the endresult.
B2B or not, Jaguar still owes you a working product. And after having given "sufficient" opportunity to repair (leave that to a judge to interpret) they have to make the intial contract "whole" by either giving you money back or another working product.
Problem is....no matter what you will be wasting time and money in court and you will never end up where you expected to be. Simply because they will not give you all the money back. They will deduct for time you used the car ect., ect.,
It always stinks to end up in a situation like this. And Jaguar simply should try to find a way to make it right by you without putting you through all the legal stuff. Again lemon laws protect consumers in a way that the consumer will be helped by a fund to carry legal cost if they have to go that far.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,333 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by Glendoramike
If I were the mechanic on that one, I would look for a common ground that is loose or isn't making good contact.
Bang on, it's a potential dash swap - my guess is the tech just runs software updates, not even spanners the car.....you need a decent tech to get a look and diagnose it correctly, these cars run hi end fault diagnostics. Now it died, it should have an "event" logged.

Stay with it, as I understand it, a threatening letter from your lawyer should get the attention of Jaguar, don't be fobbed off any longer. Good luck.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:37 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Wow, it has been a while that I haven't visited this forum too, and to my surprise I read your ordeal update here. You are right - if it was me the gloves would have come off at the second visit. When anyone puts down this kind of money to buy a car, it has to work. I still have not had the courage to pull the trigger on an XJ. I will wait more, and perhaps never buy one but I hope the car gets good enough reliability to conquer me as a customer. The XJ looks stunning, but looks alone can't haul my *** around. For now I'm staying with my LS460.

Last edited by Maybe_XJ; 05-05-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:20 PM

We'll see. I was asked what the payoff and mileage was yesterday... so that's a step in the right direction, but we've been stepping in this direction for four months.

They have until next week to get me out of my vehicle, or I'm filing a lawsuit against Jaguar NA. After I was told by the VP of Marketings assistant (I'm assuming) that 'they could not validate my videos and that the car was functioning 100%', I should have done it then. I was basically told that they didn't believe my videos... all 60 of them.

If they don't make this right... I'm starting a Youtube channel with all of my videos and creating a splash page that I will pay to have Google show up on the first page of a search query for "Jaguar XJL". If I were an 80 year old man with ZERO coding experience, they wouldn't worry... but since I learned to design web pages and graphics since before the internet, when BBS's were popular... this is far from a veiled threat. I grew up with social networking... I own multiple websites and have 100's of 1000's of email addresses from lists I've accumulated and/or purchased and as God is my witness - I'll email everyone the link to my sites.

I have heard repeatedly that I have been the most gracious person through all of this... but like my wife says, unless you are an a$$ hole, you don't get anywhere anymore and it's irritating.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:34 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Didnt you meen to take a left at that bridge instead of a right
jaguar dealers are supposed to give you a 2011 to drive while they work and repair your car. And hasnt a regional tech rep come in to work on your car yet either. Theyre the best for problematic issues like this and i have yet to see a tech rep not get a car fixed. This is always a step done by jaguar before a byback so even if youre not able by law to get a byback i would have a rep work with the dealer to fix your car while you drive another 2011 xj as a loaner

Old 05-08-2011, 04:32 PM

Tech already came and tried to fix the car... he reported back to Jaguar NA that my vehicle was 'factory new'. The next day, I got it on VIDEO doing the same things that it did when I dropped it off the first 8 times. At that point, they actually gave me a new XJ. I was told they were replacing my vehicle and that Jaguar NA wanted me to drive that car to confirm that it wasn't doing the same things that my personal vehicle was doing. I had the car for a week... then receive a call from Stuart's, the VP of Marketing, assistant... she told me that my car was fixed, I needed to take that one back and that they couldn't comment on the validity of my videos. So I took it back and have been waiting ever since.

My biggest issue now is that the car loses power randomly... it completely dies and then starts up again. I haven't been able to get this on video because it happens very quickly (it's the only thing I haven't gotten on video). When it does happen, it's typically in traffic or when I'm crossing a road. I almost got t-boned last week with my wife in the car. I'm either going to hit someone, or get hit. I wonder if an attorney for the person I hit read this forum and how my vehicle wasn't functioning properly, would they go after Jaguar NA and not me?

Old 05-17-2011, 09:34 PM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I would also start posting your problems on their Facebook pages. They have like two or three of them. You would be surprised how much bad publicity can get a company to act.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:16 PM

I figured, documenting repeatedly and being patient/nice would do the trick. Guess not.

I spoke to someone at Jaguar yesterday who assured me that 'the right person had everything I had sent them and that it shouldn't be much longer'.

Everytime they say it's fixed, I get something on video. As of this week. I have a 90 second video of me moving in reverse, without the camera coming on. I, one of the most careful drivers on the planet, backed into a car three weeks ago at night because I had a very hard time judging where it was. (No damage to either vehicle).

I have a 30 second video of my car in valet mode (it clearly says valet mode on the screen), but with me being able to use some of the functions that are supposed to be disabled... glove compartment included. I keep one of my handguns in the car most of the time... every single time I valet or park somewhere 'sketchy', I enable valet mode. That'll make me feel terrific if my handgun goes missing while we're at dinner (I don't leave it in the car overnight).