XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

New wheels on 11" xjl

Old 09-25-2015, 06:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New wheels on 11" xjl

New staggered 22's and caliper covers on my 2011 XJL !

Attached Thumbnails New wheels on 11" xjl-20150925_123326.jpg   New wheels on 11" xjl-20150925_123253_001.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by durim1969:
edobernig (09-28-2015), The_Ikon (07-08-2020)
Old 09-26-2015, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 512 Likes on 413 Posts

Very nice wheels.

The following users liked this post:
durim1969 (09-26-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 10:42 AM
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Looks great! What brand/size of tires did you go with?

Old 10-12-2015, 10:56 AM
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Tire Brand / Size Response.

Originally Posted by XJLFTW
Not sure what size he went with on the rear but the fronts are Delinte Thunder D7, 245/30R22 92Wxl Ultra Performance Tires. Delinte Thunder D7 245/30R22 92Wxl

I assume that the rears might be Delinte Thunder D7 255/30R22 95Yxl Ultra Performance Tires as they are the largest I can find from that company. Delinte Thunder D7 255/30R22 95Yxl

- Mike D.

XJLFTW (10-18-2015)
Old 10-12-2015, 02:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello. the front are 245/30/22 and the rear are 305/25/22 and yes they are Delinte Thunder D7's !

XJLFTW (10-18-2015)
Old 10-12-2015, 07:16 PM
Location: Mooresville, NC (Race City USA), home of most NASCAR teams.
Received 480 Likes on 368 Posts

From an engineering point of view, and a usage point of view (i.e. curb rash), these wheels make no sense whatsoever. However from an styling point of view, you might like them because they go to the extreme in making the wheel spokes as large in diameter as possible, that is unless you extend the spokes even beyond the wheel rims, and beyond the inside diameter of the tires themselves (which has probably been done by someone catering strictly to ghetto types). But to each his or her own.

Old 10-14-2015, 04:50 PM
MHT
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by johndahlheimer
From an engineering point of view, and a usage point of view (i.e. curb rash), these wheels make no sense whatsoever. However from an styling point of view, you might like them because they go to the extreme in making the wheel spokes as large in diameter as possible, that is unless you extend the spokes even beyond the wheel rims, and beyond the inside diameter of the tires themselves (which has probably been done by someone catering strictly to ghetto types). But to each his or her own.
What does ghetto types have to do with anything or this thread? The OP put some wheels on his car that he liked and decided to share the picture with us.
I would not put 22’s on my car and I think 19’s are probably as low as I would go. The lower you go the more compromised the ride becomes and the wheels and tires are more susceptible to damage.
The wheels on the OP's car really look nice. I doubt very seriously if he ask for a set of ghetto wheels when he made the purchase and I am quite certain they were not marketed as ghetto wheels.
I believe it would be nice to just be able to enter into discussions where like minded people come to share info pertaining to the subject matter without going off the beaten path into, politics, religion, race are all the social ills of the world.

Last edited by MHT; 10-14-2015 at 04:52 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by MHT:
retriever-007 (10-15-2015), The_Ikon (07-08-2020), xjb (10-15-2015), XJLFTW (10-17-2015)
Old 10-14-2015, 11:24 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I was going to ignore your narrow minded view, especially since you went to comparing aftermarket wheels as ghetto but I just can't help myself. I have been putting wheels on my cars all my life. I do it to make my car look differently than anyone else who has the same car. I do it for the style. I do it for the sporty handling. I do it to make the car look better. A well designed, high quality wheel makes a lot of sense.
What does cause me pause is why people spend good money on wheels then turn around and buy cheapo tires no one ever heard of. What the heck are Delinte tires? Tires are more important than wheels...or just as important. Your rubber needs to be right to make the whole thing worth the effort. Cheap wheels that look good I can tolerate (long as they are from a reputable company). But cheap tires? That's a no-no.

Last edited by ice350; 10-14-2015 at 11:28 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ice350:
The_Ikon (07-08-2020), XJLFTW (10-17-2015)
Old 10-15-2015, 11:52 AM

Hey people, if you re-read my post you will see that my remark about ghetto styled wheels refereed to wheels where the spokes extended beyond the wheel rims, and beyond the inside diameter of the tires, the obvious next step in increasing the apparent diameter of the spokes of the wheel. I don't think this has been done yet, but am willing to bet someone would buy such a ridiculous configuration if it became available.

By, the way over-sized wheels do not improve handing on the vast majority of today's roads, but in fact cause a decease in handing because of the inability to tire to conform to and absorb road imperfections. The only thing over-sized wheels contribute to is wheel damage and tire damage, and a lousy ride.

But if you think rubber band thick tires look cool, go for them. It is all a matter of personal taste, which varies from individual to individual. Their is no "right" or "wrong".

Last edited by johndahlheimer; 10-15-2015 at 11:55 AM.
QP7 (02-10-2024)
Old 10-15-2015, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by MHT
What does ghetto types have to do with anything or this thread? The OP put some wheels on his car that he liked and decided to share the picture with us.
I would not put 22’s on my car and I think 19’s are probably as low as I would go. The lower you go the more compromised the ride becomes and the wheels and tires are more susceptible to damage.
The wheels on the OP's car really look nice. I doubt very seriously if he ask for a set of ghetto wheels when he made the purchase and I am quite certain they were not marketed as ghetto wheels.
I believe it would be nice to just be able to enter into discussions where like minded people come to share info pertaining to the subject matter without going off the beaten path into, politics, religion, race are all the social ills of the world.
Definition of Ghetto: A part of a city, especially a slum area, occupied by a minority group. It has nothing to do with politics, nor any particular race, nor any particular nationality, nor the social ills of the world.

What it does refer to is the types of cars that often pervade ghettos, usually attention seeking, ostentatious, and rather garish vehicles not reflecting particularly sophisticated tastes.

We have all seen cars with obnoxiously large diameter chromed wheels and rubber band thick tires, whose cost obviously exceed the value the car on which they are mounted.

In my mind it is a slim margin that separates improved styling and the creation of a pimp-mobile.

And, before you get your shorts in a bunch again, pimps are not specific to any one race or nationality, and neither are "pimp-mobiles". So get off your knee-jerk "politically correct" high horse and back down to a honest discussion about appropriate "wheels and tires" for a luxury sports sedan with impeccable styling as it come from the factory.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:27 PM
MHT

Definition of Ghetto: A part of a city, especially a slum area, occupied by a minority group. It has nothing to do with politics, nor any particular race, nor any particular nationality, nor the social ills of the world.

What it does refer to is the types of cars that often pervade ghettos, usually attention seeking, ostentatious, and rather garish vehicles not reflecting particularly sophisticated tastes.

We have all seen cars with obnoxiously large diameter chromed wheels and rubber band thick tires, whose cost obviously exceed the value the car on which they are mounted.

In my mind it is a slim margin that separates improved styling and the creation of a pimp-mobile.

And, before you get your shorts in a bunch again, pimps are not specific to any one race or nationality, and neither are "pimp-mobiles". So get off your knee-jerk "politically correct" high horse and back down to a honest discussion about appropriate "wheels and tires" for a luxury sports sedan with impeccable styling as it come from the factory.
I am well aware of the definition of the word Ghetto. My question was your use of the term Ghetto Types. My reference to politics, race , religion and the ills of the world was a general statement.
You gave an explanation of what you were referring to when you used the term Ghetto Types in an earlier post and I was quite willing to accept that but than you decided you would go a little further and go on a personal attack.
There was another poster that also was disturbed by your use of the word Ghetto so I was not the only one who questioned your use of the word.
By the way, I drive a Jag XJ, I am not riding a knee-jerk politically correct high horse. As far as an honest discussion about appropriate wheels and tires, you may want to try taking your own advice.
It is interesting that you went after me but not the person that thought your point of view was narrow minded.

Last edited by MHT; 10-16-2015 at 04:59 AM.
XJLFTW (10-18-2015)
Old 10-16-2015, 09:54 PM
Angry

Originally Posted by MHT
I am well aware of the definition of the word Ghetto. My question was your use of the term Ghetto Types. My reference to politics, race , religion and the ills of the world was a general statement.
You gave an explanation of what you were referring to when you used the term Ghetto Types in an earlier post and I was quite willing to accept that but than you decided you would go a little further and go on a personal attack.
There was another poster that also was disturbed by your use of the word Ghetto so I was not the only one who questioned your use of the word.
By the way, I drive a Jag XJ, I am not riding a knee-jerk politically correct high horse. As far as an honest discussion about appropriate wheels and tires, you may want to try taking your own advice.
It is interesting that you went after me but not the person that thought your point of view was narrow minded.
I'm sorry you viewed it as a personal attack. Personally I've grown a bit intolerant of "political correctness" and those who feel obliged to enforce it; or those who think you are a racist just because one believes, as I do that, for instance, "Rap Music" isn't music at all, but a poor substitute for it by those not competent enough to carry a tune. So, I say "Rap is unadulterated Crap"! That is my opinion, like it or lump it!

I have expressed my views on wheels and tires, especially those intended to replace those on a Jaguar XJ, an exquisitely styled automobile. However in any discussion regarding car styling, if one cannot use widely understood terms such as "Ghetto-mobile" or "Pimp-mobile" to describe the end effects of modifications one considers in poor taste, then someone is intruding in my Constitutional Right to speak freely.

And what use is a Forum if you can't present your viewpoint without being told you are "out of the mainstream"?. Of course I'm out of the mainstream, unlike many today who have a lockstep mentality, I'm still capable of thinking and speaking for myself.

Last edited by johndahlheimer; 10-17-2015 at 04:44 PM.
QP7 (02-10-2024)
Old 10-17-2015, 05:51 AM
MHT

Originally Posted by durim1969
New staggered 22's and caliper covers on my 2011 XJL !
Nice looking wheels. Do you use wheel locks? Do you have wheel locks? If you do not have wheel locks and you would like a set, I have a brand new OEM set I will give you free of charge.
The locks along with a Lexus License Plate frame came with my car and I have no desire to use either. I tried to sell them on eBay but so far no takers. I would rather give them away than to discard them.
The locks come with two keys.

Last edited by MHT; 10-17-2015 at 05:54 AM.
Old 10-17-2015, 08:47 PM

I'm sorry you viewed it as a personal attack. Personally I've grown a bit intolerant of "political correctness" and those who feel obliged to enforce it; or those who think you are a racist just because one believes, as I do that, for instance, "Rap Music" isn't music at all, but a poor substitute for it by those not competent enough to carry a tune. So, I say "Rap is unadulterated Crap"! That is my opinion, like it or lump it!

I have expressed my views on wheels and tires, especially those intended to replace those on a Jaguar XJ, an exquisitely styled automobile. However in any discussion regarding car styling, if one cannot use widely understood terms such as "Ghetto-mobile" or "Pimp-mobile" to describe the end effects of modifications one considers in poor taste, then someone is intruding in my Constitutional Right to speak freely.

And what use is a Forum if you can't present your viewpoint without being told you are "out of the mainstream"?. Of course I'm out of the mainstream, unlike many today who have a lockstep mentality, I'm still capable of thinking and speaking for myself.
"I'm tired of political correctness" is basically saying "I want to express my ignorant, insensitive opinions without being criticized".

1. Unless the government is reading your posts and then censoring what you're typing here, your free speech claims make no sense at all.

2. There are plenty of legitimately talented musicians in hip hop music, as there are in almost every genre. If you don't like, that's fine, but there's no need to be a dick about it. I loathe country music, but I recognize the skill it takes to create it, rap/hip-hop is no different.

3. Your "widely understood terms" like "ghetto" and "pimp mobile" ARE racist and offensive. The fact is, many of they automotive trends we all subscribe to, including those incorporated by manufacturers themselves, originated with people (some minority, some not) of meager means modifying their cars. Lowriders were created by poor Mexican Americans, Asian immigrants pushed the boundaries of what a Japanese car could be, African American car culture is the reason we all have subwoofers as part of our stock systems. Do those automotive subcultures churn out some shitty cars? Absolutely - they're almost always done on a shoestring budget. Do they also churn out some amazing ones that rethink how cars should look and perform? Absolutely, and we should respect them for that.

TL;DR: Be nice.

Last edited by XJLFTW; 10-17-2015 at 09:07 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by XJLFTW:
MHT (10-18-2015), plums (10-17-2015), xjb (10-20-2015)
Old 10-17-2015, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

... then someone is intruding in my Constitutional Right to speak freely.
goose ... gander and all that.

you speak ... then it is someone else's turn ... and they may very well disagree with
you vehemently.

free speech is not only for the right wingnuts.

free speech can also be called out as being offensive ... which is in and of itself
also free speech.

free speech is not only what you decide is correct.

and not everyone on this forum is subject to or protected by the constitution
that you are waving around.

The following 3 users liked this post by plums:
johndahlheimer (10-19-2015), MHT (10-18-2015), XJLFTW (10-18-2015)
Old 10-19-2015, 11:06 PM

"I'm tired of political correctness" is basically saying "I want to express my ignorant, insensitive opinions without being criticized".

1. Unless the government is reading your posts and then censoring what you're typing here, your free speech claims make no sense at all.

2. There are plenty of legitimately talented musicians in hip hop music, as there are in almost every genre. If you don't like, that's fine, but there's no need to be a dick about it. I loathe country music, but I recognize the skill it takes to create it, rap/hip-hop is no different.

3. Your "widely understood terms" like "ghetto" and "pimp mobile" ARE racist and offensive. The fact is, many of they automotive trends we all subscribe to, including those incorporated by manufacturers themselves, originated with people (some minority, some not) of meager means modifying their cars. Lowriders were created by poor Mexican Americans, Asian immigrants pushed the boundaries of what a Japanese car could be, African American car culture is the reason we all have subwoofers as part of our stock systems. Do those automotive subcultures churn out some shitty cars? Absolutely - they're almost always done on a shoestring budget. Do they also churn out some amazing ones that rethink how cars should look and perform? Absolutely, and we should respect them for that.

TL;DR: Be nice.

Hey guy, thanks for your narrow minded, ignorant and insensitive criticism!

You may be trying your best to censor my opinions, but I have no intent to conform to your "social conformity" efforts.

I have very catholic tastes in music; too bad Rap isn't.

I acknowledge you think "ghetto" and "pimp mobile" are racially offensive, but that is only because you are "programmed" to think that way, and are incapable of thinking for yourself.

Ghettos have been around for a very long time, and apply to all kinds of "minorities"; for example the Jewish and gypsy ghettos in Germany in 1939.

Today we have Palestinian ghettos in Jewish occupied Israel, who are treated the same way. Monkey see, monkey do.

"Pimp mobiles" aren't unique to African Americans, they were perfected long before blacks copied them.

Prostitution, the oldest profession in the world, has always been one of the biggest attractions to foreigners visiting Mexico and Cuba where "pimp-mobiles" were invented and perfected, decades before "Harlem" adopted them.

Low-riders "a car with hydraulic jacks that enabled them to bounce up and down" never were copied by any automobile manufactures, nor were silly-*** "fart can" resonators currently favored by white teens driving under-powered four cylinder automatic transmission economy "rice-mobiles".

Gee, I never knew only African Americans were the only ones stupid enough to put high powered sub-woofers in their cars to destroy their hearing, but if you say so, I believe you.

Last edited by johndahlheimer; 10-19-2015 at 11:10 PM.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:17 AM

Hey guy, thanks for your narrow minded, ignorant and insensitive criticism!

You may be trying your best to censor my opinions, but I have no intent to conform to your "social conformity" efforts.

I have very catholic tastes in music; too bad Rap isn't.

I acknowledge you think "ghetto" and "pimp mobile" are racially offensive, but that is only because you are "programmed" to think that way, and are incapable of thinking for yourself.

Ghettos have been around for a very long time, and apply to all kinds of "minorities"; for example the Jewish and gypsy ghettos in Germany in 1939.

Today we have Palestinian ghettos in Jewish occupied Israel, who are treated the same way. Monkey see, monkey do.

"Pimp mobiles" aren't unique to African Americans, they were perfected long before blacks copied them.

Prostitution, the oldest profession in the world, has always been one of the biggest attractions to foreigners visiting Mexico and Cuba where "pimp-mobiles" were invented and perfected, decades before "Harlem" adopted them.

Low-riders "a car with hydraulic jacks that enabled them to bounce up and down" never were copied by any automobile manufactures, nor were silly-*** "fart can" resonators currently favored by white teens driving under-powered four cylinder automatic transmission economy "rice-mobiles".

Gee, I never knew only African Americans were the only ones stupid enough to put high powered sub-woofers in their cars to destroy their hearing, but if you say so, I believe you.
I thought my criticism was pretty constructive and well informed. It's ironic that someone spouting off the boilerplate "angry Fox News guy" opinions is accusing me of being unable to think for myself.

Nice try ("programmed" LOL), but because those terms have colloquial definitions whose use far exceed the historic references you cite, it's a poor defense of your position. Not a single person would read your use of "ghetto" as a reference to Jews in Warsaw or Palestinians in the West Bank putting oversized aftermarket rims on their cars.

Not all lowriders are hoppers (many use airbags, sound familiar?) and many modern cars actually DO have adjustable ride heights, which started with lowriding. My point was more about aesthetics than functionality, though - manufacturers have a long history of taking cues from the custom community. On that note, Japanese cars are being fitted with more aggressive exhausts in recent years which can be tied to aftermarket trends, drive an Infiniti sometime.

If you knew anything about rap music, you'd know why we have subwoofers in our cars - there are songs about it from 20+ years ago. Car audio contests originated around the same time rap did and it became the standard, given the genre's propensity for heavy bass lines. That lead to demand for aftermarket systems, which in turn created demand from manufacturers.

I don't know what Catholic music is, nor is it likely that I will ever listen to it, but I'm also not going to say it "isn't music at all, but a poor substitute for it by those not competent enough to carry a tune" or "Catholic music is unadulterated Crap".

Again: Be nice. Be respectful. That's it.

Old 10-20-2015, 10:37 AM
Default Re: catholic taste in music

[QUOTE=XJLFTW;1331590]I thought my criticism was pretty constructive and well informed. It's ironic that someone spouting off the boilerplate "angry Fox News guy" opinions is accusing me of being unable to think for myself.

Never watch Fox News much, so I don't know who the "angry Fox News guy" is. Does he have a name?

I don't know what Catholic music is, nor is it likely that I will ever listen to it, but I'm also not going to say it "isn't music at all, but a poor substitute for it by those not competent enough to carry a tune" or "Catholic music is unadulterated Crap".

"catholic" with a small "c" means universal or wide ranging, or in reference to music, it means one likes all types, i.e. jazz, rhythm and blues, classical, folk, country, rock, etc. So I have a rather catholic taste in music. It has nothing to do with the Roman Catholic religion, another erroneous assumption on your part.

By the way the French Citroen introduced a hydro-pneumatic rear suspension in 1954, over 60 years ago, which could raise and lower the car, and then licensed the invention to Rolls-Royce, Maserati and Peugeot for use in their cars. In 1955 Packard had a suspension with torsion bars front and rear, along with an electronic control that kept the car level regardless of load or road conditions. Cadillac had "air-domes" at all four wheels in 1957. You are sadly misinformed if you think Mexican "Low-rider's" contributed anything to car suspension technology. The low-rider that could change heights at the flick of a switch didn't come until 1959.

Why is it when people mention ghetto they have to make it a black and Hispanic thing? There are all kinds of ghettos and some in non black and non Hispanic neighborhoods are the worst. How about Bay Ridge Brooklyn, or Marine Park Brooklyn or certain areas in Manhattan, and certain neighborhoods in LI. There are ghettos everywhere, so don't think only those associated with blacks and Hispanics are the worst. Perhaps you should read up on Irish ghettos in the U.S. and some of your folk hero's like ***** Sutton.

Last edited by johndahlheimer; 10-20-2015 at 08:35 PM.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:46 PM

[QUOTE=johndahlheimer;1331700]
I thought my criticism was pretty constructive and well informed. It's ironic that someone spouting off the boilerplate "angry Fox News guy" opinions is accusing me of being unable to think for myself.

Never watch Fox News much, so I don't know who the "angry Fox News guy" is. Does he have a name?

Your "widely understood terms" like "ghetto" and "pimp mobile" ARE racist and offensive.

And I would suggest your response is a result of classical (Pavlovian) conditioning due to your liberal biases.

"catholic" with a small "c" means universal or wide ranging, or in reference to music, it means one likes all types, i.e. jazz, rhythm and blues, classical, folk, country, rock, etc. So I have a rather catholic taste in music. It has nothing to do with the Roman Catholic religion, another erroneous assumption on your part.

By the way, the French Citroen introduced a hydro-pneumatic rear suspension in 1954, over 60 years ago, which could raise and lower the car, and then licensed the invention to Rolls-Royce, Maserati and Peugeot for use in their cars. In 1955 Packard had a suspension with torsion bars front and rear, along with an electronic control that kept the car level regardless of load or road conditions. Cadillac had "air-domes" at all four wheels in 1957. You are sadly misinformed if you think Mexican "Low-rider's" contributed anything to car suspension technology. The low-rider that could change heights at the flick of a switch didn't come until 1959.

Why is it when people mention ghetto they have to make it a black and Hispanic thing? There are all kinds of ghettos and some in non black and non Hispanic neighborhoods are the worst. How about Bay Ridge Brooklyn, or Marine Park Brooklyn or certain areas in Manhattan, and certain neighborhoods in LI. There are ghettos everywhere, so don't think only those associated with blacks and Hispanics are the worst. Perhaps you should read up on Irish ghettos in the U.S. and some of your folk hero's like ***** Sutton.

Last edited by johndahlheimer; 10-21-2015 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:03 PM

[QUOTE=johndahlheimer;1331700]

By the way, the French Citroen introduced a hydro-pneumatic rear suspension in 1954, over 60 years ago, which could raise and lower the car, and then licensed the invention to Rolls-Royce, Maserati and Peugeot for use in their cars. In 1955 Packard had a suspension with torsion bars front and rear, along with an electronic control that kept the car level regardless of load or road conditions. Cadillac had "air-domes" at all four wheels in 1957. You are sadly misinformed if you think Mexican "Low-rider's" contributed anything to car suspension technology. The low-rider that could change heights at the flick of a switch didn't come until 1959.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New wheels on 11" xjl