XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

My New 2012 XJL - 4 weeks on

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 12:12 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default My New 2012 XJL - 4 weeks on

So here are my thoughts, so far.

I have now had the car for 4 weeks and am totally in love!

Had a couple of problems with the bluetooth not always connecting with my phone and the car sometimes failing to recognize the key fob. Both problems superbly taken care of by my dealer. The dealer is great. XF loaner cars and very responsive, with updates every couple of hours.

Before leasing the car, I spent many weeks going back and forth between the XJ and the Audi A8. We have owned a number of Audis and love them. However, to me, the A8 just looks like a large A6. Audi USA gave me use of a brand new A8 for a week (yes, really) and although it was a fine car in many ways, the styling is nowhere near as nice as the XJ. I test drove the Jag twice and made my decision.

4 weeks on I have absolutely no regrets. This car turns heads, big time and drives like a dream. I have the 5.0 normally aspirated engine which, in my opinion, is more than powerful enough for the vast majority of people. I did also test drive the supercharged version (which goes like a rocket) but decided that the regular engine had more than enough power for me.

I first saw the new XJ at the Los Angeles auto show, before it was on sale in the USA. It was love at first sight! I remember saying to my wife that the new XJ is the nearest thing I have seen to a Bentley, at a third of the price. In fact, I think it is far nicer looking than the Bentley.

If anyone reading this has any doubts about buying this car, if I were you, I wouldn't hesitate. The couple of minor problems I have had did not faze me at all as I love this car too much to let a few issues bother me.

Every night, before I go to bed, I go into the garage and spend 10 minutes with this car, admiring her sheer beauty and the quality, fit and finish of the interior. All cars have that 'new car smell' but not like this one. In my opinion, the British wood and leather is the best there is.

I didn't particularly need the long wheelbase but I am very pleased that I got it. The extra room is fabulous, along with the separate a/c for the rear and the figured ebony wood, which I particularly wanted and is not available on the short wheelbase.

Best regards,

Roger

Last edited by rogerdodger; 09-09-2012 at 12:13 PM. Reason: double typing
The following users liked this post:
ExpatJag (09-15-2012)
Old 09-18-2012, 10:43 AM
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Excellent Post, Roger, great reading the thoughts of a fellow XJL owner...I couldn't agree with you more.

Got a nice little real-life joke to share with you guys. This past weekend my wife and I attended an open house and free multi-point inspection at my dealership, and while we were there I was showing my wife another Silver XJL on the main showroom floor, but one which had the illumination package installed.
As I was showing her the illuminated tread plate on the front passenger side and telling her how cool it looks, another gentleman (not sure if he was a potential customer or fellow Jag owner) who happened to be sitting in the driver side checking out the interior gadgets and admiring the finish of the car, said to me: "You need this one!", to which I couldn't help but reply: "I have this one!" . The look on his face was absolutely priceless!
However, I then softened the shock a bit and told him that if he was in the market for this car then I would whole heartedly recommend it since it is a beautiful car and I absolutely love it!

The following 3 users liked this post by LiquidIce:
Angus (09-19-2012), ExpatJag (09-18-2012), Jffcurt (09-18-2012)