XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Intake Surprise

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 10:19 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Intake Surprise

I recently installed the intake tube kit from Mina Gallery on my XJL. When I removed the original piping I was surprised to see evidence of plastic miraculously trapped just in front of the throttle body. I look down at the stock piping to find entire chunks missing. From the top, everything looked fine...but underneath....

Old 11-06-2017, 10:28 AM
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

Does the intake rub against anything? Have you noticed it driving any differently?
Let us know how the Mina fits and please post some before and after pics.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by NvmyJag
Does the intake rub against anything? Have you noticed it driving any differently?
Let us know how the Mina fits and please post some before and after pics.

There was no rubbing before or after. I was extremely surprised to find that amount of damage. Heat??? With the new intake piping there is a noticeable increase in power, and a slight bump in pleasurable volume under throttle. I will note that I installed k&n filters which replaced the originals at the same time as the Mina unit. I'll take some with the new unit here shortly.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:16 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

on1r1, keep an eye on things under light throttle. I have the K&N filters and once in awhile I will get a check engine light (P0101-MAF sensor) and doing some playing with my reader, it would appear that if you are on the throttle lightly and then get off of it quickly, the air flow change is too fast and it will note the problem. But, you have to have like 3 of these in a matter of like a minute (something goofey like that). Cleaning the MAF sensor doesn't really seem to correct anything. Just something that I noticed and figured out with a little bit of playing.

Old 11-06-2017, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
on1r1, keep an eye on things under light throttle. I have the K&N filters and once in awhile I will get a check engine light (P0101-MAF sensor) and doing some playing with my reader, it would appear that if you are on the throttle lightly and then get off of it quickly, the air flow change is too fast and it will note the problem. But, you have to have like 3 of these in a matter of like a minute (something goofey like that). Cleaning the MAF sensor doesn't really seem to correct anything. Just something that I noticed and figured out with a little bit of playing.

Thank you for that; I'll play around with it on the way home. I've noticed the CEL display before but it was only after the xpipe and exhaust were installed. As far as I can tell (until the dyno session) there have only been very enjoyable increases in power and torque.

My only concern for mine and others is that, if the original is left unchecked, these pieces can be sucked into the supercharger/engine and cause major damage.

Old 11-09-2017, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,217 Likes on 1,754 Posts

WoW! That is a lot of plastic missing!

I'm surprised you didn't get a check engine light since the leak was after the MAF?

Old 11-09-2017, 02:46 PM

It had come on but would turn off shortly thereafter. Either way, last night on the way home it developed a rattling sound. Pretty sure it's rod bearing knock. When it rains it pours.

off to the dealership

Old 11-10-2017, 07:13 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

☹ï¸sorry!!!

Old 11-11-2017, 10:46 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Please keep us informed ;(

Old 11-11-2017, 11:16 AM
Received 170 Likes on 160 Posts

I've seen my cars on a rollback several times. Never a good feeling. Best of luck to you.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

When you say "rattling" sound is it/ was it coming from the front of the engine?

Have a look at this
where you can hear rod knock.

Reason I ask is that the 5.0 engines from 2010 to 2012 have a known engineering defect in the timing chain guides that appear to develop sometimes as early as 35,000 miles. It is a rattling noise.

Old 11-15-2017, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by rhomanski
I've seen my cars on a rollback several times. Never a good feeling. Best of luck to you.
Out of 65 vehicles over 44 years, I have only ever seen two of my cars on a rollback: my 2004 Jaguar and my 2011 Jaguar. No, it is not a good feeling.

Dwayne

Old 11-15-2017, 02:41 PM

Wow! I've only bought 8 cars in my life. My first was about 45 years ago. I still have 7 of them.

Old 11-15-2017, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by rhomanski
Wow! I've only bought 8 cars in my life. My first was about 45 years ago. I still have 7 of them.
What can I say? I am easily bored.

Old 01-17-2018, 12:26 PM

Sorry for the late reply here. Here's the update:

Cylinders 2 and 3 are done. The warranty company just denied my claim this morning stating "pre-existing" condition. Apparently they seem to to believe that it was going on for some time. I wouldn't have driven it if I had heard that sound previously.

Believe it or not, I love that car more than any supra, r32, r33, or nsx I've ever owned. I'm looking at alternatives at the moment; I've found a few motors for half the price JLR was going to charge on a car parts site. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I don't want to break the bank but would love to have that car on the road again!!

Old 01-17-2018, 01:05 PM

Sorry to hear that. Check your paperwork to see if "preexisting conditions" are even mentioned. Did they check to see what was embedded in the bearings?

A quick look on ebay found this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-0L-V8-Sup...NZbnvL&vxp=mtr

Last edited by rhomanski; 01-17-2018 at 01:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
on1r1 (01-18-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 03:50 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

That sucks dude! I hate those "warranty" (scam) companies and would never buy one of their ripoff products. Hopefully you can get it back on the road not too expensive. I'm sure you could swap the engine out for a Chevy!

Old 01-17-2018, 08:27 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Would love to see that conversion process!

Old 01-17-2018, 10:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,136 Likes on 3,382 Posts

Don't be so quick to throw in the towel with your "extended warranty" provider. You might have a case against them.

It's an extended warranty only if it's backed by Jaguar. If the Administrator is a third party unrelated to
Jaguar, it's an extended extended service contract, which is similar to an insurance policy. I believe you have an extended service contract because your XJL is a 2011 and both the Jaguar new car warranty and CPO warranty have already expired.

When did you buy that extended service contract, and how many miles were on your 2011 XJL at that time? That information is in your contract. Did you buy your XJL from a Jaguar dealer? Did you buy that extended service contract from a Jaguar dealer or direct from that company? How many miles on your XJ now and where did you have it serviced? Do you have all the service records?

Whether you have a case depends on the terms of your contract. What specific terms did the Administrator cite and rely on as the basis of his denial, and what facts did he claim support his conclusion? If you have facts that contradict his denial, then you should get a lawyer and dispute that denial as a breach of contract.

Your experience is typical. Read your contract and the definition of a pre-existing condition. Don't let them weasel out of paying if the language is ambiguous. Sometimes the threat of litigation can go a long way.

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
Brutal (01-19-2018), on1r1 (01-18-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 05:52 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Don't be so quick to throw in the towel with your "extended warranty" provider. You might have a case against them.

It's an extended warranty only if it's backed by Jaguar. If the Administrator is a third party unrelated to
Jaguar, it's an extended extended service contract, which is similar to an insurance policy. I believe you have an extended service contract because your XJL is a 2011 and both the Jaguar new car warranty and CPO warranty have already expired.

When did you buy that extended service contract, and how many miles were on your 2011 XJL at that time? That information is in your contract. Did you buy your XJL from a Jaguar dealer? Did you buy that extended service contract from a Jaguar dealer or direct from that company? How many miles on your XJ now and where did you have it serviced? Do you have all the service records?

Whether you have a case depends on the terms of your contract. What specific terms did the Administrator cite and rely on as the basis of his denial, and what facts did he claim support his conclusion? If you have facts that contradict his denial, then you should get a lawyer and dispute that denial as a breach of contract.

Your experience is typical. Read your contract and the definition of a pre-existing condition. Don't let them weasel out of paying if the language is ambiguous. Sometimes the threat of litigation can go a long way.
What do you think a lawyer will cost? Several thousand upfront at least. Even if he wins, then he has to collect. These companies know very few, if any people will take it beyond complaining. Best thing is to count this as a lesson, never buy one again, and those of us reading are more apt not to waste our money on one.