XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

My XJ X351 ownership thread...

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

Does the software boot up faster now after the repairs?

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 07:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolfy
Does the software boot up faster now after the repairs?

Too early to tell properly, but initially I'd say yes, so far.....

Yeah, progress for sure, some good communication today too, spent quite some time chatting with the tech as well....decent access all round so far,

The plus I forgot to mention was that the car was low on DEF fluid and had recently shown a warning for a top up required. I actually had this in place to resolve mid week next week, but, they've actually topped it up with 11 litres free of charge, a nice wee win of sorts.

Jim

Old 06-29-2018, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member

Well, as I don't seem to have any time these days, I've contracted out the detailing of the X351, looks like...

A good friend of mine at Anonymous detailing, now Reep Scotland will take it on, checking the first weekend he has free and will come back to me, a damn good price too so why not I thought

This was the results he achieved on a 2 stage correction on my X358 a few years ago..

Video here..

Looking forward to getting her done and seeing the results, soon hopefully...

Jim

GGG (06-30-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 05:30 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Originally Posted by JimC64
..... This was the results he achieved on a 2 stage correction on my X358 a few years ago.....
Jim,

Although you didn't actually say for certain, you did give a very strong impression that the gleaming X358 was all your own work. I'm shocked.

Not surprising the boot is always full of car care products - you never use them!

Graham

Old 06-30-2018, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GGG
Jim,

Although you didn't actually say for certain, you did give a very strong impression that the gleaming X358 was all your own work. I'm shocked.

Not surprising the boot is always full of car care products - you never use them!

Graham
Now now Graham, the post in my X358 thread clearly says..."Car has been detailed by pro detailer, see below......and attached" on 03.06.2016 so you can check lol
Nice try

I do most of the day to day detailing / maintenance of the finish etc but the pro detailers are just at another level. The mates rates costs are so cheap it'd be rude not to really lol
As for your other comments, I'm not rising to the bait. Now go and get your calipers done, they're letting down the side terribly

Jim

Old 07-06-2018, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member

Well the big Cat went in today for remedial work, so we'll see how that goes....

It's in for the tsb on the sunroof, Remote pro not working / SOS inop and mirror dip on reverse inop ( the last few down to software changes is the thought )

Fair play to Jaguar CRC they've been in touch fairly regularly to check and ask / update as required and again today, although I missed the call

In the meantime they gave me this little beauty to play with, quite a nice thing it is too, Mrs C would love it she says lol

On a sour note, been away from forums and internet life in general these past few days, the excessive heat killed my pc stone dead, hard drive failure.
The last couple of days have been spent checking for and sourcing a replacement desktop to compliment my laptop bought 6 months or so ago. I got a decent HP machine with lots of bells n whistles and a damn site faster into the bargain.

The downside is Windows 10 from 8.1 and quite a bit to get used too, most all files / folders / emails / contacts and more ( around 50+ Gb now more or less fully restored )
Now begins the process or re learning somewhat and personalising the system to my needs...…

Oh joy of joys...

Jim

Old 07-10-2018, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member

Between the Jag being away getting this warranty work done, and the pc issues with the desktop being killed off by the extremely hot weather and having to be replaced, plus loads more I just haven't been anywhere near the site in a week or so.
Wondering what I missed, if anything?

Took the car out again just a wee while ago, late night trip to all night garage for a few things. I have to say it's great to be back in my own car and enjoying the space, the power and most of all the quiet.
No radio / CD etc...….just silence and it was golden, for now anyway.

All that said, here's my pet hate. Your car goes in to the dealers ( any dealers - they all do it ) with all your settings nice and sorted, just where you want them.
Of course as part of diagnostics the radio is turned off, the auto lights / wipers etc are turned off too. That coupled with the interior mirror being moved to suit a slightly shorter person , and probably another couple of settings, always really winds me up lol

First world problems eh?

Going to spend some time getting re acquainted over the coming days and this weekend, THEN the Fort William run /meet event a week this coming Sunday!!
Really looking forward to it.

Then only 3 weeks to go until full pro detail on the car.
I have to speak very nicely to Niall and se if he'll do one of his special "pro pics" shoots for photographs of her when she's looking her best

Jim

Old 07-11-2018, 07:22 PM
Received 79 Likes on 54 Posts

It's their resetting of my tire pressures that drive me nuts I always forget to mention it at service drop off.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member

Had a wee run out in the car the past few days and tonight too, only a few miles here n there though to be fair....

I have to say, it's really good to be back in her, just seems to fit like an old pair of slippers already lol. As far as I can tell to date, it's just silence and all traces of squeaking and creaking have gone thank god, hopefully for good. Of course I'll keep an eye on her over the coming weeks and months and report back.

She'll be getting fuelled up and cleaned inside and out on Saturday am, I have a wee job on Saturday to fulfil.

In the meantime, she's booked in for a pro detail with Reep on Fri 10th August for full swirl removal/paint correction so really looking forward to that
Craig will spend around 25 hours plus to get her to where she needs to be, can't wait

I may actually spend some time with him as he does his work and watch an artist at work plying his craft, pics and videos of course!

I've also touched base with Niall re his pro pics and getting some professional photos of the car taken as she's just freshly detailed. We've been missing each other back n forth but I have high hopes and pretty excited to see if I can make that happen too.

That's the upside …..
Craig is a nightmare to get hold of and get booked into, Niall too is in great demand and I have to go with what they are able to offer time wise. That being the case my attendance at the meet on Sun 12th August is now in jeopardy I'm afraid.

IF Niall isn't available and IF Craig can work his magic a little sooner then I will be there, but 50/50 at the moment I'm sorry to say.

Next thing I'll be looking at adding is the Nextbase Duo dashcam, maybe the next month or so, we'll see how that plays out
The run to Fort William https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/u...d-july-202747/ is a week this coming Sunday and really looking forward to that, should be a good day!

Cheers
Jim

Old 07-20-2018, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member

Well, just decided to go ahead and get the Dashcam sorted, so.....

I have the Nextbase Duo dashcam fitted bundle deal from Halfords and am having it fitted tomorrow morning, happy days

https://www.halfords.com/technology/dash-cams/dash-cams/nextbase-duo-hd-dash-cam

It includes the Nextbase Duo HD Dashcam, c/w 16GB Micro SD card, hardwire kit and fitting for £204.00 so that'll do nicely thanks very much.

I had the Nextbase dashcams fitted front n rear on my X358 and they worked well, so stuck with them. I had considered going down the route of the Backvue but stuck instead of twisting in the end sometimes better the devil you know and all that....

Looking forward to having this installed and having some protection whilst on the road

Booked in for 11am tomorrow so should all be done by 12pm thereabouts, then home for a wash n detail ( all the interior and engine bay already done so will just need a quick going over ) tyres blacked and put to bed. Then help Ross with his X308 that he recently bought, the one I had talked about....

Just a quick going over to finesse some of the points that the "valet" will have missed and make her look that little bit better hopefully, then the run on Sunday morning to Fort William

Here's a short video of some of the roads we'll be travelling, the waterfall we go to every year at 1.19 secs ( you can see the smaller waterfall, the larger one is immediately to the left and cannot be seen on this video )

Jim

Old 07-20-2018, 08:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

Cool video. I need to get me a dashcam for my fall trip to Yosemite.

JimC64 (07-21-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member

Had the dashcam installed today, Nextbase Duo, a great little unit. I've had experience of these before having had 2 of the older units on my X358 covering front n rear, this is a dual unit covering both.

Installation was smooth, nice n clean and camera positioned nice n high, tight behind the rear view mirror, I upgraded to the 64Gb SD card and selected 5 min recordings.

The unit comes with wide angle front lens and Zoom rear lens, 1080P /GPS and Full HD / Wifi, it also has Parking mode whereby any movement sets it to record for 2mins, all good.

There's also a smartphone app available that lets you log in via the phone to view and download content, pretty cool

Anyhow, that done it was time to refresh for tomorrow's run to Fort William.

The car was washed, detailed inside n out, Poorboys Blackhole and tyres dressed, all sorted just as a few spits of rain hit the windscreen lol

Looking forward to the run / meet tomorrow, a few call offs but should still see around 15 cars or so

Jim

Old 07-23-2018, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member

A few brief videos of the day....
They show the quality of the Nextbase camera setup as well as an indication of the roads / scenery and day in general etc

Rear 1 - joined by random white XF

Rear - Chris X358

Rear 4 - car on roof ( missed turn ) at 10 seconds

Front 1
Front 2 - Chris XJ X358 overtake

Front 3 - Euan Tausney

Jim

Jayt2 (07-23-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 06:15 AM
Veteran Member

Well Friday today and an early start to get the Jag into Prestige for a full service to include for engine oil / filter, air filter, fuel filter and pollen filter. I'm also getting them to top off my DEF fluid when there ( makes sense )
Then it'll be hand over to Craig to work his magic on the paintwork over Fri / Sat

Hoping to get in to spend an hour or so and take some pics, maybe a video or two.
I'm so excited I could jump off a dolls house, or even crush a grape lol ( Only those with memories of the 70's will remember that )

In the meantime, the service work has highlighted this issue...
Leaky diff, not good....

Booked in to Pentland Jaguar for 28th August for remedial work as required under warranty

More to follow on service and detailing.....

Jim

Old 08-11-2018, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member

Well I popped in to see Craig earlier today re my car detailing, he's only started and probably about a 3rd of the way through, but making good progress so far.

He's came a long way from when I first met him some 6 years or so ago as a fresh faced young detailer, now he has the backing of Reep which is a massive detailing outfit and he has the franchise for Scotland.
With that in mind he's managed to get most of the bigger dealers on a contract basis and does a lot of work for Porsche, Aston Marton, Rolls Royce and more

He has a specially built set up, see his blurb here.....
"Here at Reep Scotland we pride ourselves on creating the perfect protection package for your vehicle. Our state of the art studio based in Paisley is home to a specially built clean room, and Detailing studio. The clean room is equipped with advanced lighting and temperature controls ensuring we have the perfect environment and conditions to care for your pride and joy.

We offer a range of detailing, paint protection and ceramic coating as well as a windscreen protection solution ‘Clearplex.’ As part of the Reep Network we’re sure to have a solution for your vehicle, and can accommodate your needs from our Paisley based studio with our trained and industry accredited technicians."

My car is only about a 3rd of the way done, maybe a little more, looking like around 4pm or so tomorrow now
Here's a couple of small pics and a brief video showing the start of the process, it will be better again when finished, refined and protected of course, but it gives a flavour of what's going on...

Looking forward to the finished article tomorrow, can't wait, but have too.....lol

Jim

Old 08-12-2018, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member

Well got my son to take me in to collect the car and was disappointed!

Disappointed I never got there quicker lol, she looks awesome, good job done by Reep detail and Craig, thanks very much.

Firstly, as some of you know and have been ribbing me about for the past week, I'd kerbed my alloy ( Arrgghhhh )..anyhow, here's a pic of the damage, could've been a lot worse I suppose.

Some of you have seen the before's or 50/50 shot earlier, well here's the finished article...

Quick video....

Lastly the E-Hybrid Porsche in for all singing all dancing detail and clear protection

Very pleased, other than the fact the weather's not the greatest for taking her home...oh well
Jim

Old 08-18-2018, 03:00 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

@JimC64, I’m late to this thread but I just wanted to say that—although I have fallen in love with my 2013 XJ L Portfolio (British Racing Green, as any proper Jaguar should be)—if there is just one thing I could change about her, it would be swapping the bench rear seat for individual reclining seats. Mrs. Naughty Kitty thinks I’m a terrible driver (yeah, so why am I the one who hasn’t had any speeding tickets in 5+ years or at-fault accidents since 1995?!), so I am usually in the passenger or back seat when we are out on the town with friends and he’s driving.

If I’m going to be chauffeured in my own car, I want the reclining back seat! Sadly, that option seems rarer than hens’ teeth here in the States... I have yet to see any pre-owned examples other than a singular Ultimate model going for $60K the last time I checked.

Anyway, you’ve got a gorgeous feline. Here’s my pretty kitty, a 2013 XJ L Portfolio in British Racing Green. NOTY KTY Mk II was adopted two days ago with only 29,518 miles on the clock, and she drives like a brand-new beast.

2013 Jaguar XJ L Portfolio 5.0 V8 (NA)

Last edited by NaughtyKitty; 08-18-2018 at 03:02 PM.
JimC64 (08-19-2018)
Old 08-18-2018, 03:09 PM

P.S. Jim, I thought my kitty had a shiny coat, but daaaanng! You could safely undertake a straight-razor shave in the reflection of your gorgeous cat! That has to be one of the most perfect paint jobs I have ever seen. Simply stunning. Just.. wow. My compliments to the chef.

JimC64 (08-19-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Naughtkitty, appreciate the kind words on my ride
Love yours, she's stunning in that colour as you say.
The detailing session worked out great, Craig's a real professional and works on high end Astons, Porsche's, Rollers and more, so she was in good hands. She is very shiny, although not right now it has to be said lol

Re the rear seats - I'm very lucky to have sourced a Portfolio spec with 12k worth of extra options, this includes rear media heated, cooled and massing reclining rear seats. It is an absolutely fantastic feature for rear travelling passengers, so I'm told lol
I just need to find someone I can trust to drive my car so I can enjoy the experience lol

Jim

Old 08-22-2018, 11:32 AM

Well that’s the trick now, isn’t it? Right now the only person I trust to drive NOTY KTY is me, and even I find myself driving as if there were fragile eggs between my foot and the pedals. It will be a while before I let anyone else sit in the driver’s seat! Enjoy...

Quick Reply: My XJ X351 ownership thread...