XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

New Long Block or engine rebuilder 2013 XJL

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Long Block or engine rebuilder 2013 XJL

Does anybody have a recommendation for an engine remanufacturing company for a 5.0 non supercharged v8 long block? I would also consider a slightly used motor. Mine overheated and is toast. I am new to this forum and any advice is much appreciated.

Also in 2013 there appear to be two ignition systems that were used on the 5.0 V8. One is made by both Bosch and the other is made by Denso. How do you identify the motor differences? Mine is Bosch ignition. Can they be interchanged or is that too complicated? My engine VIN Code is B which is 5.0 V8 Non supercharged. I don't see any call out on the Bosch verses the Denso motor when shopping for replacement motors. Very confusing.
Thanks!

Karl

Old 03-27-2018, 10:58 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

You're not alone, many on here have had the motor blow, usually loss of water pump, timing issues, or head gaskets, etc...
I recently went thru the swap and I would suggest you Make sure you get the same long block For your computer system. If your 2013 is bosh Get a used 2013-2017. I have a 2011 with a denso System, and I went by vin, which showed the 2016 aj133 vin e 8th digit motor as a direct replacement so I bought the 2016 motor and my shop had to swap out a lot of sensors and parts to make it work. It was a real pain for them and a lot more work. There's also the issue of the start stop feature and the cam position sensors that cut out the engine if you don't have the right system. Anyway, based on what I went thru. I'd say find a 2013-2017 motor from a Bosch computer car. Probably better off buying the whole used motor as I was able to sell all the parts that were still good from my blown motor and make back about 3k off eBay. Anyway so sorry to hear the bad news and good luck. It's not cheap

Old 03-27-2018, 11:03 PM

Also, I searched and searched and was unable to find a shop willing to rebuild the motor. Apparently parts are hard to get and even if they could the cost was way more than a used Engine. I've seen the non sc 5.0 motors go for 5k-7k or so In decent shape. I have a contact at LKQ if you want it lmk. They always have a bunch of these Motors.

Old 03-28-2018, 06:08 PM
Default Thanks

Thanks very much! Appreciate the info very much!

So just to clarify, the Bosch ignition systems are 2013 and later.

Denso's are 2012 and earlier

Thanks again

Old 03-28-2018, 06:09 PM
Default LKQ contact

Yes would appreciate the contact info very much
Thanks again
Karl

Old 03-28-2018, 06:56 PM

Here's his email, he found me a 2016 5.0 Aj133 supercharged with Just 4 miles out of an XJ that was damaged on the way to the dealer, for 9k delivered to Philly. And with the extra parts I was able to sell, it brought the cost down to just 6k, I searched and searched for the lease expensive way to get the car back on the road and this was it.

Email below

txcobb@lkqcorp.com

Tommie L. Cobb
LKQ Corporation
41247 E. Huron River Dr. Belleville, MI 48111

Old 03-28-2018, 07:01 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Probolt64
Does anybody have a recommendation for an engine remanufacturing company for a 5.0 non supercharged v8 long block? I would also consider a slightly used motor. Mine overheated and is toast. I am new to this forum and any advice is much appreciated.

Also in 2013 there appear to be two ignition systems that were used on the 5.0 V8. One is made by both Bosch and the other is made by Denso. How do you identify the motor differences? Mine is Bosch ignition. Can they be interchanged or is that too complicated? My engine VIN Code is B which is 5.0 V8 Non supercharged. I don't see any call out on the Bosch verses the Denso motor when shopping for replacement motors. Very confusing.
Thanks!

Karl
Why would the whole engine be toast? I am new to Jaguar but every motor I have overheated I was able to get the cylinder head resurfaced and rebuilt. I don't understand what would have happened to the short block to trash it...

Old 03-28-2018, 11:31 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 1bad55chevy
Why would the whole engine be toast? I am new to Jaguar but every motor I have overheated I was able to get the cylinder head resurfaced and rebuilt. I don't understand what would have happened to the short block to trash it...
The 5.0 V8 is an open deck, all aluminum design. When one cooks it seems that it is not unusual for the block to warp as well. It happened to mine, and somebody else on here is attempting to resurface the heads and block on his motor then fit a spacer to get the compression correct. He has not posted for a while, so whether he has succeeded or not is not known.

A shop in California tried to rebuild an engine to replace mine at the request of a third party warranty company. Things didn't go well, and with any luck I'll soon be picking up my car with a Jaguar long block fitted. I probably won't be on the warranty company's Christmas card list.

Last edited by agentorange; 03-29-2018 at 12:26 PM.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the temp gauge not work on these cars? I don't understand....

Old 03-29-2018, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 413 Posts

It is my understanding that the temp gauge on jaguars work and can show overheating if the coolant level hasn't fallen due to a leak as temp gauge sensors tend to be towards the top of the engine and will only register if immersed in the coolant. I have gone through 3 water pumps, but got low coolant level warnings each time. So would stop the car and add coolant to limp home to the dealership. Except on time when it failed in Charlotte NC and had it flat bedded back to My Dealer in North Atlanta (the only dealer I trust). The "tow" was handled through Jaguar Assistance and didn't cost me a thing.

The following users liked this post:
Randy Mounts (09-19-2019)
Old 03-29-2018, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by MirzXJ
Does the temp gauge not work on these cars? I don't understand....
I'm curious about this as well. On the old 4.2s, once you saw the temp needle starting to go up, you had maybe 30-60 seconds before the red light went on, and even then I still had another minute or two after that to get off the road. This happened to me several times over the years and I never suffered any permanent damage.

What's the overheating timeframe like on these 5.0s?

Old 03-29-2018, 10:17 AM

It's overheats without any warning, serious design flaw where once your out of coolant it doesn't show that you're overheating at all as it measures the coolant temp and you keep driving till the engine seizes up.

Old 03-29-2018, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by phillyS1
It's overheats without any warning, serious design flaw where once your out of coolant it doesn't show that you're overheating at all as it measures the coolant temp and you keep driving till the engine seizes up.
It didn't even give you a Low Coolant warning?

Old 03-29-2018, 10:29 AM
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,784 Posts

The gauge does not register a change between about 85C and 125C, so do not rely on the gauge to let you know the coolant temperature.

Use the OBD port with a Bluetooth adapter that can send real-time engine temperature readings to your mobile phone or other handheld device.

TorquePro is one of the available software downloads to use with an Elm327, or other similar device so you can see the exact temperature of the coolant.

Old 03-29-2018, 12:31 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by NBCat
The gauge does not register a change between about 85C and 125C, ......
No doubt to "improve the customer experience". That's industry code for "a gauge watcher does not like his temperature gauge moving so we fixed it for him and his brethren".

As for the sensor not being in the coolant, it will still register temperature. In the other car I had that lost coolant, the temp gauge shot up like a rocket, I assume because it was now sensing the head temperature.

Old 03-29-2018, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

I know it is a different model but one of the feeds to the coolant hose that connects to the top of the coolant expansion tank popped off the front of the 5 litre engine in my XKR and a low coolant warning message alerted me to that fact.

The XKR doesn't have a temperature gauge so you should count yourself lucky!

Old 09-17-2019, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Probolt64

Thanks!

Karl
Hi all - Curious if this is a known issue on the 2013 xjl's? My husbands just over heated and was told that his engine block is gone and it is 25k to repair.

Old 09-17-2019, 04:38 PM
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,784 Posts

Originally Posted by freer1250
Hi all - Curious if this is a known issue on the 2013 xjl's? My husbands just over heated and was told that his engine block is gone and it is 25k to repair.
If the water pump or other component is causing a coolant fluid loss and the engine overheats, there is little else to do but replace the engine. Water pump failure is a known issue and must be inspected at every oil change, or other service opportunity for seepage.

It may be less expensive to source a used engine than to attempt a repair since both the engine block and heads are aluminium and distort when overheated.

Old 09-18-2019, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by NBCat
Water pump failure is a known issue and must be inspected at every oil change, or other service opportunity for seepage.
Hell, I check it every week!

The following users liked this post:
Randy Mounts (09-19-2019)
Old 09-20-2019, 07:54 PM
Received 173 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by freer1250
You aren't giving anyone much to reply to.
When you say it overheated, how bad did it overheat? How long did it get driven after the warning lights started flashing?

Be advised that from my experience, while dealership shops have their positive uses, they will prescribe complete replacement of the entire engine or transmission at the drop of the hat, without even looking as closely as we would like or expect.
This is from a combination of experience, promotion of selling expensive repair/service, and the fact that they do NOT deal with lower-level repair.

For repair of anything lower than complete engine or transmission, you're better off having an experienced and respected independent Jaguar repair shop have a crack at it. They're more in the business of repairing things that the dealership would just as soon completely replace.
Good luck