XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

SOLD after 6 months of ownership

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 11:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I should clarify that I don't do that much at home, oil changes, transfer case, rear diff, brakes. I also sell my cars with about 40,000km so never had to do trans. That being said I do all my families cars Infiniti, Honda, Kia, Hyundai with double dump & fill for the trans.
I have never done the trans on my luxury cars, but again, going to the dealer to reset service light, is irritating. My windshield was heated with rain sensor and the quote with my VIN that the dealer gave me was $2500 glass, $500 labor.

I don't think my new car will be much cheaper to maintain, but I did phone to see how much for a new windshield and it is $400 with labor : )

Old 06-11-2017, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Calgary XJL
...looking at a Porsche Panamera....
Wait till you see how much trouble and how much $ they want to replace the engine air filter. Requires the removal of the front bumper fascia. Many components are behind fender panels and other hard to remove pieces. Just for grins look at the motor cooling system and imagine trying to work on it. Nice car though

Old 06-11-2017, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by mleskovar
Wait till you see how much trouble and how much $ they want to replace the engine air filter. Requires the removal of the front bumper fascia. Many components are behind fender panels and other hard to remove pieces. Just for grins look at the motor cooling system and imagine trying to work on it. Nice car though
Just for grins, I went and looked at it. 4 screws each side, 3 minutes each side. Would have been faster if I used my drill driver though.

I was concerned about the 8 spark plugs and Audi quoted me 30 minutes labor. Parts were expensive at $280 for the plugs, but I can buy them online and spend 30 minutes myself replacing them at recommended 55,000km interval.

Old 06-11-2017, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Calgary XJL
Just for grins, I went and looked at it. 4 screws each side, ...
I was referring to the Panamera....$800 to replace air filter here by the the dealer.

The following users liked this post:
Calgary XJL (06-11-2017)
Old 06-11-2017, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by mleskovar
I was referring to the Panamera....$800 to replace air filter here by the the dealer.

Sorry misunderstood and the Panamera was a US car, which don't hold their resale value in Canada so I passed on that one. Now that you say that I will never consider it.

All cars require maintenance obviously but I hate the inconvenience, mark up they put on parts and the huge labor rates for simple jobs like tire rotations, brakes, oil changes. There should be a different rate than the "Red Seal" mechanic who is rebuilding your engine?

Old 06-11-2017, 08:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I just sold it with 7,200km on it for exactly 50% of new SRP in 2015
Eating depreciation on a new car would count for a lot of windshields, even at 2K a pop.

Mikey (06-11-2017)
Old 06-11-2017, 09:59 PM
Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

You seem to be an impulsive buyer whose tastes run toward new, highly complex, exotic Euro luxury sedans. You buy one, then look for weaknesses that validate your replacing it at a big loss. Why change your own oil? Obviously you aren't interested in saving money. I get the feeling you're a contrarian who will never be satisfied.

Calgary is the last place on earth you would own a Jaguar. Its arrow-straight roads and brutal winters, complete with salty, icy roads, make for a driving environment totally unsuitable to an XJ.

I'm a transplanted a Canadian living in the San Francisco Bay Area, the most popular place for Jaguars in the whole country. I'm on my third XJR, a 2001 model with 148k miles. It's dead-nuts reliable and its premium Emerald mica paint and ivory Connolly leather have held up magnificently.

I'm interested in an off-lease new-generation model XJL and it's a buyer's market, sales of this model having been beyond dismal. To most Americans, who buy cars for status, only something from Germany will impress the neighbors. Thanks to guys like you (and them), guys like me can drive fantastic bargains.

Because I get my Jags serviced at a non-dealer Jaguar-only shop, maintenance costs are not a headache. But then, my X-308 generation XJ rivaled Lexus in JD Power owner satisfaction surveys. Before buying a newer-generation XJ I'm going to check their reliability, just to be sure. I see no reason why it would have declined, seeing as Tata-owned Jaguar seems to be very well run.

Old 06-11-2017, 11:42 PM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

OP -

You should have kept the Jaguar (for nice days) and simply got a Subaru (that's what I did). The subby can beat any car in bad weather and it's cheap to maintain. Case closed.

Last edited by michaelodonnell123; 06-11-2017 at 11:53 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:05 AM

I appreciate your uninformed comments, but I have never bought a new car in my life and I made $1,000 selling the Jag after almost 7 months, and my car before that was an A6 which I kept for 18 months and sold at a $500 profit. My new RS5 I bought from my investment banker neighbor and if I sold it today can make between $1 - $5K, but I might drive it for the summer and sell it in the fall at break even.
I do have a good winter beater SUV.
Sorry if you don't like facts, like Jaguar quoted me $3K to replace the windshield, $1K for a battery, and the fact that Jaguar engineers purposely make it impossible to reset the service warning light if you are smart enough to be able to change your own oil which I do on all 5 of my vehicles that I service (mine X 2, wife's, 2 sons).
Cheers mate

Old 06-13-2017, 08:39 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Sounds like you just wanted to hate the car and were able to find a way.

SinF (06-14-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 09:19 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

BMWs and Audis are good cars no argument there but I like to have something different and unique. BMWs are a dime a dozen around here seems like 1 in 3 cars. Audis are not quite as common but when I look at one I just see a "car" like a Hyundai or Honda accord. Nothing really sets them apart just run of the mill car which is fine if you are looking to just blend in which I assume you do. Nothing wrong with a "sleeper".

retriever-007 (08-26-2017)
Old 06-15-2017, 12:38 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I feel his pain.

I have a 2013 Jaguar XJ with about 68000 miles on it and went to the dealership to get an oil change. It cost me about $200 for the oil change. I also got another key fob programmed wish cost an extra $150 for the programming. I bought the key fob brand new off of eBay for $75.

When I came to pick up the car they had estimates for other problems the Jaguar seemingly had. Supposedly my brake pads were super thin almost bare metal and needed to be replaced all of them the cost for all 4 brake pads replaced $1,800.

Then I needed a cabin air filter replace that quoted as $180.

Then there was an injector tune-up that also was quoted for $250.

Lastly my tires had 7 32 of an inch tread depth on all fours and they suggested that I replace all 4 tires. Cost to replace all 4 tires installed was $1,250

All in all my quote came up to about $4000, for just going in for an oil change.

The best part is my car is OUT OF WARRANTY.

Think I'm going to change the brake pads myself, and buy my tires from TireRack. I will have them install my tires, as I want the Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus, and I like that they put Nitrogen in the tire.

But yes, I feel his pain.

Calgary XJL (11-09-2019)
Old 06-15-2017, 07:52 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

I don't follow your comparison to the OP's case. He hated the car and for some nit picking reasons and came here to tell us so.

You went to a dealer who tried to to upsell you on some unnecessary items. Just about all dealers do that today, irrespective of brand.

What pain did you share?

Old 06-15-2017, 08:30 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
I don't follow your comparison to the OP's case. He hated the car and for some nit picking reasons and came here to tell us so.

You went to a dealer who tried to to upsell you on some unnecessary items. Just about all dealers do that today, irrespective of brand.

What pain did you share?
Mikey I didn't see any unnecessary items there. Probably didn't mention the inside of the tires may only be 2/32nds or less from not keeping the car aligned. Injection flush or decarb service. funny I do that on mine and Especially when I buy a car from someone else along with other stuff..

Old 06-15-2017, 09:06 AM
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

I must say the xj is the prettiest and has far more presence than the other cars pictured in this thread....by a large margin!

sorry to see you sell

Old 06-15-2017, 09:17 AM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

XJ MSRP is what 100K?

I am not surprised by 2K quote for windshield replacement. It seems normal.

People often buy a used car and think about repairs in terms of cost of the repair vs what they paid for the car
In reality, repair costs should be compared to the price of the car when new.

Old 06-24-2017, 12:24 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

People, buy what you want. I change cars every 2-3 years, I buy my luxury cars pre owned, never made a dime on any of them when I sell. I don't care. I drive what I like. I own a repair shop that works on MB and BMW. I will never buy a BMW but would not hesitate at all to recommend MB products. I tell my customers, all cars have their issues, buy what makes you happy. Luck is the most important thing to have during car ownership. It is obvious CalgaryXJL did not enjoy his time with his car, good luck to him. Resetting the service message on these cars is not difficult if you have the right scanner, same with Porsche. Basically most luxury car owners don't do their own work, it is almost not worth it financially but to each their own.

Old 06-24-2017, 06:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by alvin18
People, buy what you want. I change cars every 2-3 years, I buy my luxury cars pre owned, never made a dime on any of them when I sell. I don't care. I drive what I like. I own a repair shop that works on MB and BMW. I will never buy a BMW but would not hesitate at all to recommend MB products. I tell my customers, all cars have their issues, buy what makes you happy. Luck is the most important thing to have during car ownership. It is obvious CalgaryXJL did not enjoy his time with his car, good luck to him. Resetting the service message on these cars is not difficult if you have the right scanner, same with Porsche. Basically most luxury car owners don't do their own work, it is almost not worth it financially but to each their own.

^^^^
This!!

Old 07-03-2017, 10:33 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure about Jag req's for "topside" oil change. I would suggest: Fully warmed engine and oil. Level surface. Allow 15 mins rest for ALL oil to drain into sump, (including oil filter removed). Suction oil into a measured volume to ensure full capacity is sucked out. I would "hope" Jag recommends Castrol 0W-40 Euro Formula Full Syn. GREAT oil !!!

Old 08-23-2017, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,767 Posts

No what Jaguar recommends was listed up thread and it's not 0W-40 and it's not Euro Formula?

It has to meet Ford WSS-M2C925A does that oil?