XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

New wheels for 12 XJL Supercharged

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 11:03 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default New wheels for 12 XJL Supercharged

I got new wheels for my XJ as the OE ones are bent. The rear 2 are bent as well as the front passenger side. Instead of sticking with high priced junk OE, I went with aftermarket. I got Savini SV-F2’s in gloss graphite. These are flow formed wheels so they should be more durable than OEM. Can’t wait to get them installed. I’ll post a pic of the wheel itself, they’re supposed to get installed on Thursday so I will post more pics after they get installed. Oh yea I also ceramic coated them

The following users liked this post:
Panthro (07-27-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 11:27 PM
Received 139 Likes on 106 Posts

Beautiful. What size are these, 20”? Look forward to seeing them on the car. I agree with the statement about the OE rims. Hope these stay straighter.

Old 06-26-2019, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Nedoerr
Beautiful. What size are these, 20”? Look forward to seeing them on the car. I agree with the statement about the OE rims. Hope these stay straighter.
Yeah they’re original sizes. Front are 20x9 and rear are 20x10, with the bolt pattern being 5x108. I test fitted them and they looked amazing I forgot to take pictures. Lol

Old 06-26-2019, 08:48 AM
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I like that style wheel, i was looking at a few similar styles, including the Savinis, when i was looking for wheels.

Post pics when you get them on, they should look pretty sweet.

Old 06-27-2019, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Hank Scorpio
I like that style wheel, i was looking at a few similar styles, including the Savinis, when i was looking for wheels.

Post pics when you get them on, they should look pretty sweet.

well here they are!!! I think they look great

The following 2 users liked this post by Supercharged Jag:
dmchao (06-28-2019), Panthro (07-27-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 02:07 PM

Well I’ve been having steering wheel vibrations and pulling ever since I got these installed. I had a feeling it was the wheels. Well I ordered a new tire got a installed today, and the terrible shake/vibration was gone, but my tech told me there is still a minor vibration there. I told him if he could take a look at it. Upon further inspection opposite to the wheel I replaced the tire on has a slight bend in it on the inside of the wheel. It’s not really a bend it looks more like the wheel wasn’t made round properly. And you can visibly see it. So far I’ve started a warranty claim for the wheel with Savini, I will get a response back in 24-48 hours. Let’s see what they say. And no it was not from potholes and such (me). Them being flow formed I expect them to be round from the factory and a bit more durable than regular cast wheels. I just thought I’d post an update on here

Old 07-18-2019, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 512 Likes on 413 Posts

Do you know what the wheel offsets are? Here are the correct ones

XJ (x351) 20" Tire and Wheel Tech Specs:
--------------------------------------XJs--------------------------------------- XJR
Front Wheels: Tires 245/40/20”, Wheel 9J, 49 offset --- Tires 245/40/20”, Wheel 9J, 49 offset
Rear Wheels: Tires 275/35/20”, Wheel 10J, 44 offset--- Tires 275/30/20”, Wheel10J, 46 offset

Old 07-18-2019, 02:30 PM

Could the wrong offset really cause a vibration on just one corner?

For example, my rears are a 32 offset and i dont experience anything out of the ordinary except a bit of an increase rate of wear.

Old 07-18-2019, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by XJsss
Do you know what the wheel offsets are? Here are the correct ones

XJ (x351) 20" Tire and Wheel Tech Specs:
--------------------------------------XJs--------------------------------------- XJR
Front Wheels: Tires 245/40/20”, Wheel 9J, 49 offset --- Tires 245/40/20”, Wheel 9J, 49 offset
Rear Wheels: Tires 275/35/20”, Wheel 10J, 44 offset--- Tires 275/30/20”, Wheel10J, 46 offset
I don’t exactly remember, but as far as I do, I believe those are the same ones

Old 07-18-2019, 02:34 PM

Could the wrong offset really cause a vibration on just one corner?

For example, my rears are a 32 offset and i dont experience anything out of the ordinary except a bit of an increase rate of wear.
TBH, even if the offset is off, my rears don’t vibrate, so why would the fronts. Also, I saw the wheel for myself not being round physically. So I would believe that would at least contribute to vibrating

Old 07-18-2019, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Supercharged Jag
TBH, even if the offset is off, my rears don’t vibrate, so why would the fronts. Also, I saw the wheel for myself not being round physically. So I would believe that would at least contribute to vibrating
Yeah that makes sense, and that would be my thought process as well. I always have that fear with aftermarket wheels, even that it could be slightly "out of round" that i cant see just by looking at it. I felt a vibration in mine after a while, both in the seat and in the wheel, and it turned out that one rear tire was like 5 PSI low from the others, but they were all a bit low as far as i was concerned. I raised the PSI to 38 and 40, something like that, and its smooth as glass again. It seems like an obvious thing to check, especially after decades of cars with aftermarket wheels, but for whatever reason i just overlooked it.

Old 07-18-2019, 03:37 PM

Yeah that makes sense, and that would be my thought process as well. I always have that fear with aftermarket wheels, even that it could be slightly "out of round" that i cant see just by looking at it. I felt a vibration in mine after a while, both in the seat and in the wheel, and it turned out that one rear tire was like 5 PSI low from the others, but they were all a bit low as far as i was concerned. I raised the PSI to 38 and 40, something like that, and its smooth as glass again. It seems like an obvious thing to check, especially after decades of cars with aftermarket wheels, but for whatever reason i just overlooked it.
I hope they will replace under warranty because I saw on a couple other forums from a few years ago, that savini isn’t that great with being up front and honest

Old 07-19-2019, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member

The reason I brought up the offset is that at my dealer they have had several XJs with after market wheels that resulted in the wheel bearings wearing out due to improper offset.

Old 07-20-2019, 12:00 PM
Received 139 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Supercharged Jag
Well I’ve been having steering wheel vibrations and pulling ever since I got these installed. I had a feeling it was the wheels. Well I ordered a new tire got a installed today, and the terrible shake/vibration was gone, but my tech told me there is still a minor vibration there. I told him if he could take a look at it. Upon further inspection opposite to the wheel I replaced the tire on has a slight bend in it on the inside of the wheel. It’s not really a bend it looks more like the wheel wasn’t made round properly. And you can visibly see it. So far I’ve started a warranty claim for the wheel with Savini, I will get a response back in 24-48 hours. Let’s see what they say. And no it was not from potholes and such (me). Them being flow formed I expect them to be round from the factory and a bit more durable than regular cast wheels. I just thought I’d post an update on here
Sorry to hear but thanks for the update. Hope they replace the bad wheel for you.

I couldn’t find the load rating of the wheels you bought. Doesn’t seem like many wheel makers are posting the load ratings anymore. That would be interesting info to have. Wonder if they would tell you if you asked...

Old 07-23-2019, 01:22 PM

This one is fine because I replaced it with an almost new tire just last week.
Originally Posted by Nedoerr
Sorry to hear but thanks for the update. Hope they replace the bad wheel for you.

I couldn’t find the load rating of the wheels you bought. Doesn’t seem like many wheel makers are posting the load ratings anymore. That would be interesting info to have. Wonder if they would tell you if you asked...
Well I took it to my local Ken Towery to check the wheel and tire run out. And turns out all 4 wheels are fine, it’s the tires that are causing vibrations and pulling. I was planning on swapping out the Continentals for Michelins anyways. The contis are so noisy, they always get flat spots after a couple hours, a steel band separated on my front left side, AND they’re super stiff. I absolutely dislike them and probably won’t ever purchase them again... EVER. All these issues, and the tires haven’t even made it past 8000 miles yet. I contacted continental 2 weeks ago and they said they don’t mind giving me new ones, I just have to file a warranty form through where I purchased them and they’d send them to me. But I’d rather avoid all these issues I had again. I’ve used Michelin’s for years and will continue to.

The following users liked this post:
Panthro (07-27-2019)
Old 07-23-2019, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 416 Likes on 316 Posts

Yes, my experience has been that Michelins are the best for vibration issues (or lack of them). The tech who runs the Roadforce balancer, at the shop I use, told me that Michelin is the brand that they see the least issues with.

Also, all season tires are usually better than summers - harder compound that's less likely to flat spot.

Old 07-23-2019, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mark SF
Yes, my experience has been that Michelins are the best for vibration issues (or lack of them). The tech who runs the Roadforce balancer, at the shop I use, told me that Michelin is the brand that they see the least issues with.

Also, all season tires are usually better than summers - harder compound that's less likely to flat spot.
I agree as well, and I only use All season because I’ve found using AS tires much more better over all. Well if any one wants a almost new tire (245/40/20 Continental DWS 06) let me know. Just pay for shipping. I’m throwing the rest away.

Old 07-24-2019, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member

These new Michelin Pilot Sport 4Ss are the best tires and best Michelin's I have ever had. In fact these are giving me over 25k and perform quite well even in the "mild" cold weather we have here in the Atlanta area.