XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Opinions needed.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 04:40 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Opinions needed.

Hello--I currently drive a 2017 XE 20d with 11 k miles, but I've been getting antsy for something with more ”wow” factor. The dealer gave me a loaded XJL to drive for 2 weeks while mine was in for some work, and it just completely and utterly ruined me! 😉. I've located one that I could be very happy with, but then I was looking at the R Sports as well. They seem to be well-equipped and I understand the length difference, and of course, the price difference. We're going to test drive both on Wednesday, but I wondered if somebody could sort of prepare me for the less obvious differences. Is the actual driving experience really noticeable between the two? What other factors should I be considering before I buy? Thanks for your help.

Old 05-11-2019, 09:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,139 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Drive a 2013-up 5.0L Supercharged before you make a decision, unless you live in an area where you need AWD or fuel economy is a priority. The "base" 5.0LSC has 470HP and the low-end torque is addictive. 5.0LSC models are also available with 510HP and 575HP. The 8-speed transmission and Meridian Surround Sound System were introduced with the 2013 models. Yes, all 5.0LSC models are overkill, but they're amazing fun to drive.

You can save a substantial amount of money by purchasing a Certified Pre-Owned XJ from a Jaguar dealer. Don't limit your search to your neighborhood, as XJs are scarce when compared to other luxury sedans. "The one", with your colors and options, is worth the trip or shipping cost. Do your homework and research, research, research so you can make an informed decision before you buy.

Good luck with your search!

Old 05-11-2019, 09:34 PM
Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

What is your opinion of the XE diesel? How long does a DEF fill last and where do you buy it? How many miles can you get from a tank of fuel?

Old 05-12-2019, 07:27 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Jag7, I have a 2012 XJ (5.0L NA) and I have driven an XE-S (with the supercharged V6). The big difference is simply size. This is a pro and a con, depending on the person. Some like the room, some hate the fact that you need "40 acres to turn the car". Sounds like the size is not really the issue. I would say that the not so obvious is the materials that the car is made with. The XE has a lot of plastic to it and what you think is leather is really "leather seating surfaces" (ie, where your butt touches is leather, but the rest of the seat is fake leather where the XJ, it is 100% leather). I would say that another not so obvious thing is the XJ has headlights that turn where you turn the steering wheel (park the car in front of a garage door at night, turn on the lights and then turn the steering wheel). I do not believe that is an option with the XE.

As for tech, I think you will find that the two cars are going to be very similar. Granted, what is optional in the XE is going to be more than likely standard with the XJ. So, compare apples to apples when looking at options if you are pondering "I should just stay in my XE". I know to get an XE how I would want it was going to run me nearly $60K when the basic XJ had the same power and options for around $80K.

If you are thinking you are going to get more heads to turn driving the XJ, there will be a few more, but most are going to recognize the look of the car and not so much the model. When I drove my 12 year old X-Type, everyone asked how I could afford a Jag. I just laughed as they were parking their $50K truck (my X-Type was only worth about $5K at the time). Most people only see the kitty emblem and stop there.

One thing that I would tell you to think/look into is the rear seats. With an XJ, you are going to get just basic seats in the back (they do have heated seats though). Where, if you look into the XJL, you can get options to get airline trays and other rear seat creature comforts. But, this is a rare option. But, if you have say clients in the back of your car or have kids, this may be something that makes the car all too well worth it.

Old 05-12-2019, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by AJ16er
What is your opinion of the XE diesel? How long does a DEF fill last and where do you buy it? How many miles can you get from a tank of fuel?

I went about 5000 miles before it needed a refill. My husband got it at Menard's, I believe. There is a dash light that's supposed to flash to show that it needs refilling. With the diesel, I was getting about 30 mpg.

Old 05-12-2019, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Drive a 2013-up 5.0L Supercharged before you make a decision, unless you live in an area where you need AWD or fuel economy is a priority. The "base" 5.0LSC has 470HP and the low-end torque is addictive. 5.0LSC models are also available with 510HP and 575HP. The 8-speed transmission and Meridian Surround Sound System were introduced with the 2013 models. Yes, all 5.0LSC models are overkill, but they're amazing fun to drive.

You can save a substantial amount of money by purchasing a Certified Pre-Owned XJ from a Jaguar dealer. Don't limit your search to your neighborhood, as XJs are scarce when compared to other luxury sedans. "The one", with your colors and options, is worth the trip or shipping cost. Do your homework and research, research, research so you can make an informed decision before you buy.

Good luck with your search!
Thank you, I didn't know about the supercharged. I will research this. This is why I like to come to these forums!

Old 05-12-2019, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Jag7, I have a 2012 XJ (5.0L NA) and I have driven an XE-S (with the supercharged V6). The big difference is simply size. This is a pro and a con, depending on the person. Some like the room, some hate the fact that you need "40 acres to turn the car". Sounds like the size is not really the issue. I would say that the not so obvious is the materials that the car is made with. The XE has a lot of plastic to it and what you think is leather is really "leather seating surfaces" (ie, where your butt touches is leather, but the rest of the seat is fake leather where the XJ, it is 100% leather). I would say that another not so obvious thing is the XJ has headlights that turn where you turn the steering wheel (park the car in front of a garage door at night, turn on the lights and then turn the steering wheel). I do not believe that is an option with the XE.

As for tech, I think you will find that the two cars are going to be very similar. Granted, what is optional in the XE is going to be more than likely standard with the XJ. So, compare apples to apples when looking at options if you are pondering "I should just stay in my XE". I know to get an XE how I would want it was going to run me nearly $60K when the basic XJ had the same power and options for around $80K.

If you are thinking you are going to get more heads to turn driving the XJ, there will be a few more, but most are going to recognize the look of the car and not so much the model. When I drove my 12 year old X-Type, everyone asked how I could afford a Jag. I just laughed as they were parking their $50K truck (my X-Type was only worth about $5K at the time). Most people only see the kitty emblem and stop there.

One thing that I would tell you to think/look into is the rear seats. With an XJ, you are going to get just basic seats in the back (they do have heated seats though). Where, if you look into the XJL, you can get options to get airline trays and other rear seat creature comforts. But, this is a rare option. But, if you have say clients in the back of your car or have kids, this may be something that makes the car all too well worth it.
My XE just seems a little dull now that I've seen ”the other side of the mountain. ”. I'm ready for real leather, massaging lumbar seats and not having to push the key fob to lock/unlock the doors. I don't know how many good driving years I have left--I am 67--but I would like some luxury and some classic beauty. Thanks for your remarks--they are helpful.

Old 05-12-2019, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,139 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Age isn't about years; it's about your attitude. It's mind over matter, so if your wife doesn't mind, it doesn't matter!

Think young and you'll be young.

Old 05-12-2019, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Age isn't about years; it's about your attitude. It's mind over matter, so if your wife doesn't mind, it doesn't matter!

Think young and you'll be young.

LOL, I am the wife! I just know that a big beautiful XJL is going to take years off my age. I may even let my husband drive it from time to time.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jag7:
roviw (06-15-2019), Stuart S (05-13-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 06:55 PM
Veteran member

Jag7, if anything, I would say now is the time to get it. If you can find say a 15, maybe even a 16 XJL, you can pick it up for what you probably paid for the XE. That will make the price worthwhile and not much more than you are spending now. Then you can enjoy the comfort and the nice ride. Enjoy the retired life. Do some looking, figure out what you need and go from there. Odds are, the diesel XJ or the 3.0L will be all that you need. Granted, I have to admit, the 5.0L is a blast to drive.

Old 05-13-2019, 12:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

Get the 2014 XJR, $35k ($120k New), 0-60 3.8 seconds per MotorTrend.
Here are some for sale: https://bit.ly/2Yopv0s

The following users liked this post:
Stuart S (05-13-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 06:15 AM
Received 179 Likes on 116 Posts

Be aware that once you have it there will never be another car that you consider a "trade up", so don't plan on ever buying anything else! (... other than another one)

Old 05-13-2019, 06:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is true what one said about doing a nation wide search. It took me three months to find the 2016 XJL with a CPO warranty and in the colors I wanted...and I had a 1,000 mile plus trip to pick it up. But, a word to the wise; don’t believe the CarFax as infallible. As it happened, we had a slight accident affecting the front driver’s side bumper. Upon having it repaired, the repair shop had me come by to show me ‘hidden’ damage from a previously undisclosed accident. Needless to say, the dealership wouldn’t reimburse me the extra repairs for the prior damage. They rested on the clean CarFax report. Although I couldn’t see any prior damage when picking up the car, the technician at the repair facility said it was obvious it had been painted before on the driver’s door. However, the car looks new again and I love it just as much...just paid more than I should have! By the way, my Jag is a ‘bucket list’ item I’ve desired since graduating from college and I’m now 69. I obviously don’t feel/look 21 again, but I do feel good in the Jag and in retrospect didn’t miss the wait. I would say go for the XJL and good luck in your hunt!

Old 06-14-2019, 04:48 PM
Default I got one!!!

Originally Posted by Jag7
Hello--I currently drive a 2017 XE 20d with 11 k miles, but I've been getting antsy for something with more ”wow” factor. The dealer gave me a loaded XJL to drive for 2 weeks while mine was in for some work, and it just completely and utterly ruined me! 😉. I've located one that I could be very happy with, but then I was looking at the R Sports as well. They seem to be well-equipped and I understand the length difference, and of course, the price difference. We're going to test drive both on Wednesday, but I wondered if somebody could sort of prepare me for the less obvious differences. Is the actual driving experience really noticeable between the two? What other factors should I be considering before I buy? Thanks for your help.
So the day before yesterday, I drove home a big beautiful XJ 50, Fuji white with black interior. I need to get used to how much longer it is than my XE--a little nerve-wracking going in and out of the garage!😖.
I will try and post a pic of it here. I'm happy!

The following 2 users liked this post by Jag7:
roviw (06-15-2019), Wolfy (06-14-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 07:14 PM
Veteran member

Jag7, enjoy the ride. You will get used to the longer car. Lay the seat back, put in some nice music and enjoy the ride. Maybe even abuse the loud pedal periodically to keep yourself young and enjoy the hard pulls the car can do. Worst case, you can take a few 2x4's and create a little bump for inside the garage so you can slowly pull forward till you feel the tires bump up against the 2x4. Then you know you are in your spot and can park the car. Cut 1 board the width of the car (maybe a bit more, but not much more, otherwise it can create a trip hazzard) and then you need 2 boards that run from near the end of the first board to some solid structural spot in the garage. If you walk in front of the car, then you can simply run a long strip (or two or three) of double sided tape and tape the board to the floor. That way, as you move into the garage, as you hit the board, the tires are going to somewhat push the board into the floor and the tape is going to make sure over time the board is not going to move. Granted I have seen where people have bought tire stops (like you use when you put a car up on a jack to prevent the car from rolling) and then they have drilled a hole or two into the garage floor so they can fasten the stop to the floor. Then you simply roll slowly forward till you feel the tires touch the stop. Some people have a problem with this as they don't want to drill a few small holes in their garage floor.

Old 06-15-2019, 12:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 219 Posts

A washer on a string suspended from the garage ceiling so that it just touches the windshield is an effective aid for positioning your car. In no time at all you'll get the hang of it! My first big car was a 1973 Lincoln Continental Town Car so, by comparison, the size of my XJL was never a concern. Happy motoring!

Dwayne

Old 06-15-2019, 02:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jag7, your XJ is a beauty especially in white. Have fun with it! These are 20“, right?

Old 06-15-2019, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 512 Likes on 413 Posts

I installed Park Zone PZ-1900 Platinum Dual Power Garage Parking Aid
Amazon Amazon
unit on the wall in front of the car and then you can set your distance to stop easily.

Last edited by XJsss; 06-15-2019 at 08:10 AM.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by dr.snooze
Jag7, your XJ is a beauty especially in white. Have fun with it! These are 20“, right?
Yes, they are 20's.

Old 06-15-2019, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by dga57
A washer on a string suspended from the garage ceiling so that it just touches the windshield is an effective aid for positioning your car. In no time at all you'll get the hang of it! My first big car was a 1973 Lincoln Continental Town Car so, by comparison, the size of my XJL was never a concern. Happy motoring!

Dwayne
Right now there's an old teddy bear hanging down from the ceiling. When I can look him in the eye, I know I've arrived correctly--LOL.

Quick Reply: Opinions needed.