XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Tire road / roll noise? Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 512 Likes on 413 Posts

Expatjag I was wondering what tire pressures you were running in the Pilot Super Sports? Jaguar recommends 41psi for the XJR which runs the larger sizes, currently I have mine set at 40psi and find great stability at 110 (best I can do for short sprints when cops are not around). I have been cruising at 85 and all feels perfect, but of course they are new with only 300 miles on them. I agree with you if I go back to stock sizes I'll use the Dunlaps again. Last question were the Michelins front and rear the same compound i.e. did they have the same manufacturer recommended mark, like "*" for BMW or "MB" for Mercedes, etc.?

Last edited by XJsss; 03-01-2015 at 09:29 AM.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:31 AM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by XJsss
Expatjag I was wondering what tire pressures you were running in the Pilot Super Sports? Jaguar recommends 41psi for the XJR which runs the larger sizes, currently I have mine set at 40psi and find great stability at 110 (best I can do for short sprints when cops are not around). I have been cruising at 85 and all feels perfect, but of course they are new with only 300 miles on them. I agree with you if I go back to stock sizes I'll use the Dunlaps again. Last question were the Michelins front and rear the same compound i.e. did they have the same manufacturer recommended mark, like "*" for BMW or "MB" for Mercedes, etc.?
I'm not sure what psi I was running because I had them installed at the tire place that stores and swaps out my winter and summer tires. I got them from Tire Rack so I assume they had the same compound.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member

Not necessarily, take a look:
Michelin Pilot Super Sport Max Performance Summer
You want an unsurpassed blend of dry and wet street traction and handling and only the finest will do.
Max Performance Summer
Consumer Rating

So looking at Michelin web site there are 3 versions of the 295/30ZR20s. The BMW spec has a 9/32 tread depth and the Mercedes spec has 10/32 tread depth, that alone will tell you they have different "personalities" and compounds.

The following users liked this post:
ExpatJag (03-01-2015)
Old 03-01-2015, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by XJsss
Not necessarily, take a look:
Michelin Pilot Super Sport Max Performance Summer
You want an unsurpassed blend of dry and wet street traction and handling and only the finest will do.
Max Performance Summer
Consumer Rating

So looking at Michelin web site there are 3 versions of the 295/30ZR20s. The BMW spec has a 9/32 tread depth and the Mercedes spec has 10/32 tread depth, that alone will tell you they have different "personalities" and compounds.

Good info. I went back to Tire Rack and it seems as if they only keep your last order history. That's crappy.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member

BTW 2 weeks ago when I was looking for these tires, Tire Rack was showing both front and rears as "BMW". So it's important the be aware of what you are buying especially you who is in the "Wunderland" of being able to stretch the cats paws. Personally, while I do a lot of studying before I buy I actually use a local tire shop to do my tires and alignments (Perfect Performance in Roswell GA) they know tires and will not try to oversell you ever.

The following users liked this post:
ExpatJag (03-01-2015)
Old 03-01-2015, 01:23 PM

Looking at the Michelin page again I don't think I got the sizes you have listed above. The tires I got didn't have a brand like BMW or Mercedes in the description when I bought them.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:18 AM
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by retriever-007
Thanks for this response. On my truck I first installed Michelin's in 2002 and have been extremely pleased with them in any weather situation. Also had them on my '91 Lincoln Mark VII Bill Blass Edition. On the '12 XJL-Porfolio the original tires (Pirellis) are doing ok but have not yet driven this automobile in rain or snow so don't know how they'll perform in those conditions. I once had Pirellis on my new 1973 Datsun 240Z (traded it for a new '76 Z car but wish I hadn't) but had a bad experience and got rid of them and said I would never again have Perillis on my car, but they came on the Jag when I got it in November. When it's time to change the Jag tires I was thinking about the Continentals, but first wanted to hear from someone who has used Michelins. I'll do some checking with my dealer about Michelins or Continentals for this automobile.

Hey mate, I installed the Continental DWS tires on my car early last year and I couldn't be happier. I had the Pirelli P Zero Nero's on my XJL before and they were absolutely crap, especially in the rain and slight snow.

There are quite a few of us who have the Contis (including johndahlheimer) and we all love them.

Best of luck in your tire shopping!

Old 10-21-2015, 08:38 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I just dropped my F Type off for its first service and was given a 2015 3.0ltr XJ with 2K miles as a loaner.

I love the looks of the car and the ride but was very disappointed in the road noise. I have driven other luxury sedans and they are much quieter. It has the Dunlop's so perhaps that is it. However the noise will keep me from buying one. Unless I could confirm the tires are the culprit that is.

Old 10-21-2015, 04:00 PM
Location: Mooresville, NC (Race City USA), home of most NASCAR teams.
Received 480 Likes on 368 Posts

Tire noise is pretty much determined solely by the tires themselves. If you go on the TireRack website you can get some great information on all kinds of things (wet performance, dry performance, snow and ice performance if applicable, rolling resistance, etc.) plus tire ride characteristics and road noise. I find it interesting that some great cars come with some crappy OEM tires. I chalk this up to the purchasing/finance people having the final say rather than the suspension engineers.
The best laid plans of mice and men often go astray, especially when the bean counters get involved.

Last edited by johndahlheimer; 10-21-2015 at 04:06 PM.