XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

The Leaper has Arrived

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 04:57 PM
ud
Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

YIKES! I impulsively started slapping the top of my head alternately with both hands and cannot stop...next I'm going to gouge my eyes out.

Old 10-16-2011, 05:08 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

When I look at the leaper on this new body style I can't help it but feel like I am looking at something like this.... It just doesn't work for me..

Attached Thumbnails The Leaper has Arrived-4555987988_cf63b1a74e_z.jpg  
Old 10-17-2011, 05:27 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

I think it depends on how you want your car to appear. I prefer it looking the way it was designed. As a sport luxury sedan. I haven't seen one in person but the leaper seems a little small for the size of the bonnet.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by MidwestJag
If I may post in a forum area in which I do not belong... I know there has been discussion whether the front leaper looks out of place on the new Jaguar design. Of course, to each their own. But I have to say, seeing it on your car, Barry, has made me think twice. I think it looks great. I especially like how far forward it is. Recently I think dealers have been setting them too far back on the hoods. The car looks fantastic. cheers,
Scott
I too am from another area, your leaper looks great. The comments about it not being appropriate for the "new" designs are ridiculous. Cars from the 20's to the early 2000's all had hood ornaments; cars which had different lines, designs, and belonged to different eras. For nearly 100 years they graced the bows of many brands not because they where necessary, but because of what they represented and because they conveyed a sense of continuity with the past. Sadly, Jaguar has jumped on the trend of banishing the iconic ornament from the bonnets of their cars. At least the MB star is not going anywhere anytime soon. I doubt MB owners would put up with such progressive stupidity.

Again, good choice on adding the leaper. Looks great.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:20 AM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Spikepaga
I too am from another area, your leaper looks great. The comments about it not being appropriate for the "new" designs are ridiculous. Cars from the 20's to the early 2000's all had hood ornaments; cars which had different lines, designs, and belonged to different eras. For nearly 100 years they graced the bows of many brands not because they where necessary, but because of what they represented and because they conveyed a sense of continuity with the past. Sadly, Jaguar has jumped on the trend of banishing the iconic ornament from the bonnets of their cars. At least the MB star is not going anywhere anytime soon. I doubt MB owners would put up with such progressive stupidity.

Again, good choice on adding the leaper. Looks great.
Well I am from this area and not to get into a debate I will have to disagree. First, the MB star is going away. It is not on most of the new cars from the S class to the C class unless you want it and definitely it is not on any of its sports car. I live in German and I see them all the time. Second, ornaments do not look right on all cars based on design which is why they are going away. Some cars like the Bentley or Rolls Royce will never get rid of them but other cars look better with them integrated in the grill and the new Jaguars are in that category. Now if a person wants to put one on its their call because its there car just like I saw a youtube video of a guy who put lights in his rims so that they light up at night. I happen to think it looks gaudy for a 7 series and something you would find on a rice burner but if it makes that guy happy to each their own.

Old 10-21-2011, 01:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by ExpatJag
Well I am from this area and not to get into a debate I will have to disagree. First, the MB star is going away. It is not on most of the new cars from the S class to the C class unless you want it and definitely it is not on any of its sports car. I live in German and I see them all the time. Second, ornaments do not look right on all cars based on design which is why they are going away. Some cars like the Bentley or Rolls Royce will never get rid of them but other cars look better with them integrated in the grill and the new Jaguars are in that category. Now if a person wants to put one on its their call because its there car just like I saw a youtube video of a guy who put lights in his rims so that they light up at night. I happen to think it looks gaudy for a 7 series and something you would find on a rice burner but if it makes that guy happy to each their own.
First of all a quick look at the MB website clearly shows that the star is standard on the e class and s class, optional on the c class.
Second, comparing a time honored automotive tradition to tacky lights is really like saying a tie and skinny pants are the same thing. The cars "modern" design really has nothing to do with it. The leaper fit well on a Mark 2, Mark 9, Mark 10, XJ 40, X300 and X350. These where all different cars with different designs, and modern for their time (well maybe not the X350) Jaguar could have incorporated the leaper into the new XJ but instead of standing out decided to follow the trend of replacing traditions with a regime of non-stop novelty.

The leaper on the original poster's car is both fitting and tasteful, regardless of the comparissons with tacky items like bullhorns or accesory lights. As a matter of fact the car looks like a modern Mark10 with the large high bonnet:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mk10_Jaguar.jpg

Old 10-21-2011, 02:10 AM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Spikepaga
First of all a quick look at the MB website clearly shows that the star is standard on the e class and s class, optional on the c class.
Second, comparing a time honored automotive tradition to tacky lights is really like saying a tie and skinny pants are the same thing. The cars "modern" design really has nothing to do with it. The leaper fit well on a Mark 2, Mark 9, Mark 10, XJ 40, X300 and X350. These where all different cars with different designs, and modern for their time (well maybe not the X350) Jaguar could have incorporated the leaper into the new XJ but instead of standing out decided to follow the trend of replacing traditions with a regime of non-stop novelty.

The leaper on the original poster's car is both fitting and tasteful, regardless of the comparissons with tacky items like bullhorns or accesory lights. As a matter of fact the car looks like a modern Mark10 with the large high bonnet:

File:Mk10 Jaguar.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I am mistaken in two respects. First, you are correct the S Class still has the emblem. Which is completely understandable because it looks proper on it. I wouldnt consider it remotely sporter in any sense of the word. The E-Class Sedan and Wagon has it but thats about it. The rest of the E-Class series does not. Second, not all of Bentley's cars have the hood ornement. The Continentals do not and neither does the flagship Mulsanne which wouldnt look bad with it. I am sure you can get it if you want it.

As far as a time honored tradition let's be for real. It's a hood ornament. And car designer's should be allowed to reinterpet or create within the confines of the heritage of their organization. Maybe it shouldn't have been called an XJ. But where the previous XJ's because of their stance looked proper with an hood ornment I and I emphasis "I" don't feel the new XJ does which is probably why its not on there in the first place but at is at least an option for the people that want it. Some people like the black C-pillars I personally did not so I painted them. And what I was comparing is what people like has to do with taste and not specifically on actually looks good.

As long as he is happy with his ornament thats all that matters. But as an owner of the car you will not sell me on it.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:37 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I may be wrong here but this is what I heard. The leaper as well as others were removed for a safety reason. Has anyone heard the same?

Old 10-21-2011, 07:49 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck08XJR
I may be wrong here but this is what I heard. The leaper as well as others were removed for a safety reason. Has anyone heard the same?
Why for safety reasons was the little jaguar biting people?

Last edited by MiaXfsc; 10-21-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18,431 Likes on 7,432 Posts

I thought it was those guys across the pond impaling slow pedestrians with leaper

Old 10-22-2011, 12:27 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jayt2
I thought it was those guys across the pond impaling slow pedestrians with leaper
yes that is what I heard. Stabbing slow peds. Has anyone else heard that?

Old 01-31-2012, 05:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the leaper looks kinda cool, makes one feel nostalgic if they've had an XJ before.

To those talking about the departure from hood ornaments, MB doesn't have them standard on their cars anymore, they are a cost option (where I'm from anyway) except on the S class.

WRT Jaguars, the leaping cat was dropped due to pedestrian safety regulations, namely from the EU. The head of the cat when striking a pedestrian proved to be fatal. Imagine a 1.5 ton car moving at 10-15 mph and you absorb that force through 1 sq inch!

So yeah Jag didn't have a choice

Old 02-13-2012, 05:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where did you get the Mataiva wheels and what was the cost?

Old 02-14-2012, 09:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

To each is own, but I think you've just lowered your $70k+ XJ to the status of Kia Amanti.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:00 PM
Received 110 Likes on 83 Posts

I think it looks nice! However, there are strong arguments against it. I personally enjoy the 4-headlamp design car with or without the leaper, especiallty the X308. I will say, a coupe is very weird looking with a leaper. I've seen XJS and XK8s with leapers, and I always hate it. The XJ and the XF are a little confused, but it's still a Jaguar saloon. The coupe styling doesn't interfere too much Imo.

Ian

Old 02-14-2012, 11:16 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I like it. It looks good and distinguishes your car from all the others without the leaper.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:06 PM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I've only been an XJL owner for two days, so I'm sure that my opinion doesn't carry any weight around here. When I was at the dealer yesterday awaiting the final detailing on my new car, I was looking at the accessories for sale and noticed the hood ornament allegedly specifically designed for XJ models. I wasn't sure what it would actually look like on an XJ or if anyone had actually put one on, so I came to the board this morning and ran a search on hood ornament and found this thread. Not to disparage the OP, but after seeing his pictures, I have to say that I think the cat looks out of place on the hood of the XJ. I'm glad that the OP and others like it, but I definitely won't be adding one to my car.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:01 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MadManOfBethesda
I've only been an XJL owner for two days, so I'm sure that my opinion doesn't carry any weight around here. When I was at the dealer yesterday awaiting the final detailing on my new car, I was looking at the accessories for sale and noticed the hood ornament allegedly specifically designed for XJ models. I wasn't sure what it would actually look like on an XJ or if anyone had actually put one on, so I came to the board this morning and ran a search on hood ornament and found this thread. Not to disparage the OP, but after seeing his pictures, I have to say that I think the cat looks out of place on the hood of the XJ. I'm glad that the OP and others like it, but I definitely won't be adding one to my car.

Congratulations on your new purchase! Colors?

Old 04-02-2012, 01:08 AM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by gostratusgray
Congratulations on your new purchase! Colors?
Thank you. Claret with truffle/cashew interior.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:14 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MadManOfBethesda
Thank you. Claret with truffle/cashew interior.
Very nice combination! I almost went with that.

Quick Reply: The Leaper has Arrived