XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Thinking about a 3.0 Supercharged. Your experiences, please

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 08:16 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Thinking about a 3.0 Supercharged. Your experiences, please

For various reasons I'm thinking of moving on my 2008 XKR and getting an XJ. I recently test drove a 2012 model with the NA 5.0 V8 and really liked the ride and performance.

Now I am seeing some 2013 examples available with the 3.0 supercharged engine and the 8-speed ZF. Some research also revealed that the 2013s had some changes to the suspension.

Do you lose much in everyday performance and driveability getting the 3.0SC over the 5.0NA? Also, did the suspension mods make the car too soft or is it still pretty taut with no wallow.

TIA

Old 03-24-2016, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

I went from a 5.0 XJL to a 3.0 XJL and I regret it. I'm a person that loves speed and power...i thought i could live with it, but its been 6 months now and i wish I got the V8. There's just no replacement.

I made the switch because I needed the AWD. the XJ I had gave me a few issues in the snow and I didnt want to worry about it when my wife drives.

do yourself a favor, stay with the V8

Old 03-25-2016, 07:18 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

Compared to my F Type V8S, my XJL with the 3.0 is obviously down on power but the car is not underpowered. The 3.0 and the AWD work well together, the car was incredible in the heavy rain we've had in NorCal this winter. I can't recall a case where I needed more power than it delivers, and pulls well from a stop. As intoxicating as the power is in the V8S, I've never found myself thinking that I wish I had a V8 in the XJ as well as in the F Type.

Old 03-26-2016, 01:33 AM

@swajames

Funny you should mention AWD. I had forgotten that the 2013 V6 had that option. Now I find that a particular car I was looking at has AWD. Thing is, AWD is about as much use as a chocolate fire guard here in Vegas for 99.99% of the time. Besides, I drive my 4x4 SUV if I think the weather is going to get iffy. I don't really want the extra weight and gas mileage penalty of AWD if I can avoid it. Trouble is, the car I am looking at has the perfect colour combo, inside and out. Darned first world problems...

Old 03-26-2016, 02:04 AM

@ caraddict. Do you think the AWD holds the car back due to weight and/or driveline friction? The EPA reckon there is a large MPG penalty for the AWD model, 16/24 for AWD, 18/28 for RWD.

Old 03-26-2016, 05:34 AM
MHT
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Not only do I have the 3.0L V6 Supercharged Engine AWD but I have Intelligent Stop Start. Most people do not care for the stop start feature but as I am not an aggressive type driver, it dose not bother me and plus I have learned how to work around it.
During the warmer months I average 21.9 MPG mostly city but during the winter I notice I was only getting 19.5 MPG. The reason for the difference is in the winter the engine does not go into the stop start feature as nearly as much as it does in the summer or warmer months. I have yet to use the ECO button to turn the stop start feature off.
In that we can get some nasty weather in these parts, I rather appreciate the AWD and with the Intelligent Stop Start, I am getting about the same gas milage that I got with my 2014 Buick LaCrosse P1 V6 304 HP FWD.
For a car this size, I am really surprised at how agile and nimble the car can be when going through turns, especially on round about's and in having to make an avasive move due to an inattentive driver.
I guess it all about how you drive and what you want out of the car. If you are more of an aggressive type drivers who likes to push a car to it's limits the 3.0L supercharge might not be for you, not even to mention Intelligent Stop Start.
This is my first Jag and after 9 months and 4,500 miles, I am still like a kid in a candy store when I get behind the wheel.

Good luck with your decision

Last edited by MHT; 03-26-2016 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-26-2016, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,156 Likes on 3,390 Posts

agentorange,

As my signature indicates, I drive a 2009 4.2L XKR (420HP) and a 2013 5.0L XJ SC SWB (470HP). I love them both and doubt that I'd feel that way about the XJ if it was a 3.0L. The only way for you to know for sure if the 3.0L or 5.0L is right for you is to drive both of them.

I recommend looking at 2013-up XJ models (preferably CPO) because they have (1) the 8-speed transmission, Meridian Surround Sound system, stop-start, and improved suspension. I'm amazed that I get over 16 mpg in city driving in my XJ compared to only 13 in my XKR that has a smaller engine and weighs less. That's the difference between newer, more efficient engine technology (direct injection and stop-start) and better gearing (8-speed vs.6-speed).

Hope this helps.

Stuart

P.S. Are you a Vietnam veteran? If so, you were exposed to Agent Orange and if you have any of several enumerated health conditions, you are presumed to be disabled and, therefore, entitled to tax-free VA disability benefits without having to prove a causal relationship. Google "Agent Orange Registry".

Last edited by Stuart S; 03-26-2016 at 06:22 PM.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:09 PM

@ Stuart S

I suspect my usual commute and the roads here in general are kinder to gas mileage than where you live. I frequently get 20 MPG tootling around the Vegas area. Could just mean I'm a slow poke, of course.

Perhaps I should explain the reasons for wanting an XJ over my XKR. I have tried several times to use my XKR as a true GT for long trips, but the state of many of the roads out here make that a wearing exercise. My XKR came with 20" Sentas and although it rides well for a car with wheels that big, it is simply out of its depth when it comes to several stretches of I-15, I-40, US-93 and I-10, to name but a few. Some sections of those freeways look like they've taken multiple cluster bomb strikes. I swear that parts of I-10 are a large peeling from the surface of the Moon with a center divider and access ramps fitted.

For sure the XJ 3.0 SC is not going to have the same zip as my XKR. I'm resigned to that. Sadly, the 2013 and on 5.0 SC seems to come with 20" wheels as standard. That just isn't going to work for me. The 2012 NA 5.0 uses 19" wheels but the gas mileage is rated poorer than my XKR. Many of my trips take roads that go to considerable altitude, 7000' or more, so I want to stay with forced induction.

As for my handle, it came to me from somebody who may well have been a Vietnam vet. He was commenting on the devastation I brought with my dreaded red pen to technical reports written by some other guys. He described the reports I reviewed as now being covered with Agent Orange. I take it as a compliment.

Old 03-27-2016, 05:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,156 Likes on 3,390 Posts

agentorange,

Your handle is indeed appropriate for an editor who uses a chainsaw instead of a scalpel.

Compared to where I live in north Atlanta, your roads in Las Vegas are as flat as a pancake. The hills in my neighborhood are so steep that when it snows (rarely, thankfully) it's impossible to get out of my street without awd. I'm sure that's why our city mileage differs in our XKRs. Fortunately, my roads are very well maintained and potholes are uncommon and usually repaired promptly. Both my XKR and XJ have 20" wheels and I'm pleased with the ride in both and have never bent a rim.

Given your circumstances, the 3.0L SC appears to be the more rational choice for you.

At this stage of the game, I decided to screw being rational and have fun. The road of life is short, so enjoy the ride before you reach the end of the road.

Stuart

Last edited by Stuart S; 03-27-2016 at 06:16 AM.