XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Seeking suggestion for 2013 XJL brake rotors/pads

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 05:22 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Seeking suggestion for 2013 XJL brake rotors/pads

My 2013 XJL has 50,000 miles.
I replaced front brake pads and rotors. Hella Pagid pads and Zimmerman rotors (which I was assured are made in germany).
I never had pulsating issues, until after about 5000 miles after installation of this set.
I am assuming that the rotors have warped under heat.
I found original jaguar rotors at http://www.autohausaz.com/html/brandnames.html
They claim that they are genuine jaguar.. But I wonder how they can be so much less expensive than the dealer.. Could these be fake? Are there fake versions of Jaguar branded rotors?
Autohausaz also seems to sell Zimmerman and Hella Pagid.
Considering my experience with the combo, I am not sure what to do next.
What are the suggestions?
Based on how original Jaguar system worked, I would like to go with the jaguar parts but they seem over priced.
I have also, a 2012 XF. Brakes were replaced and they make a lot of squeeking noise. I had someone put a lot of grease on the back side of the pad, for front, and it seems to have gone away.. I have to do that for rear also.. Is this normal? Or do I need to buy new pads?

Old 09-21-2017, 07:38 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Check out anti-squeal paint before you install your next set of pads. Rotors should be pretty much the same wherever you go. What pads are you using? Ceramic? Usually you can bed/seat the brakes to remove the shimmy as it is from pad transfer to the rotors and not actually a warped rotor. Try that first.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by JagGate
Check out anti-squeal paint before you install your next set of pads. Rotors should be pretty much the same wherever you go. What pads are you using? Ceramic? Usually you can bed/seat the brakes to remove the shimmy as it is from pad transfer to the rotors and not actually a warped rotor. Try that first.
I should have made it clear.. There are TWO sepearte issues:
1. Rotors seem to have warped - Zimmerman brand. I have brake pulsation in the steering. Which rotos to buy? is that company selling "genuine Jaguar rotors", trust worthy? How can they sell genuine jaguar rotors at half the price?
2. I don't have a brake squeal (high pitch). It is more like a brake creak (low pitch).

Old 09-21-2017, 08:21 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Rotors that actually warp are pretty much a myth. As Jagate mentioned most likely the pulsating is pad material transferred to the rotor surface giving an uneven surface. Any corner garage will have the abrasive pads and tools to remove it.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
Rotors that actually warp are pretty much a myth.
Citation?

Old 09-21-2017, 08:35 AM

Rotors that actually warp are pretty much a myth. As Jagate mentioned most likely the pulsating is pad material transferred to the rotor surface giving an uneven surface. Any corner garage will have the abrasive pads and tools to remove it.
Will the pads need to be removed, in order to be cleaned?

Old 09-21-2017, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by jaguarxjl
No - just seat the brakes. Get up to 40 or so and brake hard down to almost 0 but never stop. Repeat until it gets better.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:13 AM
The following users liked this post:
mrlovt (03-18-2020)
Old 09-21-2017, 12:16 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have had no end of issues with "warped" discs when I've tried to use aftermarket parts with several other marques.

Not all discs (or rotors for our US cousins) are made equal

(Using term "warped" to cover all disc deformations that need skimming to resolve)

The following users liked this post:
QP7 (01-19-2024)
Old 09-21-2017, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by jaguarxjl
If Jaggate's suggestion doesn't work, then yes as well as the rotors to get access to both sides.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:44 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had my front and rears pads, sensors, and rotors replaced by a brake repair shop after the indicator came on at about 53,000 miles. I picked a repair place because of their high yelp reviews and customer service just in case something would not be to my liking and they have a 1 year satisfaction warranty. After the job was done, it seamed fine and he said they may squeak a bit before they set in. But after about 500 miles, the right front was squeaking progressively worse, so I returned to them and what they ended up doing was swapping out for a different brand set of pads. Squeak was instantly gone and I also noticed a completely more comfortable and easy brake pedal feel, a world of difference compared to the prior brand. So far no more squeaks and brake dust with both of these new sets he tried seemed to be about 50% of the old set of pads. This is the reason I didn't want to do it myself, but this was my own personal need.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:37 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Akebono Euro Ceramic brake pads can solve all the world issues. You get what you pay for.

Old 09-22-2017, 08:33 AM

If Jaggate's suggestion doesn't work, then yes as well as the rotors to get access to both sides.
His suggestion did not work. Aftermarket stuff for Jaguar is junk. Both my jags have creaking issues with aftermarket sets. One has original brakes on one axle and it is perfect. Jaguar Genuine is so expensive! I found good deal at autohausaz.com for jag genuine disks.. but I am wondering if they really are Genuine!

I had bought aftermarket ceramic pads and discs and they worked just fine for my lexus 600.. Not a creak or warp.. Supposedly, this time, for my jag..they were made in germany - both pads and rotors.. I am thinking germans are cheating and they are outsourcing! .. they are probably made in India or China! but i thought I saw "made in germany" on the box of the zimmerman rotors or hella pads!

Does anyone know of a good source of Jaguar rotors and pads?

Old 09-22-2017, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,236 Likes on 1,765 Posts

I have had very good luck using R1 Concepts products.
Used them on my old 2005 STR.
Maybe worth a look and they do show the XJ and XJR in their listings.

https://www.r1concepts.com/

I like they have 4 rotor options so if you want the slots and holes you can get them or not.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:58 AM
Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

I put a set of Centric rotors and ceramic pads on the back 20,000 miles ago. Couldn't be happier. No squeaking issues, reduced brake dust considerably, no pulsing, doubled the brake life and a fraction of the OEM price. It was suggested to reuse the OEM spring clips, which I did. They were a bit beefier than the aftermarket spring clips.
I wasn't too concerned over price, but the brake dust was driving me nuts! The rear wheels would be completely dusty in 3 days. I have never seen a car that wears out the rear pads faster than the fronts. I have heard two stories why 1) the traction control applies the rear brakes. 2) the XJ applies the rear brakes first to reduce front end dive for a smoother stop. Both might be a myth, but that is what the Internet forums are for ...

Old 09-25-2017, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member

No I think both of those things are true.

I first ran across it when I had a Lincoln LS. But that car lacked a locking diff so it was very easy when coming out of a corner from a stop to get the traction control kicking in (rear brakes).

Same problem 10 times worse when I had my S Type R. Which REALLY needed the locking rear.

With my newer XJR the rear e-diff makes a huge difference! So much easier to put the power to the ground without drama! Or the brakes kicking in. So maybe it will not have a much rear brake dust.
Of course I have the gray wheels so that kinda fixed that problem.

All 3 cars use the anti-dive concept when braking which loads the rear brakes more.

Another vote for Akebono ceramic pads. Put them on the S Type and ran them for 70K miles and they were still not worn out! When the XJ needs pads I hope they are making them for the XJR. I heard they are currently not available from Akebono.

Last edited by clubairth1; 09-25-2017 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:59 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The funny (and kinda frustrating) thing about Akebono is that they have pads only for the XJ's rear (code EUR1095). Why they make them for the rears but not the fronts baffles me to no end.

On this subject, will there be issues using two different brands of pads for the front and rear (eg. EBC fronts and Akebono rears)? I read somewhere regarding maintaining coefficient of friction which is best achieved by using pads from the same manufacturer. But would like some thoughts on this please. Thanks.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member

I try to keep them the same brand but I never have all 4 wheels wear out at the same time!

So in reality I usually have different pads front and back.
Not sure I can tell if that's bad or not?

Old 10-04-2017, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
I try to keep them the same brand but I never have all 4 wheels wear out at the same time!

So in reality I usually have different pads front and back.
Not sure I can tell if that's bad or not?
It doesn't matter.

Old 10-04-2017, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member

That's what I thought but there are a BUNCH of different pads out there so I was not sure.