XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Remote trunk close?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2020, 11:41 AM
Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm certainly glad you documented the step-by-step procedure you followed to do the installation. So, you didn't need to remove the the tailgate/boot close switch? Just disconnecting the manual trunk release is sufficient? The seller's #1 step for installation is to "pull out tail/gate/boot close switch and . . . disconnect green
connector . . .", then remove lower cover panel.

I'll sure give it a try. I'll pretend I'm still in my teens when nothing was impossible to fix on my 1949 Ford, when changing out V-8 engines was just an overnight inconvenience.

THANX

Old 08-08-2020, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 515 Likes on 413 Posts

No the close boot switch stays in the panel, but I did remove the panel and then you unplug it from the back. . The panel is held in by plastic pop in out clips. You have to pull the panel itself out. The ones closest to the trunk lip are a little firmer to pull on and I used a plastic trim removal tool.

Old 08-08-2020, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member

I have updated my post #18 with pdf of panel and e brake removal

Old 08-09-2020, 08:02 PM
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

My install took a little longer as I have to clean everything before re-installing even if it isn't seen.
I thought I would add a few pictures for reference.
The two clips that face down are the hardest to remove. I removed the outer 4 clips and simply got my hand behind the panel and pushed down.
Panel removed:

Clip locations on panel:

Right side lower clip location on vehicle:

This works great!!!
A few things I also noticed.
It will not close if the vehicle is locked UNLESS you use the chrome bumper button.
The bumper button will close the lip if the vehicle is locked or unlocked.
On the 2016 the remote has to be within 5ft of the trunk/boot for the lid to close (wish there was a fix for this).

Old 08-10-2020, 03:31 AM
Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Useful feature and well engineered item obviously, I think I’m going to buy one also, thanks for the hint.

How do you think it works? Only electrically « cheating » the system, or is a chip inside that interfaces with the canbus?

Old 08-10-2020, 06:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,192 Likes on 3,405 Posts
Default Use Your Head As An Antenna!

Originally Posted by NvmyJag
... On the 2016 the remote has to be within 5ft of the trunk/boot for the lid to close (wish there was a fix for this).

Use your keyfob to repeatedly open and close the trunk, while continuing to move farther away from your car until the keyfob doesn't close the trunk lid. Stop right there and leave the lid open.

Hold the keyfob under your chin, slightly open your mouth and push the button while facing the trunk of your XJ. If the lid closes, repeat the above and see how much farther away you can get before the keyfob doesn't work. Let us know the results.

I'm not joking.

https://driver-safety.wonderhowto.co...range-0139966/

Old 08-11-2020, 04:47 PM
Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Has anyone else sworn a couple of times after exiting the vehicle and knee hits trunk/boot button and -- there you go, the trunk/boot lid flies open! Makes me crazy! Although, I recently moved from an XJ to an XJL, and it doesn't happen as often. Possibly there's a bit more room/distance from the dash to the driver position. Either that, or I've shrunken more than I thought as I grow older.

Just wondering?.

Old 08-11-2020, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,285 Likes on 1,798 Posts

Maybe your much taller than me? But I have never hit that button and I have a SWB car.

Old 08-12-2020, 06:55 AM
Veteran Member

That damn button, I've hit it so many times, but now I don't care I just push it and the trunk/boot closes.

Old 08-13-2020, 05:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,192 Likes on 3,405 Posts

Originally Posted by XJsss
That damn button, I've hit it so many times ...
Robert,
That's why I won't let you drive my XKR!

BR,
Stuart

The following users liked this post:
XJsss (08-13-2020)
Old 08-13-2020, 01:28 PM
Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Glad it was helpful and I should have posted about it sooner?
I did not realize that it was not well known?
Great product! Glad I posted the question. I was moments away from pulling wires and trim when I had the brain drizzle of asking the forum
Ordered August 1, USA delivery August 12. Thirty minute install, because I couldn't disconnect the white connector. Needed to remove the trunk latch (Torx 40) to gain access to white plug release tang. Works as advertised, much better than my last repair job ....

XJsss (08-13-2020)
Old 08-16-2020, 04:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It seemed that the trickiest part of the install is removing the manual trunk release. So I just left it alone. Pull the 4 back clips down, then pull out the 2 remaining clips at the front of the hard trim (trim removing tool is handy but almost anything will work just pad any painted boot area that you will push against). Once all clips are off there is enough space to see and work from the side or behind the lowered panel. Maybe not 10 minutes, but easily a half hour job, and that's because I double checked all the plugs are snapped in well.
Two quick tips:
1) When reconnecting the green plug to the trunk close button on bottom of boot lid, use one hand to hold the button from getting pushed out as you are pushing in the clip from the inside. Otherwise the button may get pushed out and the 2 small retaining clips can easily fall off.
2) When done close the boot from your remote. If it works, great. If doesn't better to find out now than to accidentally manually close boot and have no way to re-open.

Old 08-17-2020, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member

Pretty unique door cut out too!!

Old 08-20-2020, 08:17 AM
Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

I was being facetious, but it looks like everyone took me seriously!

Old 08-29-2020, 10:03 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Just fitted today

was easier than i thought, didn’t remove the emergency latch, just worked at fitting whilst sat in the boot . A bit fiddly as the white plug would not release easily, Purchased it from Jez on ebay.

Old 08-29-2020, 07:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just installed it mine, but it's not closing the trunk when I press the button inside the car, on my remote or silver button on the back of the car. I took everything off and tried again and double checked all the wires.

The button inside the car still opens the trunk as expected and the button on the trunk lid still closes it.

Anything else I should try? I may have gotten a bad unit.

Old 09-04-2020, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 494 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Artie
I just installed it mine, but it's not closing the trunk when I press the button inside the car, on my remote or silver button on the back of the car. I took everything off and tried again and double checked all the wires.

The button inside the car still opens the trunk as expected and the button on the trunk lid still closes it.

Anything else I should try? I may have gotten a bad unit.
Thanks for posting this, despite your issue. Being able to close the trunk from inside the car, is why I'm interested in this kit.

(Still find myself occasionally picking up take-out food, from restaurants that will bring it out to your car)

EDIT.....I just ordered one of these, and should have it late next week, or so. I'll report back, when I have it installed.

Last edited by leadfoot4; 09-05-2020 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-04-2020, 02:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, I can't wait to get mine working. Still surprised it's not a standard feature for the XJ. My dad's 04 Chrysler Pacifica has it.

Also, just to update people on this thread. I spoke with the seller and they've already shipped out a replacement.

Old 09-10-2020, 04:41 AM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

A brief history of this "gizmo".
The guy who makes and sells these, Jez, is the same guy who has made the LED upgrade headlight harnesses for me. I originally contacted him about this remote boot-closer after a couple of members on a UK forum (jaginfo) had fitted them and I wondered if it would work on the XJ.
In short, it did . . . and then it didn't . . . . and then it did.
I'm fortunate to live quite close to Jez and he came to see me. After a couple of test units, he got it right and it's this version that you guys are now buying. I can't speak too highly of him.
(He did mention that he was selling a lot the "yanks" when I saw him last weekend! )

XJsss (09-10-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member

Yes I also want to compliment Jez. When I ordered my trunk opener he told me to wait a bit as he had gotten some bad parts and wanted to verify what was good before he sent mine out.
I appreciate him being honest and waiting a bit for something that works perfect is OK with me!

It's a shame he never did get his version of the LED harness working better. I was ready to buy too. Still have the weak J-blade running lights.

Quick Reply: Remote trunk close?