XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Jaguar XJ reliability - better info

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 10:13 AM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Jaguar XJ reliability - better info

I wanted more up-to-date car reliability information that made the differences between cars clearer. So a few years ago I started getting people together to make this possible. TrueDelta now updates actual repair frequencies, not just dots, four times a year, to track cars closely as they age.

We've been providing stats for the XF, and I'd love to do the same with the current XJ. Just a matter of getting more owners involved.

Participants simply report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, following the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, participants receive full access to all results, not just those for the XJ, for free. I'll share results for the XJ n this thread after each update.

TrueDelta | Enrollment

The following users liked this post:
plums (08-05-2013)
Old 08-05-2013, 10:47 AM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

spammer spotted!

Old 08-05-2013, 11:09 AM

Before posting that ^^^ did you happen to notice that I've been sharing the results of this survey with this forum for years? Notice my post count. Many members here have been helping with the survey for years. I'm very grateful for this, as we wouldn't have the coverage we do without them. Putting this information together requires a lot of hard work, and posts like yours just make it even harder.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

No, in this instance TrueDelta is not a spam site. Mr Karesh has been a member of the forum for 5 years, and they appear to be an independent review site.

And they do offer free membership to people who participate with data collection.

But as per usual, thanks for remaining vigilant, I'd much rather receive 10 false alarms than have real spammers slip through.

mkaresh (08-06-2013)
Old 08-05-2013, 12:09 PM

Thanks, Translator.

I've never posted in this particular forum before, so I can see how someone seeing only this post could think it was spam. And it's definitely important to keep spam posts out of forums.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by mkaresh
Before posting that ^^^ did you happen to notice that I've been sharing the results of this survey with this forum for years? Notice my post count. Many members here have been helping with the survey for years. I'm very grateful for this, as we wouldn't have the coverage we do without them. Putting this information together requires a lot of hard work, and posts like yours just make it even harder.
First off, I've been a member on this forum for years and never once did see one of your posts related to this subject. Second, why are you attacking me for trying to protect the interests of the members on this forum and in particular XJ owners? Any attempts at data collection sourced from the internet must always be viewed as suspect. I raised this alert in response to a perceived threat and should not have been bashed by you for doing so. I've been involved with national security for many years and if we ignored perceived threats in that environment the results would be catastrophic.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:36 AM

For someone in my line of work, "spammer" is a serious accusation. If it were true, I'd have been out of business a long time ago.

I understand why you made it, but wish you had done a little investigation before doing so.

For example, you might have noticed that my join date was back in 2008 and that my post count was 170--both bits of information are visible in the OP. You could have searched my other threads, and noticed that other forum members and even some mods have been supportive of the survey. You might have noticed that when people ask a question, I answer it.

I'm not saying you should ignore perceived threats. But before jumping from the perception of a threat to a public accusation, please do a little more investigation. Leap straight to an accusation in the realm of national security (much more serious than a forum post), and you could do someone real harm without cause.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:07 PM

For someone in my line of work, "spammer" is a serious accusation. If it were true, I'd have been out of business a long time ago.

I understand why you made it, but wish you had done a little investigation before doing so.

For example, you might have noticed that my join date was back in 2008 and that my post count was 170--both bits of information are visible in the OP. You could have searched my other threads, and noticed that other forum members and even some mods have been supportive of the survey. You might have noticed that when people ask a question, I answer it.

I'm not saying you should ignore perceived threats. But before jumping from the perception of a threat to a public accusation, please do a little more investigation. Leap straight to an accusation in the realm of national security (much more serious than a forum post), and you could do someone real harm without cause.

I'm sorry you feel that way but 1) you never posted in the XJ forum 2) based on the posting guidelines you should not be advertising or posting links to commercial websites on the XJ forum. If I'm not mistaken there are other sections for vendors, etc.

That is what raised the alarm which I reported to the admin. It was not my responsibility to gain intel on who or what your intentions might be but to simply report the possibility of a threat. If someone sees an unattended bag we don't expect them to look in the bag to see if it contains an explosive device. Your response was hostile and defensive which further undermined your credibility. If you are here to solicit do it properly. Oh and btw I did look at all your prior posts and ever single one of them is related to gathering data for your website. Have you ever owned or drove a Jaguar?

Old 08-06-2013, 01:39 PM

I understand that your intentions were good. I'm just asking you to think before making accusations, that's all.

Taking up your bag example, would you suggest that someone who sees an unattended bag in a crowded place immediately yell, "Bomb!" Of course not.

What I've been reacting to is that you didn't simply report the post, but made a public accusation. While I can understand that reporting a suspicious post carries no responsibility to investigate it further, I feel that making a public accusation does.

Consider, if you can, how you'd behave if our positions are reversed. You've reacted quite strongly to my suggestion that you should do a little research before making a public accusation. How would you react if you were the person being accused?

Unlike a vendor we are not seeking money from anyone here, and I do what I can to share the resulting information with the forum. People here are aware of this. It's why they've been supportive, for which I'm grateful.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:20 PM

I understand that your intentions were good. I'm just asking you to think before making accusations, that's all.

Taking up your bag example, would you suggest that someone who sees an unattended bag in a crowded place immediately yell, "Bomb!" Of course not.

What I've been reacting to is that you didn't simply report the post, but made a public accusation. While I can understand that reporting a suspicious post carries no responsibility to investigate it further, I feel that making a public accusation does.

Consider, if you can, how you'd behave if our positions are reversed. You've reacted quite strongly to my suggestion that you should do a little research before making a public accusation. How would you react if you were the person being accused?

Unlike a vendor we are not seeking money from anyone here, and I do what I can to share the resulting information with the forum. People here are aware of this. It's why they've been supportive, for which I'm grateful.
Darling you need to chill. I'm not debating with you any longer since this banter does not reflect the spirit of this forum. No one here is accusing you of any criminal misconduct. Let's say you were indeed SPAMMING, which of course now we know that you weren't, it is not a crime. I'm sorry that your pride has been challenged by this exchange but give it a rest and stop playing the victim.

-Semper fi

Old 08-06-2013, 07:01 PM

Now that you're sweet talking me (usually only my wife calls me darling), I'll relax.

Forgot to answer one of your questions earlier. Can't say I've owned a Jaguar (I can't own one of everything the survey covers), but I happen to be driving a Jaguar this week (press car). I requested the V6 AWD since it's new.

Attached Thumbnails Jaguar XJ reliability - better info-xj-rear-quarter-cc.jpg  
tommyd (08-06-2013)
Old 08-06-2013, 09:10 PM

Now that you're sweet talking me (usually only my wife calls me darling), I'll relax.

Forgot to answer one of your questions earlier. Can't say I've owned a Jaguar (I can't own one of everything the survey covers), but I happen to be driving a Jaguar this week (press car). I requested the V6 AWD since it's new.
Cool. Give us your honest opinion after you have some decent seat time.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:00 AM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tommyd
First off, I've been a member on this forum for years and never once did see one of your posts related to this subject. Second, why are you attacking me for trying to protect the interests of the members on this forum and in particular XJ owners? Any attempts at data collection sourced from the internet must always be viewed as suspect. I raised this alert in response to a perceived threat and should not have been bashed by you for doing so. I've been involved with national security for many years and if we ignored perceived threats in that environment the results would be catastrophic.
My God. What an unbelievable over-reaction! You call him a spammer and then start crying and whining that he's attacking and bashing you?? Are you f'n kidding me?? I've gone over his post word by word and I fail to see anything that could even be remotely considered an attack on you. Please enlighten the members of the forum by pointing out this alleged "attack."

Old 11-06-2013, 12:50 PM

We all over-react from time to time. No lasting harm done.

On the XJ, more have signed up, but still not enough to include them in the survey.

I did post a review of the V6 AWD:

2013 Jaguar XJ Pros and Cons: Michael's Review

Note that my format highlights positives and negatives for every car, compared to the best in the segment. Worse than the best isn't the same as bad. No car is the best at everything.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:53 AM

The 2011 and 2012 are now each 1/3 of the way to the minimum sample size.

To help get your model year included (if you're not signed up already):

TrueDelta | Enrollment

Old 02-12-2014, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Michael, aren't you CEO? How do you have time to personally infiltrate all these forums??

Old 02-24-2014, 11:27 AM

I don't sleep much.

That and I only make it to each forum once a quarter.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:13 AM

Updated stats for a couple years of the previous generation XJ later this month.

Unfortunately, we still need more owners for the current XJ signed up before we can include it.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:19 PM

Our reliability stats for the XJ now include owner experiences through March 31, 2014, making them nearly a year ahead of other sources.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2005 XJ: 129, high, very small sample size
2004 XJ: 79, moderate, very small sample size

The difference between these years is likely due to the sample sizes. I'd like to fix this

Thank you, once again, everyone who has been helping. Next update in August.

For a deeper dive, including the stats for other cars and repair descriptions, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Jaguar XJ reliability ratings and comparisons

Old 11-11-2014, 10:21 AM

The 2011 is now halfway.

To help get your year included:

Join TrueDelta

Quick Reply: Jaguar XJ reliability - better info