XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

More issues after picking it up yesterday! When does it stop?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 11:28 AM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Default More issues after picking it up yesterday! When does it stop?

If you reference my other post, I had the electronic glitch issue that plagues a lot of these cars. Nothing worked. I took it back Thursday of last week and got it back yesterday morning. Everything seemed to be working fine until I tried the voice command features.

I couldn't get it to go past the menus... meaning, when you say, "navigation goto address", it says, "the navigation warning advisory has not been accepted", or something to that effect. I can assure you that I had selected it previously, but made sure to 'be sure'.

Anyways. I tried it again, same thing. I tried, 'goto postcode', same thing. So I thought, maybe this is limited to the NAV.

I then tried, "CD track 7", it said, "no CD was in the slot"... again, I can assure you it was. I actually video tapped most of this so Jaguar couldn't say it wasn't malfunctioning for them.

So I thought, maybe it's limited to the CD and NAV and tried the XM. Same GD thing.

I like gadgets, I like complex machines, I really do, but the navigation destination selection menu is 4 sub menus down and a PITA to enter an address, so being able to use the voice prompt ranked up there on my "why I'm buying this car" meter. I can't get anything to work right on this thing. This will be the fourth time in 2 weeks I will have had to bring it back.

Since I've brought it in there... they have dirtied the passenger a-pillar and the rear drivers pillar with what looks like clay, no idea where that came from. AND - there is a 3 inch long scratch on the screen that, if it's sunny out, you can see clear as day.

I've been very patient with this thing and haven't gotten upset, but I have not gotten to enjoy this car at all and with all these issues, it has me imminently regretting purchasing this vehicle. My 08' Escalade has 50k miles on it and runs fine. I'm not one to bitch and moan like some people, but if you think about it, I've had the car for one day... they've had it for 13. If you take what I pay for the car, it's cost me a few hundred bucks for them to try and fix these things.

Am I just SOL and need to keep bringing it back until all is well or is there anything that can be done about this because quite frankly, I'm ready to drive it off a bridge.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:55 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

In order to use the voice commands for nav, you must have already gone to the nav screen manually and pressed the "accept" button on the navigation warning advisory screen. Then the map will appear and you can use the voice commands. Every time you turn off the car you have to do this again. If you did this and still cannot use the voice commands, then your system is not functioning.

Sounds like you have an incompetent dealer problem that is causing a lot of owners of the new XJ heartburn. If they can't fix anything right, put their grimey hands everwhere, and leave scratches, then you need to find another dealer that has more knowledge of and respect for your high-end car. There is no excuse for this--everything can be fixed permanently on this car by the right personnel and you don't have to get it back worse off than when you took it in.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boy you hit home with that description, last time I took mine in they got grease all over everything, scratched the console cover and generally mucked up the work they did in a very half as$ed way. I took the car home and it took me 2 hours to clean up after the ape they had working on my car!

Old 12-15-2010, 06:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like dealer issues and that is completely unacceptable. If I went to pick up my new car and found grease/dirt I would not take the car back. This is not a 3 year old toyota. You need to talk to the owner and if not remedied, you need to talk directly to Jaguar NA.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:56 PM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Nav Issue

Make sure you have the correct language selected. Go to touch (NAV)screen, push set-up, push language, select English(US), confirm. Also, you have to select the disclaimer everytime you shut of the car off like the post above stated, that's just the way it is. The CD player may be an audio module software issue. The dealer dirtying up you car isn't cool. Advice, for dealerships, take 5 minutes when you done with interior work and and clean up any marks, or scuffs that were made. Just 5 minutes, if that.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:19 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

we took our car back in and they have had it 2 weeks this saturday...first time they greased up the car and scuffed it up. i complained to jag na and it got back to the dealership. service mgr called me and said he will make it right...he even is going to install the lighted door sill treadplates for my troubles free of charge!

Old 12-15-2010, 11:14 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi Guys,

First post here, and I registered because I currently own a LS460 and like the XJ new style a lot, so I am thinking about buying one. BUT..... upon reading horror stories here I am still pondering.

So I would like to know if anyone of the new XJ owners here had a LS460 before and can comment. The LS is nice on how intuitive all controls are, no menu levels, etc... very easy to use, voice recognition works fine, etc...

I want to switch - but I need to be convinced first. Not because the LS isn't great because it is in all aspects, but I get bored with cars after a couple of years and this XJ looks very cool!

Old 12-16-2010, 05:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus= reliable and boring. Never saw a lexus that I ever had any interest in. I don't even stop in to look. Go drive the Jag.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Ramp
Lexus= reliable and boring. Never saw a lexus that I ever had any interest in. I don't even stop in to look. Go drive the Jag.
Well if you ever drive a LS460 or a LS600 you might be impressed on how awesome these cars are. But anyways, I have test driven the new XJ Supercharged and in my point of view when in this class of car (Jag, S class, LS460/600, BMW 7, A8, etc...) there are always different things to be expected but I won't buy a car of this level that needs to be in the shop all the time.

Hence my registration here to see if any of you Jag owners would convince me that the annoyances are "tolerable" for this class of car and if those annoyances aren't pure and simple bad engineering.

Old 12-16-2010, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

The real question is - are you happy to be an "early adopter" ?

Some people always want the latest thing and are content to have to suffer from some problems during the first few months of production. I am in the IT industry, and I can remember one boss of a few years ago saying " you can do all the testing you like, but its only when it goes up on-line that the real faults are detected". Users tend to be better testers than the factory testers !! I have no doubt Jaguar will sort out the problems under the warranty, but the owners will have to visit dealers a bit more often than maybe they would like.

OK, so how do the Japs like Lexus seem to produce perfection out-of-the-box ? Probably by not innovating too much in a single car, but that is my opinion. Believe me I really do understand the importance of reliability in ones estimation, as I once had a Mazda Xedos, and it was Oh So Reliable, I can forgive an awful lot for that, but it was Oh So Boring too. Anyway, the car that came after it was Oh So Reliable, but not boring either - my Rover 75 V6, so it can be done, but mine was a car produced 3 years after the car was first put on sale, proving my point about early production.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:25 PM

The Jag is one sleek car. I had some very older couple ask me one night if I was 'the driver' of that vehicle... meaning, was I a chauffer? I took it as a compliment because I was dressed real nice and the car is obviously very executive looking. I've had people slow down to look at the car, swerve after staring, pull next to me to ask "what kind of car is that"... so in that regards, I enjoy the car to the fullest, ESPECIALLY at night - boy is it awesome at night.

HOWEVER. I am very dissatisfied with certain things. The voice command is sketchy at best, the latency between windows is also VERY annoying. It's so bad now that it decides when it wants to switch screens quickly and when it want's too slowly... it was so bad one morning, I recorded it on my phone (I keep a video log now of issues so when I take it to Jaguar tomorrow afternoon, they know what's going on with my car and can't say, 'we can't replicate it'). They also seem to think rebooting the car is the solution... the three times I took it in over the last three weeks... their 'solutions' was to 'hard reset' the car. It took them three days each time to do that? Seriously? I could have done that myself.

It is just adding insult to injury that when I get the car back, the screen was scratched AND the first time they had it, left clay marks all over the a-pillars. I pointed it out BOTH times I came back - ask me if it's fixed?

Regardless. If this car doesn't shape up, it's getting shipped out and I'm going with my first pick, an Aston Martin Vantage, which means I'll never own another Jaguar again as it's starting to really be past the point of diminishing returns as far as my enjoyability is concerned with this thing.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:32 PM

To elaborate a little more so others can reference this.

If I put it in reverse, typically, the back up camera would go on immediately (or close to it) and I could back up. Now. It stays on the Jaguar screen for 12 seconds, then goes to the main menu, the goes black THEN shows the rear view. I mean, the car has a ton of blind spots and is very low, so that BU camera is much needed (I'm used to my Escalade).

Also. If I said, "CD TRACK 7", it will try to load a Video CD I guess and will give me the error "No Video CD Available" or something like that. You'd think if a CD is in there, has been playing audio, that when you say, "CD TRACK 7", it goes to track 7 on the CD, not a phantom video CD.

I also still cannot download songs to the hard drive (nor do I know where the CD changer is).

As I said before. I'm pretty young and love gadgets, so this car should be easy for me, however, seeing how no one showed me how to use it NOR did I get a nice updated manual to explain everything else - I'm stuck having to learn my way through. Which unfortunately, ends up with me being pissed off.

And to comment on the two posts about not selecting the "Agree" button on the NAV screen, I did that first each time.

I think more sooner than later, someone will come out with a module you can plug in that tricks the car into thinking it's stopped, openign up menu usability whilst in motion.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:44 PM

Two things:

1) I wonder if Jaguar people read this forum.

2) You just convinced me to keep my Lexus LS460.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:53 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by New2Jag
To elaborate a little more so others can reference this.

If I put it in reverse, typically, the back up camera would go on immediately (or close to it) and I could back up. Now. It stays on the Jaguar screen for 12 seconds, then goes to the main menu, the goes black THEN shows the rear view. I mean, the car has a ton of blind spots and is very low, so that BU camera is much needed (I'm used to my Escalade).

Also. If I said, "CD TRACK 7", it will try to load a Video CD I guess and will give me the error "No Video CD Available" or something like that. You'd think if a CD is in there, has been playing audio, that when you say, "CD TRACK 7", it goes to track 7 on the CD, not a phantom video CD.

I also still cannot download songs to the hard drive (nor do I know where the CD changer is).

As I said before. I'm pretty young and love gadgets, so this car should be easy for me, however, seeing how no one showed me how to use it NOR did I get a nice updated manual to explain everything else - I'm stuck having to learn my way through. Which unfortunately, ends up with me being pissed off.

And to comment on the two posts about not selecting the "Agree" button on the NAV screen, I did that first each time.

I think more sooner than later, someone will come out with a module you can plug in that tricks the car into thinking it's stopped, openign up menu usability whilst in motion.
I am not experiencing any of these problems. My backup camera turns on and off perfectly. There is no delay in switching between any screens. The voice commands for the audio work perfectly--I can even string several commands together like "CD changer play disc 3 track 4" and it does it. The voice commands for the nav work perfectly as long as I press the "agree" button each time I start the car. I can upload CD's to the hard drive with no problems.

It sounds like your systems are seriously malfunctioning and now you are, unfortunately, at the mercy of your dealer to sort this out and it appears that they are incompentent. Try a different dealer for your warranty service and maybe they can do a better job. Comparing the XJ to an Aston Martin Vantage is like apples to oranges--comparing it to the Rapide would be more appropriate and not only does the XJ S/C outperform the Rapide, it's better looking, has a lot better rear seating accomodations, and is half the cost. I think both Porsche's and Aston Martin's attempt at designing a sedan by stretching their 2-door models was not very successful--they just don't have the right proportions in my opinion.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:44 AM

track list is on the right side of the radio screen.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:46 AM

on the claret one i have some gremlins, trunk open and close only works now and then, and the back up screen may or may not come on and occassionally the radio won't work. It is frustrating and hopefully will be fixed. It has been to the dealer many many times

Old 12-18-2010, 09:55 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by Maybe_XJ
Two things:

1) I wonder if Jaguar people read this forum.

2) You just convinced me to keep my Lexus LS460.
to -> Maybe_XJ, if you are that easily swayed by one owner's experience, a jaguar probably isn't the right car for you. I am assuming every LS460 has never had a computer glitch, especially in its first year of production. Hey, at least nobody will be approaching you at gas stations or mall parking lots taking up your time to ask you questions about or give you gleaming compliments about your LS.

If I am correct about the above statement, please let me know and I will forward a request to the administrator of the forum and remove your account. You can reach me through the Personal Message system on the forum.

Last edited by H20boy; 12-18-2010 at 09:56 AM. Reason: fixed some confusing text...
Old 12-18-2010, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by h20boy
to -> Maybe_XJ, if you are that easily swayed by one owner's experience, a jaguar probably isn't the right car for you. I am assuming every LS460 has never had a computer glitch, especially in its first year of production. Hey, at least nobody will be approaching you at gas stations or mall parking lots taking up your time to ask you questions about or give you gleaming compliments about your LS.

If I am correct about the above statement, please let me know and I will forward a request to the administrator of the forum and remove your account. You can reach me through the Personal Message system on the forum.
Oh come on man, I am not here to flame the Jag - I love the car for its new design and I am trying to like it from other angles too, including the amount of headaches it might or might not give me.

Funny you mentioned, I indeed was at a gas stations and has been approached with compliments about my current car several times, so that alone isn't a reason for writing this topic.

And you are correct, the LS **never** had a computer glitch since new, the only upgrades were of map POI icons and to remove the stupid "I agree" prompt - now it displays a warning message for 3 seconds and goes to the nav map automatically.

But anyways, I am not here to talk about the LS460, I am here to learn about the new Jag - but it seems like unfortunately for other manufacturers the bar has been set pretty high in the technology and reliability realm.

I want to drop 90k cash on a car - but I won't do it if that means I can't drive and enjoy the car because it has to sit in the shop. Not at this price point with other big players out there in the segment.

When people shop for cars they go by what they know and usually by having as a reference their current cars. That's all I'm doing, so don't take offense, if anything I might be helping Jaguar here if the people in Crewe bother to visit Jag forums.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:48 PM

Well, I know that 'resetting' my car isn't the solution to this problem, since I looked at all the service receipts and it says, "hard reset" was the solution for them.

The delays in switching screens as well as the camera not coming up quickly is a pretty big nuisance, especially since I'm used to being in a big vehicle and can see over everything and can't now.

We dropped the car off this afternoon. I gave them a list, 9 items, that were wrong. It got so bad this week that I now have 12 videos of all the items that need replacing. Since they won't get to it until Monday and since I am out of town until Wednesday, this dealership will have had my car for 2 weeks out of the 3 that I've owned it - which adds up to quite a bit of money since we did a short loan term.

Regardless. I'm going to keep updating this as detailed as possible to help possibly Jaguar figure out the issues. If I get the car back and it's not fixed and I have to bring it back a fourth time, I'm getting an attorney and filing suit against Jaguar to buy my car back under Florida's lemon law protection as Im not going through this any more, it's almost ruined my experience.

Old 12-18-2010, 05:39 PM
Default Satisfied XJ Owner

As I read the troubles expressed by some new XJ owners, I think that I am driving a different car. My upgrade was performed 2 weeks ago and was told that there were some 60 pages of upgrades including a new audio module.

I do have some continuing issues with the software including the need to "agree" to the navigation caution message each time you turn on the ignition. In my opinion, this is more distracting and dangerous than the actions it is trying to warn against. It would be better if you could use the voice command to "agree".

However, all in all, it is a decent software package and one that Jaguar will continue to improve.

However, the car itself is a wonder. I own the supercharged XJL version and enjoy every minute I am in it. I have owned Porsche, MB, BMW and am coming out of an SL500. This car has drawn more favorable comments (it seems like hundreds) than any other car I have owned. It drives with a unique personality (with a feline type growl that seems to respond to your commands) and is scarily fast.

I especially like the fact that its various modes (regular, dynamic and sport) operate to select the correct parameters without having to go through different menu selections for the transmission, suspension, steering and shifting. I also like the smooth quiet ride and excellent sound system.

Perhaps the best thing is that my wife fell in love with its looks while commenting negatively about the S class and 7 series it was competing against. Also, when we are with another couple, there is competition to ride in the rear seat which has more legroom than a first class airline seat, and provides such luxuries like a separate sunroof, seat heater/cooler, separate climate controls for each seat and side and rear sunshades (all standard). Did I mention the drop down writing table?

Not to be snooty, if you can't afford to have the car detailed once in a while, stick with something in your price range and don't complain about a smudge left by a mechanic.

My experience with Jaguar service is that they bend over backwards to make the car perfect, never charge for consumables, offer to pick up and deliver the car to my home and are totally respectful. Compare this to a $150 charge for "changing the brake fluid" on my Mercedes (which came without warning).

I am an early adopter and sometimes suffer for it. However, in this case the joy has far outweighed the pain.

Quick Reply: More issues after picking it up yesterday! When does it stop?