XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

SOLD after 6 months of ownership

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 01:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOLD after 6 months of ownership

I consider myself a "car guy" and like to DYI what I can. My past cars included 2009 335xi sedan, hated the run flats (too expensive and unrepairable); then 2011 E550 4-Matic, great car but boring; 2014 Audi A6 3.0L every option including night vision & heads up, loved the car but wanted the sexier A7; then came across this 2015 XJL with 5,900kms.

I just sold it with 7,200km on it for exactly 50% of new SRP in 2015. Almost every option including IP package, heated windshield, 20" wheels, power rear side shades. Mint as new with most of car protected in 3M, and painted custom calipers.

The car ran perfectly but the future of keeping this car scared me. I am in Canada, and we have snow which means my city puts down gravel on the roads, which means everyone eventually gets stone chips, which leads to cracks and need to replace the windshield.

Out of curiosity I contacted a couple of windshield replacement companies who told me that they can only get this from Jaguar and needed the VIN. I called my Jag dealer who quoted me $2,500 for the windshield and $500 labor to install. I then asked how much for that crazy looking battery in the trunk and was told it is $1,200 plus install!!!

I like to change my own fluids more than scheduled, then found out that I either had to pay the dealer to reset the service indicator or buy a tool myself

to reset it. I have never heard of this before, but maybe other cars have that dumb system as well, but none of my previous vehicles did. Simply follow the procedures online, push some buttons and they are reset.

I also don't like that the front and back tires are different sizes so you can't rotate your tires from front to back, like all my other cars.

I know that this is a Jag forum, and you will explain to me this is what happens when I buy an expensive luxury car, but I think it is ridiculous. I can buy my kids a good used car for the price of the XJL's windshield & battery. Then don't get me started about the nasty depreciation of these cars, it's insane as well.

I loved my Audi and will now look for an A7 or S6/7, where life is less stressful for me : )

Happy driving!!!

Old 05-19-2017, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 413 Posts

Sorry to see you go, but to each his own. As for your windshield, just had mine replaced due to being broken by kicked up detached tire tread. Mine is not the heated type and sells for @ $520.00 while the heated version sells for $1550.00. As for replacement costs to me, was totally covered by insurance. but I know the labor was @ $180.00. As for the battery they run @ $250.00 here. Think your dealer is way out of line on some of their prices. As for Audi, I was invited to an Audi Sport Event last Friday and was able to drive the RS7. Very nice car, but prefer my XJ SuperSport, also, the Audi people told me that the 7 series model is due for renewal in 2019.

The following users liked this post:
Calgary XJL (06-13-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 02:51 PM

I phoned the dealer and in my city of 1.2M, 1 dealer and those were the quotes. I know with some connections I can get it slightly cheaper but maybe still $2,000. These prices are Canadian dollars so converted to US deduct 35%.
Because every vehicle in my city gets their windshield cracked eventually private insurance won't cover windshields, unless you pay lots more for your insurance and then it is still $1,000 deductible and a claim on your insurance record, so no one does that. They just drive around with a broken windshield until they are going to sell their vehicle...

Old 05-19-2017, 03:57 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Good grief...

Old 05-20-2017, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,145 Likes on 3,385 Posts

Calgary XJL,

Just wondering what else you worry about ...

Have you seen what it costs to replace the windshield and stop-start battery system on a new Audi?

Stuart

Old 05-20-2017, 10:25 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S

Have you seen what it costs to replace the windshield and stop-start battery system on a new Audi?
+1, and you'll still need to pay the dealer to reset the service indicator or buy a tool yourself.

Old 05-20-2017, 05:58 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

You need a Lexus LS, not a Jag.

British cars are like that. I don't think British engineering is very bright when it comes to electrical systems. The British unnecessarily complicate electrical things, Germans over-engineer everything and the Japanese just do it right when it comes to electric/electronics.

The following 2 users liked this post by Maybe_XJ:
Calgary XJL (05-26-2017), ronbros (05-27-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 06:14 PM

Jag electrical/electronics is based primarily on US Ford design .

Old 05-20-2017, 10:00 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
Jag electrical/electronics is based primarily on US Ford design .
Well that pretty much explains everything.

Old 05-21-2017, 07:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by Maybe_XJ
Well that pretty much explains everything.

It does indeed.............it means that everything works pretty well. A far cry from the archaic Lucas electronics days!!

The only thing that really bothered me, about our former 2012 XJ-L, and now our current 2016, is that it's not easy to change the oil at home (or the transmission fluid and filter, either). I'm used to doing all of my own maintenance. On the other hand, Jaguar specifies a Castrol motor oil that isn't readily available, and the dealer charges, in reality, only about $20-25 to do the oil change, above the cost of the oil itself, so it really isn't worth the effort. I do, however, perform my own oil changes on our '09 XF.

Old 05-21-2017, 12:29 PM
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Sad to see you go, I had the battery changed here in the UK for £90, which is about $150?

Old 05-24-2017, 08:41 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I looked at the oil change and Jaguar formulated an oil with Castrol (another British company) to exclusively produce and sell the oil for the Jaguar. Further, it is not generally available to the public, but it is out there and around $10/quart. Also, it has UV dye in the oil so that the dealer can tell if you are using the "correct" oil or not. If not, they can void your warranty.

As far as changing it, it could not be easier. It is all done from the top with a simple vacuum evacuation tank ($15 on Amazon) to suck out the oil. The filter is also right on top readily available.

Jaguar charged me $150 for the oil change, which breaks down to $30 for labor. So really it is not out of line. The fact that you have to buy their specific oil is the dubious part. The oil changes are rated for 15k miles however.

Rotating tires never bothered me as I don't think you get significantly longer life from doing this. I have never done it on any of my cars.

Battery just get a diehard and replace yourself.

These cars are a bit scary when they are out of warranty. Everything is very expensive. The original/first owners usually dump these cars while they are still within the warranty period. They take the hit and the secondary market gets a lot of car for 1/2 price. I think these cars drop more than any other on the market. The XF is listed in a top 10 list somewhere for the biggest price drop. When I was looking, a dealer offered me a 2015 (new) XF with a $62k sticker for $44k.

Once they have that initial drop though, they seem to hold their value pretty well. Get one with 2 years warranty left and sell it once the warranty ends.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by JagGate
I think these cars drop more than any other on the market. The XF is listed in a top 10 list somewhere for the biggest price drop.
I was reading an article the other day on this specific topic. Jag is far from being the worst for price drop.

Old 05-24-2017, 06:39 PM

XF - #6 on the list for percent drop but #1 for net loss with close to $20k

https://www.forbes.com/pictures/ehmk.../#543069026de9

Old 05-25-2017, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by JagGate
..........As far as changing it, it could not be easier. It is all done from the top with a simple vacuum evacuation tank ($15 on Amazon) to suck out the oil. The filter is also right on top readily available.

Battery just get a diehard and replace yourself. (I agree)

I have a "suction tool" that I purchased at the marine supply store, that's used to suck the oil out of inboard engines, so I'm familiar with the process. The only thing that concerns me, is ensuring that I get all the old oil out. And since these cars don't have "dipsticks", there is the possibility of overfilling the crankcase, if the vacuum tool doesn't work effectively.

But, as I previously mentioned, for the $20-25 in labor, that my selling dealer charger, it really isn't worth the effort, especially considering that you have to use the "spec"oil......

Old 05-25-2017, 06:56 PM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Originally Posted by Calgary XJL
I consider myself a "car guy" and like to DYI what I can. .....
You appear to have joined the forum specifically to sell this vehicle (2 out of your 4 Posts).

If you'd put a similar effort into research before buying that you have into composing this lengthy post, you would have concluded that Jaguar is not for you and saved yourself considerable time, inconvenience and disappointment.

Graham

Old 05-26-2017, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I have a "suction tool" that I purchased at the marine supply store, that's used to suck the oil out of inboard engines, so I'm familiar with the process. The only thing that concerns me, is ensuring that I get all the old oil out. And since these cars don't have "dipsticks", there is the possibility of overfilling the crankcase, if the vacuum tool doesn't work effectively.

But, as I previously mentioned, for the $20-25 in labor, that my selling dealer charger, it really isn't worth the effort, especially considering that you have to use the "spec"oil......
You keep the vacuum on until nothing comes out. The tube you attach to goes to the bottom of the oil pan. This method is pretty simple and fool-proof. Like all oil changes, it isn't necessary to get every drop of oil out.

They do have a dipstick in the dash (electronic). It is very accurate.

ronbros (05-27-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 04:08 PM

Yes, I was wrong in not doing enough research before buying my Portfolio. I guess I never thought in my wildest dreams a windshield had to come from Jaguar as all glass replacement companies told me they can't get other than from Jaguar.

While my friends talk about being upset that they pay $500 for a new windshield, I was upset my Mercedes E550 was $900, but when I phoned my dealer with my VIN and he said that it is $2500 part & $500 install (Canadian $).

I always do my own fluid changes (trans, diff, transfer, oil) and on my BMW 335xi, 2 X Mercedes E-Class, Audi A6, easily can reset my service warning. I use the suction MityVac I have and buy all the fluids and parts from my dealer so not to void warranty. Engineers that designed these cars to force a customer to bring it inconveniently to a dealer every oil change so they can push a button and reset my service warning and charge me $400 is a joke.

I understand all cars depreciate but I have never experienced the drop as I did on this car; but it is also the biggest most expensive car I owned so understand luxury full size sedans like the 7 Series, S-Class, A8, get slammed hard.

I am not upset and looking at a Porsche Panamera and likely will be upset about the cost of repairs again, but don't think the depreciation from I see for them online for sale will be as extreme

Good cruising!

Had 2 different E-Class

Old 05-27-2017, 10:33 AM

Yes, I was wrong in not doing enough research before buying my Portfolio. I guess I never thought in my wildest dreams a windshield had to come from Jaguar as all glass replacement companies told me they can't get other than from Jaguar.

I also never thought it would cost $2,000 (Canadian $), or the battery over a $1,000. Not bitter, just telling you my opinion. It is a great car.

Lastly I my last few cars have been BMW 335xi, 2 X Mercedes E-Class, then a 2014 Audi A6 3.0L loaded , heads up, night vision, S-Line and on every car did all my own servicing.

I buy the parts from the dealer so not to void the warranty and have a MityVac fluid extractor. Never have I then had to take my vehicles to the dealer to get my service light reset for $100. That was the finally straw for me, that the engineers purposely force you to buy the special tool or bring it to the dealer. Honestly that is too much for me to understand.

Happy motoring...

Attached Thumbnails SOLD after 6 months of ownership-20161203_161346.jpg  
Old 06-11-2017, 01:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am amazed you can do so much on your own. I own a repair shop specializing in MB and BMW. It is almost next to impossible to work on luxury cars at home. How do you fill the transmission? We have special tools to do but to do it at home, crazy!
I just replaced my windshield on my XJL last week, my cost is still $700 without labor. I just went through my insurance, and you are correct, factory glass only. Sometimes it is just the way it is. I also have a 2014 E350 and a 2012 Cadillac Escalade ESV. I enjoy luxury cars and don't mind paying for upkeep, not really that much than owning a Japanese counterpart. I get so much compliments and looks when I drive my Jag!

retriever-007 (08-26-2017)