XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Should I get rid of my 2011 xj for Roof creaks ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 12:56 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Should I get rid of my 2011 xj for Roof creaks ?

I had my car replaced and fixed with the last new kit and it is still creaking no pops but creaks especially when driving very slow like 5 mph making turns, is it time to let go and trade or live with it ?

Old 05-17-2012, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

I'll be looking to trade our 05 VDP for a newer XJL in the near future. If I can ask, can you record these creaks as you hear them in your cabin and post here so that we can experience the same sounds for our own edification?

Depending on how loud they are and whether you listen to the radio/music would determine whether you could live with it (IMO). I can't remember the last time I drove without listening to the radio.

TIA

Old 05-21-2012, 10:21 PM

Im thinking about trading it for a Maseratti Quattro

Old 05-22-2012, 06:42 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by aceeg
Im thinking about trading it for a Maseratti Quattro

A friend of mine owns the Maseratti/Ferrari dealership on Long Island, and he told me that while these cars are amazing and beautiful, he said, "they're all bitches!"

So, if you do make the trade, expect to be dealing with a lot more than just roof creaks.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:27 AM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Thumbs down

I am not one to sugar coat so going to be blunt..

This question is one obviously only you can answer. Why start a thread like this unless you just want to start a rant about jaguar and poor quality and poor design etc etc ....

I just don't see the point.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:46 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by aahmichael
A friend of mine owns the Maseratti/Ferrari dealership on Long Island, and he told me that while these cars are amazing and beautiful, he said, "they're all bitches!"

So, if you do make the trade, expect to be dealing with a lot more than just roof creaks.
Had an '07 Maserati QP for 2 years and 24,000 miles prior to my XJ and it was not fun working with the local Ferrari dealer--they have no sense of urgency when it comes to service. This was my daily driver and not just a weekend toy like they're used to. Also took a real bath when I traded it in--they do not hold their value worth a darn.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 148 Posts

if you decide to trade it, you could post the "trade in value" and I'd bet someone would give you more, even with the creak.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:44 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002XK8Orlando

This question is one obviously only you can answer. Why start a thread like this unless you just want to start a rant about jaguar and poor quality and poor design etc etc ....

Because that's all he does! He should get rid of the car so we don't have to listen to his bellyaching.......

Old 05-22-2012, 07:06 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Some disgruntled folks just like to stir the pot with the misguided idea that somehow it will hurt the manufacturer by driving away business. I certainly like to hear about problems as a means of finding solutions (I have learned a lot by participating on a number of car and motorcycle forums), but going on and on with blow by blow accounts of their unsuccessful attempts to solve their problem is a bore. IMHO that is not the purpose of these forums.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member

Is here a production number that is supposed to be the cutoff between the ones with the popping and those without?

Old 05-22-2012, 10:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What did the dealer say about the creaking noise? If it's there, they will fix it. They're not going to tell you to deal with it. If you are having multiple issues with the car, I wouldn't ask us if it's time to get rid of it...just try another of the "evils". From experience, it's never the lesser of.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:28 PM

If you go to jaguar topix you'll see a long list of bulletins from stuck open car door handles to the annoying roof fixes ,these hi end cars should not have so many problems.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member

A quick internet search for TSB's resulted in a couple of tables - one for BMW 7 series and one for Jaguar XJ. No comparison is fool-proof, but I thought the numbers were interesting in light of aceeg's post above ---

First BMW BMW 7 Series Bulletin Scoreboards Listed by model year

Name:  ScreenShot2012-05-25at23259PM.png
Views: 105
Size:  20.8 KB

Next Jaguar Jaguar XJ Bulletin Scoreboards Listed by model year

Name:  ScreenShot2012-05-25at23317PM.png
Views: 127
Size:  21.0 KB

Old 05-25-2012, 01:42 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by aceeg
If you go to jaguar topix you'll see a long list of bulletins from stuck open car door handles to the annoying roof fixes ,these hi end cars should not have so many problems.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:01 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I thought the question of popping, creaking, knocking sounds -what ever you may call it, coming from the overhead, was explained months ago.

I had that problem and it is an easy fix at no cost to you. If your Dealership is having trouble fixing this small problem-you best find another.

~LATER~
BILL-------------------------------->

Old 05-26-2012, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member

I had an Acura in the early 2000's that had a bad transmission -- the dealer would take my car for the day, pretend to "look into the problem" and give me the car back at the end of the day saying "we couldn't reproduce the problem!" I took the service manager (not the tech or the rep, but the mgr) for a ride -- next thing you know I'm getting a new car! LOL Sometimes you just need to be pushy! I know Aceeg got one new car, it's time to get real pushy -- and don't let off until the problem is resolved. Of course, if you'd rather just complain, that's your choice, but the problem CAN be resolved.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:21 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

"That's Funny"

Old 05-26-2012, 03:56 PM
RJC
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by OldMike
I had an Acura in the early 2000's that had a bad transmission -- the dealer would take my car for the day, pretend to "look into the problem" and give me the car back at the end of the day saying "we couldn't reproduce the problem!" I took the service manager (not the tech or the rep, but the mgr) for a ride -- next thing you know I'm getting a new car! LOL Sometimes you just need to be pushy! I know Aceeg got one new car, it's time to get real pushy -- and don't let off until the problem is resolved. Of course, if you'd rather just complain, that's your choice, but the problem CAN be resolved.
Your points are very true.
Aceeg should either have his car repaired to his satisfaction (providing its reasonable), lemon law the car if it qualifies providing the dealership is not willing to do anything further. Hope it works out for him either way.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:33 PM

I think I'm done. I love the cars looks performance etc but after a 2nd car it can't be coincidence that both cars fixed for the roof at least 4x each still has creaks, pops, or rattles.
I don't want to deal with numerous phone calls and emails to Jag Na anymore. I appreciate that Jag NA replaced the car "not the dealer" The dealer had nothing to do with the replacement. I met a Jaguar NA manager at the dealer in person, so for me to go thru that all again I just don't have the time or Patience. Believe me I don't want to get rid of it but I had enough.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member

Have you consulted with a Lemon Law Attorney? Might be worth a shot to get your money back.

Quick Reply: Should I get rid of my 2011 xj for Roof creaks ?