XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Traction control problems?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 08:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traction control problems?

Newb here, with a question about the X351 traction control on my 2011 XJ S/C (SWB). The car is new to me as of about 6 weeks ago, so I'm still feeling her out.

However, as I get accustom the handling of the car, I become more skeptical of the traction control.

For example, when I come off an aggressive left turn to enter a freeway, if I get too deep into the throttle, I have no problem loosening up the rear-end, and it doesn't seem to want to catch until I let up on or "feather" the gas. Ultimately, it feels like it will continue to drift until I make the throttle correction. To be sure, I don't have the confidence to put it to a thorough test on public streets, but it sure seems like the car doesn't want to right itself out of a drift like I would expect to. That is, of course, unless I had the traction control switched off.

This car replaced a '06 BMW M5, and when that car lost traction (especially when coming out of a turn), it would literally yank itself back on course--almost violently so. And, it would let you know with a tell-tail light that the computers had taken over the car's steering and throttle. The Jag does neither.

Is this something I should be concerned about?

BTW: Love the car, and proud to join your ranks as Jag owners.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:33 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Rawdeal,

I think you may be confusing the technical difference between traction control and ESP (or vehicle stability control). These systems leverage similar functions and must interact, but are distinctly different.

I am assuming you have a RWD vehicle. Traction control is going to look at the differential wheel speed between the rear tires. (They may sometime look at front wheel speed as well, esp with AWD). If there is a limited slip differential, both tires will turn at close to the same rate, and you would not necessarily get an interruption from the system.

ESP is basically described as vehicle stability control. This uses the brakes and other vehicle components to keep the vehicle level and under control.

If using traction control only, you can enter an area in a curve where both rear tires are turning at a rate faster than the front wheels, starting to kick out the rear end. In this condition, you would not necessarily get an intervention.

Now, place one tire on ice and the other on pavement. Traction control will make sure that you still move forward.

I hope this helps.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:49 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Originally Posted by rawdeal
Newb here, with a question ...........

Welcome to the forum Rawdeal,

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham