XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

New owner - iPhone confusion

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 03:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner - iPhone confusion

Hello all,

Recently became the owner of an early 2012 XJL Portfolio (diesel). Really impressed with the car. Previously had an Audi A8L which, whilst it had the security of 4WD, was from a different age technology wise.

Having owned the car for a week, I am trying to get to grips with how to connect my iPhone 7. I have paired it with bluetooth and that is fine, I can make calls and stream music no problem BUT, I want to connect it via the iPod connection so I can use playlists, search for music etc with my phone neatly hidden in the centre console. When I connect it to the iPod socket, music plays for 10-15 seconds then goes silent. The phone believes it is still playing as the elapsed time/remaining time are changing but no sound comes out after the initial few seconds. I do still need to be able to make/receive phone calls. Anybody have this combination and can advise as to what I am doing wrong (either on the car or the phone).

As an addition, I think the issue is having the same device connected through both Bluetooth and iPod as if I disable bluetooth, the music plays fine (seems very slow to switch between tracks but I do have over 9000 tracks on my phone. Trouble is, if I do this, I lose the bluetooth phone functionality.

Many thanks,

Michael

Old 10-23-2017, 01:10 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Switch off the bluetooth on the phone. I expect it's switched it's output over once it connects to the car. Swipe up the control centre on the iPhone and check what output it thinks it's playing out of when it does it.
I've found the iPod connection to be pretty unreliable for iPhones TBH. I bought an old iPod 60GB and threw that in the armrest and that's fine.

Old 10-24-2017, 06:28 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

It's a bug, if you want to make and take calls then don't use the wire for music, use bluetooth for everything.

What happens is the car thinks that the phone bluetooth and the audio bluetooth are separate when intact they're the same, so when you connect the wire the sound system crashes because it audio part of the bluetooth conflicts with the wire.

If you switch your bluetooth off you'll see the problem will go away but you can't take or make calls.

Hope this explains as it is confusing.

Old 10-25-2017, 02:27 AM

How annoying! If there a software fix (dealer) for it?
For now, I took the advice of rilot and purchased an old ipod touch for £20 and plugged that in, ensuring it didn't have bluetooth switched on. Seems to work fine but I now have to remove it and sync every time there is a podcast update!

Old 10-25-2017, 02:59 AM

Is there a Jaguar software update to resolve this?
In the meantime, I took the advice and purchased an old iPod touch which is now plugged in for music with my phone in my pocket for calls.
Frsutrating that I need to remove the iPod from the car to update my podcasts but at least it works....

Old 05-11-2018, 12:39 PM

Having trouble pairing an iphone SE with 2007 x type any suggestions?