XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Roof pops and Creaks in my 2nd XJ

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 01:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Roof pops and Creaks in my 2nd XJ

This is my 2nd XJ, they gave me it after all the issues on the first low vin car only 800 miles on it, vin is hi 15,000 and the popping is coming back. they told me all the fixes were done at factory. I'm pissed.
and now a creaking sound when i go over dips, not bumps, but dips.
this is ridiculous.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:57 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I too would be very upset if I went through what you've experienced. However, I'm not sure if the various service actions and special service actions are performed at the factory (pre-delivery), or if your dealer is just blowing smoke.

I've only had the "roof-popping" issue, and it required a second go at it to resolve it once-for-all. I'm convinced that competent and knowledgeable service technicians are the key in resolving just about any issue. The second time around, my dealership's creative and competent technicians went beyond just following the bulletin's instructions, discovered the source of the "popping" and addressed that. In the process of ferreting out the popping noise, they also discovered a slight creaking sound coming from the B pillars and also eliminated that.

The point here is that I believe the "popping" and "creaking" noises can be eliminated, but you may have to go to another dealership in hopes of finding that creative, competent and knowledgeable technician.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:35 PM

The dealer is no excuse. A car of this caliber should never have been in production with this issue.
In fact the roof issue should be a recall. And every owner should be given the option of a refund or new car.

The following users liked this post:
MGDMNY (07-09-2011)
Old 05-23-2011, 03:59 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by jcamp
The dealer is no excuse. A car of this caliber should never have been in production with this issue.
In fact the roof issue should be a recall. And every owner should be given the option of a refund or new car.
I have to disagree. Every new car I've owned has had some issues that the dealer had to address after delivery--they just don't make them perfect at the factory and that's why there's a warranty. I agree that this first model year car has had its share of problems and that's why it's most important to have a dealer with competant, knowledgeable technicians to take care of them. There is no way any car manufacturer is going to issue a recall for some extraneous noises and take back cars--recalls are for safety issues. Their obligation is to fix them to the customer's satisfaction in a timely manner and, unfortunately, this falls back on the dealer to sort out. It's their cross to bear and, if anything, Jaguar needs to thoroughly investigate their dealer network to find out who is capable and who is not and fix that.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:16 PM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Roof noise.

There is a fix for the poping noise. Forget the crappy bullentin Jaguar put out. What I've been doing to the cars is loosing up the sunroog frame bolts a 1/4 of a turn and the poping and knocking noises are gone. Also the front roof glass needs to adjusted to, so it doesn't rub against the frame of the sunroof. Even though that these roofs will not knock, or pop anymore, you will still have what appears to be a rubbing noise. I haven't figured what this noise is yet. Jaguar wont pay enough diag time for it, so..... Let Jaguar "engineers" figure out.

MGDMNY (07-09-2011)
Old 05-26-2011, 08:37 PM

I would never fix it on my own

Old 05-30-2011, 11:32 AM

Last week with all the rain the creaking was nonstop, now I have just pops. I believe it is a moisture issue the sunroof and it's components must expand in the in climate weather, like in the winter the popping was greater.
I will bring in Gears email to show the service manager to make sure all the tbs were done.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:59 PM
pwl
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

About 4,000 miles on my SECOND XJ (first was replaced), and the popping started about a week ago. Please please please let my CLS AMG order come in soon. I am not even going to bother getting this fixed. I will let some other poor sap deal with the noise when they pick it up as a used car.

Goodbye soon Jaguar. I will never be back.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

I can see your woes and best of luck with your Mercedes - Benz
Happy safe driving

Old 06-03-2011, 10:42 AM

It only makes a pop when I go on a incline in a driveway, makes no noise over bumps, maybe I'm making a big deal over it, thats what my wife says.
2 weeks ago it was creaking when driving 5 mph now that noise is gone.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:44 PM

The tech also told me it's the first year the car has popping in thecroof issues not on all cars,
Well this is my 2nd car and it has popping two it can't just be coincidental.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:16 AM

I'd like to add my comments; 1st HouTexJag is correct in saying "all cars have their issues" from Ferrari's to Lambo's to our friends brand new S550 MB. 2nd, My XJL is starting to make the noises over the rough roads in NY / Long Island. Not happy w/ it but dealer seams intent on fixing it (will post when I get a chance to take it in). Also, electronic gremlins are back. Cruise control disconnected yesterday over a smallish bump in the road. Radio stopped working for 1/2 day. It can get to you and I feel badly for those of us w/ the nagging problems. On the other hand, there are only a few of us that point out the problems. There are thousands of XJ's out there. Hope they are trouble free. Still love the looks of this machine.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:29 PM

they have my car since last tue 6/7 dealer gave me a update that they are still working on it , tech hears 1 noise and they want to fix all noises.
still no explanation what makes the popping, they just told me they are making adjustments and assured me they are gonna fix.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof Pop

I just took my XJL back to the dealership for roof popping for the 5th time. My dealership has tried to fix the problem and probably has three weeks invested in my repair. They hear the noise loud and clear and find the issue unacceptable.

I totally believe this is a product defect. This is not some minor issue that us new Jag owners need to get used to.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by MGDMNY
I just took my XJL back to the dealership for roof popping for the 5th time. My dealership has tried to fix the problem and probably has three weeks invested in my repair. They hear the noise loud and clear and find the issue unacceptable.

I totally believe this is a product defect. This is not some minor issue that us new Jag owners need to get used to.
Here we go again--this topic has certainly been beat to death. The roof popping problem has been identified by Jaguar and a proven fix given to the dealers--the question is, can your dealer's techs perform this successfully? It seems that some can, some can't. You may have to go up the ladder and insist that a qualified tech be sent to your dealer by Jaguar to get it done.

Old 07-09-2011, 04:20 PM
Default Roof Pop

The dealerships' General Manager and I took the car out today. He was just brought up to speed on the cars' roof problem by the service departments' manager. I believe he will do whatever it takes to get the problem resolved.

I love the car, but I'm justifiably frustrated that it has spent about three weeks in the shop since 5/1/11. Not what you would expect at this price point. I'm sure there are thousands of satisfied XJ owners out there, but when it's your car that is defective, the problem is 100% of the time.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:48 PM
pwl
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HouTexJag
Here we go again--this topic has certainly been beat to death. The roof popping problem has been identified by Jaguar and a proven fix given to the dealers--the question is, can your dealer's techs perform this successfully? It seems that some can, some can't. You may have to go up the ladder and insist that a qualified tech be sent to your dealer by Jaguar to get it done.
not "here we go again"....these are initial cars, later cars, redux on fixed cars, etc. all popping. I for one do not wish for a "jim bob" at some shop to pull out the roof liner on a $90,000 car and proceed to insert bushings, wedges, rubber washers, shimmies and chewing gum to keep the roof from creaking and cracking. Some of these people have gone all the way up the "ladder" as you suggest, only to get new cars with more popping. The fact it, the 2011 XJ will forever be knonw my savy consumers as the car with the roof pop...the only fix, is get a 2012 XJ (assuming jag gets its act together) or get a different car.

MGDMNY (07-09-2011)
Old 07-10-2011, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by pwl
not "here we go again"....these are initial cars, later cars, redux on fixed cars, etc. all popping. I for one do not wish for a "jim bob" at some shop to pull out the roof liner on a $90,000 car and proceed to insert bushings, wedges, rubber washers, shimmies and chewing gum to keep the roof from creaking and cracking. Some of these people have gone all the way up the "ladder" as you suggest, only to get new cars with more popping. The fact it, the 2011 XJ will forever be knonw my savy consumers as the car with the roof pop...the only fix, is get a 2012 XJ (assuming jag gets its act together) or get a different car.
Well, we certainly will never know just how many owners are experiencing this problem since only a hand full have discussed it on this forum which is not a very significant sample. My dealer has an excellent tech that followed Jaguar's TSB's to the letter and fixed mine once and for all--from what I understand, it's the same fix that has been incorporated into new XJ's coming off the assembly line with no problems.

You need to get off your soapbox on this and move on. You had a bad experience, you dumped the car, and you're done--we got that. Your personal vendetta against Jaguar on this forum is getting a little old.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:27 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

My name is not Jim Bob, and I hear Jesus is due for his second coming. All just to build the ""PERFECT" car...........
Jaguar is coming out with another TSB for a differant fix and word from regional tech reps on their loaners is...........it doesnt work either. There are too many things that can cause issues. and I wish theyde put a friggen solid roof in the car to stop all the BS.
you think $90k should not have this issue? Why is it that this country can spend TRILLIONS every yr and will still have problems???? Cause no amount of money will ever = perfection ...........period

Old 07-11-2011, 08:56 PM
Default XF Roof creaking too

My 2-year old 2010 XF roof has started to creak. Just wanted you XJ owners to know you are not alone. I can hear the noises only when the sunroof shade is open. When I pull the shade shut, I cannot hear the noises.

Quick Reply: Roof pops and Creaks in my 2nd XJ