XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Switching It Up

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 01:05 AM
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Switching It Up

My lease on our 2015 XF Portfolio is up in six months. We have loved this car from the very beginning, but are contemplating turning it in and stepping up to an XJ. A couple of things naturally come to mind in making this decision...

1. Is stepping up worth the extra investment?
2. What is the difference(s) between the XJ and the XJL?

I understand theres a rear legroom difference of 4" or so, between the XF and the XJ, but what is the actual difference between the XJ and the XJL?

Also, I will be looking for the XJ or XJL in the Portfolio model with the 3.0 Supercharged motor. I love the 3.0 in the XF.

Any input and additional info I should consider is welcome. Thanks.

Old 01-26-2018, 06:00 AM
Received 170 Likes on 160 Posts

Hello Firecat17,
To me, it was worth it because I liked the interior better. I came from the aerospace industry so the XJ air outlets sealed the deal.
The XJ has a 5" shorter wheel base than the XJL and I wanted the XJ but I couldn't find one in the colors I wanted so I got an XJL
The XJ can probably get into parking spots easier but the XJL isn't that bad either.
The extra five inches is put in between the front and rear seats.so you could probably sleep on the floor in front of the rear seats.
When I was young I would usually sleep on the floor and let my Brother sleep on the back bench seat on long trips. With this car we could probably do it again if he was still with us.
I would expect the XJL is heavier and therefore may lose 1MPG or so.
I prefer the 5.0L supercharged because pump gas can be cheaper than diesel and burns cleaner. Also I love the power and torque of the V8.
Most people look for one with the illumination package unless they cancel that option one day.

Old 01-26-2018, 08:47 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Are you looking at a new XJ? I also have the XJL and love the extra room in the rear seats as I put the drivers seat all the way back and even with that someone behind me has lots of room. XJL also has rear seat vanity mirrors. I have never actually driven an XJ so I can't tell you any driving differences. I did drive and almost bought an XF though. It was either a new XF or used XJL and I think I made the right choice! I average around 23mpg and never have any parking issues. For sure get the interior illumination package.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:00 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Firecat, you may want to do some looking around, but the XJ is not offered with a lot of the niceties (rear entertainment system for example) that the XJL is. It used to be that the XJL was offered with 4 zone climate control and the rear seats could be optioned out with airline trays and heated seats (I believe they could recline too). Not all XJLs had all these features, but if you have people in the rear seats a lot, this might be something worthwhile to look into and would make the XJL a much more worthwhile car over the XJ.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:34 AM
Received 170 Likes on 105 Posts

My wife had a 2013 XF 3.0 and we now have a 2015 XJL 3.0 AWD and in my opinion the XJ rides better and handles better with a nicer interior. You do not pay a weight penalty with the XJ as it is an aluminum car and has a better tire and wheel package. The interior is also a step up. The XF was a great car but you just definitely get a better package with the XJL, as you should, being as it and the F sports car are Jaguar's top of the line cars.

Old 01-26-2018, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
Firecat, you may want to do some looking around, but the XJ is not offered with a lot of the niceties (rear entertainment system for example) that the XJL is. It used to be that the XJL was offered with 4 zone climate control and the rear seats could be optioned out with airline trays and heated seats (I believe they could recline too). Not all XJLs had all these features, but if you have people in the rear seats a lot, this might be something worthwhile to look into and would make the XJL a much more worthwhile car over the XJ.
My SWB XJ doesn't have the trays, but it does have the 4 zone ac and cooled/heated rear seats.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 219 Posts

I drove numerous XJ's and XJL's before making a decision. Differences in handling characteristics are minimal, if not absent between the two lengths. Basically it boils down to whether you ever have passengers in the rear seat or not. If you do, go with the XJL - it makes all the difference in the world. If you like the 3.0 in your XF, I see no reason you wouldn't be happy with one in an XJ or XJL. I ended up with a 5.0 Supercharged but it is mostly an untapped resource; I would have been just as happy with the 3.0. My particular car simply had every option and color choice I wanted, inside and out; the engine was irrelevant to me.

Dwayne

Old 01-28-2018, 12:14 AM

Thank you for everyone's input. We have decided to go with the XJL. Now comes the task of finding the car we will love for a long time to come. When that time comes, sooner than later I'm sure, I'll post some photos.

Another question I've come up with is in regards to the steering wheel. What do you guys think of the wood/leather combination wheel, vs. the all leather wheel? I like the looks of the wood, but am not sure of the feel, particularly on long drives.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Firecat17; 01-28-2018 at 12:20 AM.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Firecat17
Thank you for everyone's input. We have decided to go with the XJL. Now comes the task of finding the car we will love for a long time to come. When that time comes, sooner than later I'm sure, I'll post some photos.

Another question I've come up with is in regards to the steering wheel. What do you guys think of the wood/leather combination wheel, vs. the all leather wheel? I like the looks of the wood, but am not sure of the feel, particularly on long drives.

Thanks again.
Mine has the wood and I love it. In fact, that was one of the "deal breaker" options that I was intent on having. I guess everyone is different, but the wood feels much better to my hands than the leather.

Dwayne

Old 01-28-2018, 07:08 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I love the feel of our all leather wheel... my hunch is you can’t go wrong with either.

Old 01-28-2018, 08:14 AM

I have the wood steering wheel. It looks great and feels pretty good.

If you squeeze the wheel you can easily feel where the wood ends though. For some that would probably be annoying.

To me learning the electronics is annoying. The other day I got lost in the menu's trying to figure out how to turn down the heat.

The sun was finally shining again and I was warm. I could easily find the off button so I just used that and gave up on adjusting the heat.

It's got to be in there somewhere but finding it while trying to stay between the ditches makes it interesting.

Old 01-28-2018, 10:50 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I love the wood wheel and would not have anything else. I barely touch the wheel though when I am driving usually just 3 fingers in my lap. It is an option btw.

The heat is just a knob for the 14. Maybe the 12 is different.

The following users liked this post:
rhomanski (01-28-2018)
Old 01-28-2018, 12:03 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Firecat17,
With a handle like that, I see a 5.0L SC in your future. Just be patient and hold out for the one that will fit all of your wants.

Old 01-28-2018, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by JagGate
The heat is just a knob for the 14. Maybe the 12 is different.
I'm not sure, I don't drive much anymore. The two front zones were set different so last time I hit sync and got both sides reading 72F. This last time the sun made that a little warm so I was looking in the menu's. Before I go out next time I'll check the manual. I've been usually learning one thing each time I drive it. Lol.

I've had my other car 4 years now and only learned what I needed too. It's a 2011 and has most of the same stuff but it's domestic so it makes more sense to me.

Reminds me of when we got Airbus planes from PanAm. The manuals were written in French then translated (badly, into English English). Needless to say we were lost for a while.

Old 01-28-2018, 09:13 PM

Fishmagician.... I've got an XKR Portfolio that's the Cats ***! I love it! The XJL will be replacing the Wife's XF Portfolio. I will likely aire on the more conservative side in the power arena. The V6 will be perfect for her and just fine for my needs.