XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

More issues after picking it up yesterday! When does it stop?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 11:57 AM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by DickK
As I read the troubles expressed by some new XJ owners, I think that I am driving a different car. My upgrade was performed 2 weeks ago and was told that there were some 60 pages of upgrades including a new audio module.

I do have some continuing issues with the software including the need to "agree" to the navigation caution message each time you turn on the ignition. In my opinion, this is more distracting and dangerous than the actions it is trying to warn against. It would be better if you could use the voice command to "agree".

However, all in all, it is a decent software package and one that Jaguar will continue to improve.

However, the car itself is a wonder. I own the supercharged XJL version and enjoy every minute I am in it. I have owned Porsche, MB, BMW and am coming out of an SL500. This car has drawn more favorable comments (it seems like hundreds) than any other car I have owned. It drives with a unique personality (with a feline type growl that seems to respond to your commands) and is scarily fast.

I especially like the fact that its various modes (regular, dynamic and sport) operate to select the correct parameters without having to go through different menu selections for the transmission, suspension, steering and shifting. I also like the smooth quiet ride and excellent sound system.

Perhaps the best thing is that my wife fell in love with its looks while commenting negatively about the S class and 7 series it was competing against. Also, when we are with another couple, there is competition to ride in the rear seat which has more legroom than a first class airline seat, and provides such luxuries like a separate sunroof, seat heater/cooler, separate climate controls for each seat and side and rear sunshades (all standard). Did I mention the drop down writing table?

Not to be snooty, if you can't afford to have the car detailed once in a while, stick with something in your price range and don't complain about a smudge left by a mechanic.

My experience with Jaguar service is that they bend over backwards to make the car perfect, never charge for consumables, offer to pick up and deliver the car to my home and are totally respectful. Compare this to a $150 charge for "changing the brake fluid" on my Mercedes (which came without warning).

I am an early adopter and sometimes suffer for it. However, in this case the joy has far outweighed the pain.
Good comments--sounds like you have a very competent dealer. I've stated it before, this makes all the difference in the world. Jaguar has worked out the bugs and it is up to the dealers to implement the fixes and some are just better at it than others--I'm sure this will change over time as more dealers get up to speed with their techs. My dealer struggled a little on my car since it was the first one they delivered, but they stuck with it and now everything is functioning properly. I know that Jaguar does not take negative comments about its dealers lightly--there must be some financial incentive from Jaguar for the dealers to get high marks from their customers. If a dealer is not performing to a customer's satisfaction, going up the ladder to Jaguar should have a positive effect.

These first year car problems are not something that should scare people away from buying this car, especially since the fixes have been identified and are now being done at the factory. Yes, some of the features could be improved upon (there's never enough technology to satisfy some people), but I didn't buy the car as an entertainment center. Those features are more than adequate for me--it was the styling and performance that sold me and I am more than satisfied. There aren't a lot of luxury sedans out there that turn heads like this one and can outrun a Corvette or Porsche.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:26 PM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by DickK
As I read the troubles expressed by some new XJ owners, I think that I am driving a different car. My upgrade was performed 2 weeks ago and was told that there were some 60 pages of upgrades including a new audio module.

I do have some continuing issues with the software including the need to "agree" to the navigation caution message each time you turn on the ignition. In my opinion, this is more distracting and dangerous than the actions it is trying to warn against. It would be better if you could use the voice command to "agree".

However, all in all, it is a decent software package and one that Jaguar will continue to improve.

However, the car itself is a wonder. I own the supercharged XJL version and enjoy every minute I am in it. I have owned Porsche, MB, BMW and am coming out of an SL500. This car has drawn more favorable comments (it seems like hundreds) than any other car I have owned. It drives with a unique personality (with a feline type growl that seems to respond to your commands) and is scarily fast.

I especially like the fact that its various modes (regular, dynamic and sport) operate to select the correct parameters without having to go through different menu selections for the transmission, suspension, steering and shifting. I also like the smooth quiet ride and excellent sound system.

Perhaps the best thing is that my wife fell in love with its looks while commenting negatively about the S class and 7 series it was competing against. Also, when we are with another couple, there is competition to ride in the rear seat which has more legroom than a first class airline seat, and provides such luxuries like a separate sunroof, seat heater/cooler, separate climate controls for each seat and side and rear sunshades (all standard). Did I mention the drop down writing table?

Not to be snooty, if you can't afford to have the car detailed once in a while, stick with something in your price range and don't complain about a smudge left by a mechanic.

My experience with Jaguar service is that they bend over backwards to make the car perfect, never charge for consumables, offer to pick up and deliver the car to my home and are totally respectful. Compare this to a $150 charge for "changing the brake fluid" on my Mercedes (which came without warning).

I am an early adopter and sometimes suffer for it. However, in this case the joy has far outweighed the pain.
I am glad you are wrigin about the good. Eventhough I still have a roof popping noise (which is driving me crazy) my dealer is always bending over backwards to accommodate me. Eventhough they had to do all this fixes just before I took delivery (and another visit thereafter) I didn't find a single speck of dirt, scratch or anything like that. And...everything (all minor stuff non withstanding the roof noise) is fixed, stayed fixed and works well, almost great. A few more software upgrades may get the electronic screen probably a bit more user friendly.
I came out of a Mercedes CLS63 AMG, had all kind of other in that segment, and I tell you, I LOVE THE CAR. I simply enjoy driving it.
That said, I really hope they can fix the roof noise as I really don't want to be annoyed by it any more but still, I would hate to see that car go.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by gears
I am glad you are wrigin about the good. Eventhough I still have a roof popping noise (which is driving me crazy) my dealer is always bending over backwards to accommodate me. Eventhough they had to do all this fixes just before I took delivery (and another visit thereafter) I didn't find a single speck of dirt, scratch or anything like that. And...everything (all minor stuff non withstanding the roof noise) is fixed, stayed fixed and works well, almost great. A few more software upgrades may get the electronic screen probably a bit more user friendly.
I came out of a Mercedes CLS63 AMG, had all kind of other in that segment, and I tell you, I LOVE THE CAR. I simply enjoy driving it.
That said, I really hope they can fix the roof noise as I really don't want to be annoyed by it any more but still, I would hate to see that car go.
Hang in there. The roof popping is very annoying and it took my dealer a few stabs at it, but they finally got it to stop for good and didn't marr up the car in the process. It can be done.

Old 12-19-2010, 04:11 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

HouTex, maybe send a PM to gears with your dealer contact info, and the service guy (look on your no charge invoice) that did the work. Maybe just a quick call between the techs may be all it takes. Couldn't hurt.

The following users liked this post:
gears (12-20-2010)
Old 12-20-2010, 12:03 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Perhaps I am in the minority or just lucky so far, but I have not had many of the problems I read about daily in this forum. That said, some of the issues sound major while others appear to be minor. This is a judgement that every owner needs to determine for himself of course.

For me, for very minor things, I have decided not to run back to the dealer for every little thing. For example, one time the heated steering wheel did not activate, but did later. I will either go there when there a few things to address at once or wait for my routine maintenance. As much as I like my dealer, I don't want to live there.

In the mean time, I am so loving driving this car! I am also a big user of the controls left of the steering wheel to navigate through audio choices. I also use voice commands a lot for my blackberry phonebook and navigation. This allows me not to use the touch screen much while driving.

My Jaguar dealer is located close to my old Mercedes dealership and they arranged for the return of my 2008 S550. I stopped by the Mercedes dealership since my wife wants a Mercedes GL SUV to replace our Land Rover LR3. While at the dealer, I confirmed that my old car had been returned. They asked how I liked the XJ and I sang its praises. The guys at Mercedes also agreed that the XJ is sweet as well.

Last edited by jstewperry; 12-20-2010 at 09:41 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramp
Lexus= reliable and boring. Never saw a lexus that I ever had any interest in. I don't even stop in to look. Go drive the Jag.
Absolutely. I just got off the Lexus train. I fell asleep on it!

Last edited by amcdonal86; 12-20-2010 at 08:22 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by h20boy
HouTex, maybe send a PM to gears with your dealer contact info, and the service guy (look on your no charge invoice) that did the work. Maybe just a quick call between the techs may be all it takes. Couldn't hurt.
Yep, that is a great suggestion. Hopefully we can get the dealer techs to communicate. Weird thing is.....not a single noise today. So i will watch this a while before bringing it back. I enjoy driving it too much.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Absolutely. I just got off the Lexus train. I fell asleep on it!
Haha...i can understand. My wife got one and she has to keep waking me up when I drive it. They are simply too perfect and boring. Excellent cars no doubt, jost nothing for enthusiasts.

Old 12-24-2010, 05:27 PM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

@Dick - I shouldn't have to pay someone any amount of money to detail my brand new car after I took it to the shop for Jaguar to fix it. Clay marks, on the roof, no matter how they got there, isn't my job to fix.

To continue to update regarding my issues.

I got the car back yesterday. The service manager, my service rep and the tech all got in the car to 'go over' the issues I'm having. I've mad over 25 videos, but no one wanted to see them, no matter how many times I offered.

I 'tested' the voice command, Ipod, etc... it seemed to work. Well, like the last three times, the SECOND I get half way home, the radio starts turning itself off and on... so I tried additional stations, same thing. I tried the Ipod. It said, "No playable audio", then "loading Ipod". It would then play a track for maybe 15 seconds, then say, "no playable audio" again. So I tried the CD. Same thing. Just 'loading audio', then 'no playable audio'. I tried multiple CD's and a second new Ipod - nothing.

I also noticed the that phone icon on the screen was going on and off... I tried to use my phone to test that. The bluetooth would 'engage', meaning, it would appear the phone was connected, but I couldn't hear anything, nor could the person calling me.

I could continue to go on and on, but I'd be repeating myself. This was the FOURTH time in under a month of me owning the car that I've had to return it again...

...here is what the service center told me.

They said. "Your battery was almost dead and because of the lower voltage, the computer decides to turn things off/on to conserve battery life. That the car wouldn't 'slow crank' if the battery was dead, it just wouldn't start". I told them, 'that makes sense if it's true and I hope it works'.

Well regardless... I'm having to take it back Monday. What's aggravating is that the next closest Jaguar dealership isn't easy to get to so it's inconvenient regardless.

As this was the fourth time trying to get the infotainment system working and I've only technically had possesion of the car for 5 days out of 25, I'm talking to an attorney about what protections I'm afforded in Florida under the lemon law buy back program, since I can and have verified four times that they have not fixed my car. I've been very pleasant with my dealership. Haven't yelled, pitched a fit, nothing. But paying for a car that isn't operating as it's supposed too - isn't what I'm about.

Old 12-24-2010, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by New2Jag
@Dick - I shouldn't have to pay someone any amount of money to detail my brand new car after I took it to the shop for Jaguar to fix it. Clay marks, on the roof, no matter how they got there, isn't my job to fix.

To continue to update regarding my issues.

I got the car back yesterday. The service manager, my service rep and the tech all got in the car to 'go over' the issues I'm having. I've mad over 25 videos, but no one wanted to see them, no matter how many times I offered.

I 'tested' the voice command, Ipod, etc... it seemed to work. Well, like the last three times, the SECOND I get half way home, the radio starts turning itself off and on... so I tried additional stations, same thing. I tried the Ipod. It said, "No playable audio", then "loading Ipod". It would then play a track for maybe 15 seconds, then say, "no playable audio" again. So I tried the CD. Same thing. Just 'loading audio', then 'no playable audio'. I tried multiple CD's and a second new Ipod - nothing.

I also noticed the that phone icon on the screen was going on and off... I tried to use my phone to test that. The bluetooth would 'engage', meaning, it would appear the phone was connected, but I couldn't hear anything, nor could the person calling me.

I could continue to go on and on, but I'd be repeating myself. This was the FOURTH time in under a month of me owning the car that I've had to return it again...

...here is what the service center told me.

They said. "Your battery was almost dead and because of the lower voltage, the computer decides to turn things off/on to conserve battery life. That the car wouldn't 'slow crank' if the battery was dead, it just wouldn't start". I told them, 'that makes sense if it's true and I hope it works'.

Well regardless... I'm having to take it back Monday. What's aggravating is that the next closest Jaguar dealership isn't easy to get to so it's inconvenient regardless.

As this was the fourth time trying to get the infotainment system working and I've only technically had possesion of the car for 5 days out of 25, I'm talking to an attorney about what protections I'm afforded in Florida under the lemon law buy back program, since I can and have verified four times that they have not fixed my car. I've been very pleasant with my dealership. Haven't yelled, pitched a fit, nothing. But paying for a car that isn't operating as it's supposed too - isn't what I'm about.
When my car was at the dealer last time for 2 1/2 weeks (and they finally got everything fixed) they noticed that the battery was about dead and replaced it before I picked it up. Probably all of the fiddling with the electronics during the "fixes" without running the engine killed the battery. Seems like your dealer should have checked this out and replaced the battery before telling you all was well.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:36 PM

They said they replaced it... so we'll see.

Old 12-25-2010, 09:19 AM
Default Battery issue

There is a TSB out instrucing dealers on certain cars to replace batteries for that exact reasons. They found some batteries MAY have been worn out while some of the electronic issues had been worked on, in most parts on cars not even delivered to end customer. They just want to make sure.

Also, please make sure to try all your stuff WITHOUT any bluetooh phone around and see if it happens in that case as well. My bluetooh "reconnects" on rare occassions and that interrupts audio play briefly. BUT, with so many different phones out there, I will not even mention it to Jaguar as I can't blame them for Bluetooth variety's of all the phone makers.

It souds a bit concerning that your dealer isn't even willing to watch your videos. If I would be a tech, I definately would see if there is helpful info in there. What can I loose by watching it. And further more, at one time this matter should be verified as it gives the dealer a chance to get all the expensive modules replaced by showing Jaguar that it is reallly happening. If I'd be you I would seriously look for another dealer. If they kept the car that long, didn't they test drive enough. LIke you said, you left the dealership and the problems came back on the way back? Or right after?

Like I said, I would not trust that dealership anylonger after so many attempts and refusing to get your detailed info from video. And...no you should not have to pay anybody nor should you even have to worry about your car being dirty when picked up.

Whenever I picked up the car at my dealer, it was clean as can be. And if I would mention with one word otherwise, they would bend over backwards on the spot to do whatever it takes to clean it, make it right or whatever. Your dealer should do the same. Or they shouldn't even high end cars.

Old 12-25-2010, 09:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Luck

New2Jag:
I didn't want to diminish the problems you are having which would drive a sane man crazy, but to advise that the car has a lot to offer and is capable of being fixed. Also, to suggest that you pick your battles rather than leveling a broadside against a car that really is widely accepted as being a refreshing departure from the cars in its class.

I bought my car in Jacksonville; where did you get yours (you mentioned Florida)?

Good luck (and patience) in the new year!

Old 12-25-2010, 12:18 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

You guys should read this article that talks about the battery drainage problem. It's a british design flaw that has to do with you having to always lock the car and keep the keys at least 30ft away from it, so it won't stay in "stand by" mode and drain the battery. Pretty dumb logic if you ask me...

Old 12-25-2010, 04:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have to strongly support the comment that the dealership makes all the difference in the world ! This is a high end exciting and wonderful automobile that was released a bit too soon before it was "matured" . If the dealerships supports the vehicle with pride and competence that measures up to the standard do it the buyer will come away with a very special fully functional prize. Also the buyer should not leave the dealership with this sophisticated car without being fully educated about all of it's systems and how to work them.

Old 12-25-2010, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Maybe_XJ
You guys should read this article that talks about the battery drainage problem. It's a british design flaw that has to do with you having to always lock the car and keep the keys at least 30ft away from it, so it won't stay in "stand by" mode and drain the battery. Pretty dumb logic if you ask me...
Someone else posted about this as well. I keep my car in the garage unlocked (the fob is kept inside more than 30' away) and have never had a low battery warning, even when I was out of town for 3 weeks, so I'm not sure how valid this problem is.

Old 12-25-2010, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Celestial
I have to strongly support the comment that the dealership makes all the difference in the world ! This is a high end exciting and wonderful automobile that was released a bit too soon before it was "matured" . If the dealerships supports the vehicle with pride and competence that measures up to the standard do it the buyer will come away with a very special fully functional prize. Also the buyer should not leave the dealership with this sophisticated car without being fully educated about all of it's systems and how to work them.
Aren't you in Tampa? Maybe you could turn New2Jag on to your dealer that you seem very satisfied with. He sure is struggling with his.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by HouTexJag
Someone else posted about this as well. I keep my car in the garage unlocked (the fob is kept inside more than 30' away) and have never had a low battery warning, even when I was out of town for 3 weeks, so I'm not sure how valid this problem is.
My car is in the garage unlocked ALL the time. Sometimes the keys are close by. Sometimes they are about 20 ft. away. I NEVER had the battery drainage problem.

In regards to dealership; my point exactly. The car was released just a tad early. And with a competent supportive dealer that shouldn't be a major issue. Seems some dealers don't get the idea that they have to be a TEAM with the manufacturer to be successful. Some dealers seem to be missing the fact that this is a complex high end automibile and not some "off the rack" high volume produced car.

Old 12-26-2010, 05:36 PM

@DickK - I realize that and I do pick my battles, but when the same things are wrong with the car 100% of the time and tomorrow (the 27th) will be the FOURTH time bringing it back, it's aggravating. It wouldn't be bad if it was something simple like the rear tray not folding down right now - I could live with that. But when I can't:

A) Listen to more than one radio station
B) Play my Ipod
C) Play music via BT through Droid
D) Sync phone to talke through BT
E) Use the navigation
F) Listen to a CD
G) Hear music out of the left side of the car as of yesterday
H) Leave it on one submenu longer than 2 seconds without it going back to the home screen (this one is particularly annoying as I can't get past the first sub menu to do anything)

...it gets tiresome. I don't like it quiet in my car, I'm not my grandfather... I like it at 80mpg on the interstate with the windows down, sunroof open and the music up loud.

I've recorded EVERYTHING on video... and I mean everything. It started with simple 7 second clips, now they are 2 minutes long with me going through every instance of what's not working, while making sure I show how many miles there are on the car so they can't say it was before I bought it.

I love the car - don't get me wrong. Anyone that has been in it thinks it's the most luxurious car they've ever been in. It drives like it's a bullet train and has the looks to go with it... but again, the 'cool parts' of the car don't work.

So far, their fixes, over the course of 15 days, was to hard reset the car three times and replace the battery... that's it. All the same things have been wrong since day one. I've made them list after list after list, only to hear "your car is ready".... I come back, get it, drive 5 miles and everything goes to ****.

Old 12-26-2010, 05:40 PM

Oh - and I am in Tampa and have been dealing with Jaguar of Tampa. I found the same car I bought, for less money, but opted for the 'local experience and service' over saving a couple of bucks. The closest Jaguar dealership isn't close to me and having to drop it off in St Pete or Sarasota would be a long drive.

Quick Reply: More issues after picking it up yesterday! When does it stop?