XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

software upgraded

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 05:29 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by HouTexJag
Update. They have now had my car for a week and a half. They now tell me that after getting the audio control module back from being programmed in New Jersey, they have determined that I need a new amplifier which they have to order! I asked them to take one out of a car in their stock, but they say that each amplifier is programmed for a specific car--I find that hard to believe. I really don't think they have a clue. At least they agreed to take me out of the Cadillac loaner car they gave me and put me in an XJ, but this is still a real pain. I just want my car back.
Update. My dealer called late this afternoon and said that they got the amplifier in and installed it and I should be able to pick up the car tomorrow. Fingers crossed that everything works after the software upgrade, the roof popping noise is gone, and there are no new dings or marks anywhere.

As a side note, the brand new XJ (high 7,000's VIN with 44 miles on the clock) they gave me to drive last Friday has the dreaded roof popping noise, the sun shades and sun roof do not work, and the backup camera only intermittantly works. They are planning on using this car as a demonstrator when I return it--I suggested to them that they might want to get everything fixed first!

Old 11-15-2010, 10:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just noticed that when i hit voice activation and say phone it says english uk at the bottom.
How do I change to US ?

Old 11-15-2010, 11:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jcamp
just noticed that when i hit voice activation and say phone it says english uk at the bottom.
How do I change to US ?
On the touch screen, System Settings - Language
I think it can also be changed using the right side steering wheel menu button, but it is quicker to just use the touch screen.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks it worked, not on the steering wheel control but the touchscreen.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:16 PM

Update. My dealer called late this afternoon and said that they got the amplifier in and installed it and I should be able to pick up the car tomorrow. Fingers crossed that everything works after the software upgrade, the roof popping noise is gone, and there are no new dings or marks anywhere.

As a side note, the brand new XJ (high 7,000's VIN with 44 miles on the clock) they gave me to drive last Friday has the dreaded roof popping noise, the sun shades and sun roof do not work, and the backup camera only intermittantly works. They are planning on using this car as a demonstrator when I return it--I suggested to them that they might want to get everything fixed first!
Update. Just picked up the car yesterday--it was at the dealer for 2 1/2 weeks! After they installed the new amplifier, they could not get the front sunshade to close properly--it would close and then reverse itself and reopen about an inch. They thought they would have to order a new motor, but finally figured out that they had just installed some clips reversed in front of the shade--said that they were mismarked "left" and "right" by Jaguar. Then they discovered that the battery needed to be replaced.

Here is the good news. The roof popping noise is gone (halleluja!). The new software, including the voice control, seems to be working fine (all of my CD downloads, phone bluetooth pairing, and phonebook were deleted, but no big deal to redo). No dings or marks on the car and all of the trim was reinstalled correctly with no gaps anywhere. They gave me a new owner's manual with the voice control instructions included.

Now maybe I can fully enjoy this car!

Old 11-24-2010, 11:07 AM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Bad luck or technicians qualifications lacking?

Hi,
it begs the question though. Clips installed reversed in sunroof shade and than stating "Jaguar marked them wrong"?. Mmhhh.... Or simply they made a mistake? May be they made some other mistakes, too while doing software and main unit upgrades?

I just know that my car had ALL the updates done in ONE day. They did the sunroof bulleting stuff AND the software upgrade. In addition I ask a lot of tech question as I am a "techie" and I found that the technicians at my dealer are EXTREMELY knowledgable about the car, especially considering that it is a brand new model.

Or....it is simply one of those things where, well, it's just jinx'd for a while. Must have been dissapointing. Hope you can get to enjoy your car now. Good Luck.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by gears
Hi,
it begs the question though. Clips installed reversed in sunroof shade and than stating "Jaguar marked them wrong"?. Mmhhh.... Or simply they made a mistake? May be they made some other mistakes, too while doing software and main unit upgrades?

I just know that my car had ALL the updates done in ONE day. They did the sunroof bulleting stuff AND the software upgrade. In addition I ask a lot of tech question as I am a "techie" and I found that the technicians at my dealer are EXTREMELY knowledgable about the car, especially considering that it is a brand new model.

Or....it is simply one of those things where, well, it's just jinx'd for a while. Must have been dissapointing. Hope you can get to enjoy your car now. Good Luck.
Yeah, I'm suspect of this too. Mine does have a very low VIN, so there was more to do on it, but 2 1/2 weeks?! My dealer only has 1 tech that has gone to Jaguar school to be certified on the new XJ, so that causes some delays as well since he also has to upgrade all of the new cars they get in before delivery.

Alls well that end well, I guess.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Update. Just picked up the car yesterday--it was at the dealer for 2 1/2 weeks! After they installed the new amplifier, they could not get the front sunshade to close properly--it would close and then reverse itself and reopen about an inch. They thought they would have to order a new motor, but finally figured out that they had just installed some clips reversed in front of the shade--said that they were mismarked "left" and "right" by Jaguar. Then they discovered that the battery needed to be replaced.

Here is the good news. The roof popping noise is gone (halleluja!). The new software, including the voice control, seems to be working fine (all of my CD downloads, phone bluetooth pairing, and phonebook were deleted, but no big deal to redo). No dings or marks on the car and all of the trim was reinstalled correctly with no gaps anywhere. They gave me a new owner's manual with the voice control instructions included.

Now maybe I can fully enjoy this car!
I'm happy for you. My car has been trouble free for a while now and I know the feeling.....

Old 12-01-2010, 11:39 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am late to this discussion. I have an XF Premium and my Blackberry works well, yes there are dropped calls, but that can happen anywhere. The primary reason for any update would be that all of the stations on my sat radio disappear from time to time and I have to reset them.

Here is my question: When I bring my car in for service will they "automatically" do a software update or do I have to ask? I understand from this thread that all settings will be wiped out when the update is done? Really! Thanks.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it is done when you bring your car in, they should check for TSBs on your car and fix them without being prompted.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by chairman25
I am late to this discussion. I have an XF Premium and my Blackberry works well, yes there are dropped calls, but that can happen anywhere. The primary reason for any update would be that all of the stations on my sat radio disappear from time to time and I have to reset them.

Here is my question: When I bring my car in for service will they "automatically" do a software update or do I have to ask? I understand from this thread that all settings will be wiped out when the update is done? Really! Thanks.
The software updates that we are discussing in this thread specifically relate to the new XJ model--we were told about these when we bought our cars because some of the features (like voice commands) were not yet operational and Jaguar expected to have a software update in the 4th quarter of 2010 to fix these. I don't know if there are any announced software updates for the XF model.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:18 PM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Only one XJ technician

You mean to tell me that they only have one guy who works on the New XJ. That's BS. There are guys that work, where I work that didn't go to school for the new XJ, but still work on them. I've been to training on the new XJ but.... I do help the others out with the new XJ, but that's doesn't make me an expert on the new XJ. This dealer should invest in sending some other techs to "Training" for the new product.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys are all giving me some concern. Yesterday I had the dealer start prepping an XF Supercharged. Today, I stopped in and switched to an XJ. Curiously, the demo I took out had a roof popping issue. Wasn't aware until now that this is a design issue ! And, was not aware of all the software bugs ! Anything else I should know about before I hand over the check ?

Old 12-02-2010, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by jaglover922
You mean to tell me that they only have one guy who works on the New XJ. That's BS. There are guys that work, where I work that didn't go to school for the new XJ, but still work on them. I've been to training on the new XJ but.... I do help the others out with the new XJ, but that's doesn't make me an expert on the new XJ. This dealer should invest in sending some other techs to "Training" for the new product.
I don't know if there is only one tech at my dealer that they let work on the new XJ's, but I was told that they only have one guy that knows about the software upgrades and other fixes that Jaguar is currently addressing that are unique to this model. I agree, they should have more than one even for doing this.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Ramp
You guys are all giving me some concern. Yesterday I had the dealer start prepping an XF Supercharged. Today, I stopped in and switched to an XJ. Curiously, the demo I took out had a roof popping issue. Wasn't aware until now that this is a design issue ! And, was not aware of all the software bugs ! Anything else I should know about before I hand over the check ?
It was a bit of a hassle to get to this point, but now that the roof is not popping and the software all works, I don't have any complaints and am super pleased with this car. I understand that all of the cars now being delivered to the dealers have had the fixes done at the factory, which should make the buying experience a lot more pleasant. However, all of the cars that are currently in dealer inventory need to be worked on before delivery, so you will be at the mercy of the competance of your dealer!

Old 12-02-2010, 06:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I'm picking the new XJ up on Saturday. Asked the dealer about the software and roof issue. He advised that the dealer finished resolving the issues on all their customer and inventory cars. He believes the one I bought was an October 2010 delivery and was resolved at the factory. Any way to know ? Is there a Vin sequence ? TIA

Old 12-02-2010, 07:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramp
So I'm picking the new XJ up on Saturday. Asked the dealer about the software and roof issue. He advised that the dealer finished resolving the issues on all their customer and inventory cars. He believes the one I bought was an October 2010 delivery and was resolved at the factory. Any way to know ? Is there a Vin sequence ? TIA
I got like 10800 range and that was done at the factory. Factory done cars just started arriving at the dealers a couple of weeks ago I think.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:24 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

I don't know if there is only one tech at my dealer that they let work on the new XJ's, but I was told that they only have one guy that knows about the software upgrades and other fixes that Jaguar is currently addressing that are unique to this model. I agree, they should have more than one even for doing this.
which dealer? North, central or southwest?

Old 12-02-2010, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by chairman25

no you have to tell them, We cannot UPSELL warranty unless safty related. And yes theres a TSB on Sat loss of presets. But I can tell you that while most of the time this works fine, but sometimes we have to replace the sat unit. MAybe 1 out of 5

Old 12-02-2010, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by viperz06
I think it is done when you bring your car in, they should check for TSBs on your car and fix them without being prompted.
false false false. If you had any idea of the number of tsb's issued....your car would never leave for months!!! There would be such a back log of work, cars would sit forever... TSB's apply when a problem is found to exist and when stated by the customer as a concern. It Jaguar communication on what has been found to be a problem and what is the corrective(at this time) action to take as a tech to fix it.. And you cant go in and say I want these TSB's done I found online. It has to be broken. Like the issue above on SAT loss of memory presets, theres a TSB for that customer concern, but you have to have the problem and bring it to your advisors attention on checkin. There are many many cars that never ever have the problems that are addressed in a TSB that pertains to that VIN. ONLY RECALLS are mandatory to be done and are to be check through Jaguar when a car is brought in for service.
We as techs try to drive TSB's by sending EPQR(early product quality reports) these go straight to Jaguar engineering. Many times I send in an issue I have to bring it to their attension. If they start seeing a pattern or frequency of reports . They work on solutions and issue TSB's Or soemtimes I find problems and their solutions and send this in to share what works to resolve problems. Its all about communication and cooperation to get problems fixed. Many issues on todays cars are software related and are fixed with reflashes and new programming(enhancement for the 2011 XJ) We as techs dont write software, but we can communicate what issues we're having with cars. And engineering then works to identify the cause and then the solution and then issue there recommendation in a TSB

The following users liked this post:
viperz06 (12-03-2010)

Quick Reply: software upgraded