XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Roof pops and Creaks in my 2nd XJ

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 11:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now I know I'm not the only one with "the roof pop". Sucks.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:25 AM
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,356 Posts

We've been dealing with roof pops ever since jaguar came out with the long wheel base vdp cars in the 90's. You cannot join multiple pieces of metal together and increase the length(leverage) and then not have some noises appear in some cars because the metal is contantly tweeked. Forced upon etc.... Hell when jaguar went to the aluminum structure in 04, the stiffness and quietness of the car improved immensly. I drive my 96 vdp without squeeks, pops and rattle(for the most part) and constantly think i have a window down due to the road/wind noise i hear driving. Compared to the new jags, especially the 2011, that are about deafening theyre so so damn quiet going down the road. Just makes "any" little noise stand out even more

Old 07-14-2011, 11:49 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My 2011 is the quietest car I have ever owned. It's almost spooky that all I hear are the hum of the tires. Unless I am in Sport mode.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:55 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oops!!!!! My XJL was as quiet as a church mouse. Now I have 2750 miles and 8 months and it sounds like something is loose in the rear part of the roof. Sorry to have been so smug to those who have had this problem from the beginning.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:44 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Maybe it's got the bends from lack of use........... Just kidding!!!!!

Old 07-16-2011, 06:54 AM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default New FIX!!!!

Jaguar has just released a new fix procedure for the roof noise. Not the old fix, this just came out yesterday or the day before.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:01 AM

its already been shown to NOT work too

Old 07-16-2011, 05:57 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
You seem to be pretty vocal about your displeasure with Jaguar's ability to fix this problem. I see you're from my neck of the woods and I assume you're a tech at one of the Jaguar dealers in Houston, perhaps the south store since you're in Sugarland. I bought mine from the north store and they were able to fix the roof pop permanently shortly after delivery in June, 2010. I wonder if the SWB cars are easier to fix since you had commented about problems with the LWB cars even before the glass roof model. Could you elaborate further?

Old 07-17-2011, 08:28 AM

Our we talking about the same one. Not the one where you break off the glass (white) pegs. I haven't read this new SSM in full, but it's different from the old one. I just saw it this week on TOPIx. I hadn't seen it any other time before that.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank for you comments... but quoting you, "Just makes "any" little noise stand out even more"... is far, far, from what I was referring to or I assume others were referring to. A little noise here or there is one thing... I'm talking about a very loud pop in the roof/sun roof area whenever one or side of the car is off balance relative to the other side, like when going up a sidewalk ramp at an angle, or sometimes just hitting a road bump that is on one side of the car but not the other. It's so loud that passengers say "what was that?"

Old 07-17-2011, 12:09 PM

What is topix ?

Old 07-17-2011, 03:27 PM
pwl
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tom_in_milwaukee
Thank for you comments... but quoting you, "Just makes "any" little noise stand out even more"... is far, far, from what I was referring to or I assume others were referring to. A little noise here or there is one thing... I'm talking about a very loud pop in the roof/sun roof area whenever one or side of the car is off balance relative to the other side, like when going up a sidewalk ramp at an angle, or sometimes just hitting a road bump that is on one side of the car but not the other. It's so loud that passengers say "what was that?"
Join the club my friend. The only fix is to buy/lease something else. For a $90,000+ car, it's downright embarrassing when passengers say "what was that!"

Old 07-17-2011, 04:28 PM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by pwl
Join the club my friend. The only fix is to buy/lease something else. For a $90,000+ car, it's downright embarrassing when passengers say "what was that!"
Again not Jaguar's forum. Go to their site tell them their car sucks and move on. If you want I will give you the email to the VP of communications and you can tell him directly.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:46 PM
pwl
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ExpatJag
Again not Jaguar's forum. Go to their site tell them their car sucks and move on. If you want I will give you the email to the VP of communications and you can tell him directly.
Okay, post his email and I will contact him. Do you think he's not aware of the roof issues??

Old 07-18-2011, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by jaglover922
our we talking about the same one. Not the one where you break off the glass (white) pegs. I haven't read this new ssm in full, but it's different from the old one. I just saw it this week on topix. I hadn't seen it any other time before that.
yes not the white pegs and bend the studs or remove the nuts one. If that worked the newer cars would have had this done from the factory, and theyre not. Its the latest and greatest. And regional reps have done to personal xj's and popping returned(theirs) there are other issues and useally not 1 that causes everyones noise. Ive had success with the repairs ive done, but we'll see with what comes down. In my experiance it takes 3 good tsb's to fix a known prbolematic problem.
And pwl, ratan tata probobly knows about the issues..........

Old 07-18-2011, 03:31 PM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by pwl
Okay, post his email and I will contact him. Do you think he's not aware of the roof issues??

Old 07-18-2011, 06:09 PM

I have my own fix too. I don't know who your rep/field service tech is, I wont mention names, I will just use initials. My field service tech's intials are "MS", he sent that lastet and greatest BS to us the other day, I actually tried it today. It's a joke. I just went and did the repair that I do, and the noise(s) went away. PWL, I think your from my area, all you complaints sound familar.

yes not the white pegs and bend the studs or remove the nuts one. If that worked the newer cars would have had this done from the factory, and theyre not. Its the latest and greatest. And regional reps have done to personal xj's and popping returned(theirs) there are other issues and useally not 1 that causes everyones noise. Ive had success with the repairs ive done, but we'll see with what comes down. In my experiance it takes 3 good tsb's to fix a known prbolematic problem.
And pwl, ratan tata probobly knows about the issues..........

Old 07-18-2011, 06:12 PM

Your passangers are probably wondering why your still "crying" about your car. Like I said on other posts, go trade up, be upside down, and MOVE ON!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by pwl

Old 07-18-2011, 10:35 PM

Can you post the new fix please?

Old 07-19-2011, 03:18 AM

It doesn't work after all, Brutal and I agree. The one thing that does work is the glass adjustment part of this procedure. But that just takes care of one noise and not other noises.

Originally Posted by jcamp
Can you post the new fix please?

Quick Reply: Roof pops and Creaks in my 2nd XJ