XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Transmission Fault

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 06:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Transmission Fault

Hi Guys,
Looking for some advice (and reassurance). I recently enough bought a XJ portfolio 56k miles. I love the car its my second jag and other than being a bit of a pig around the multi story i cant fault it except... The other day while driving home in the outside lane of the motor way it dropped out of gear and a transmission fault error came up (amber i think) I switched from D to S to N trying to get it back in gear but no joy. Luckily i had enough speed to negotiate the 3 lanes and get onto the hard shoulder but there was a very clenched buttocks...The same day i noticed the "up" paddle shifter wouldnt work but the down would, i assume it was something small/setting and paid no real heed. Once stopped i put it in park and then back in D and it drove fine. Drove fine all weekend and then this morning the charging system red light came on for about 4 seconds then disappeared. Any ideas? Obviously im going to get onto a dealer and have it looked at but as i bought it privately i am not going in with a blank chequebook! I love the car and i dont want it to break my heart... or my bank balance... but mostly my heart

Old 09-11-2017, 07:51 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

See what the codes are.

No sign of leaks from the transmission area?

Old 09-11-2017, 08:02 AM

nope dry as a bone from what i can see but will try and get under properly tonight and have a good look around.

Old 09-11-2017, 04:07 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Alan, from the sounds of things, you are having voltage problems with the car. Could be a bad alternator or even something as simple as a bad battery cable. Are you noticing that your car seems to be taking a little longer to start? Atleast with the X-Types, you would start to see random codes and have funny things happen when the battery started to get weak. Kinda sounds like the same thing.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:18 PM

Not really that I have noticed but now you say it I think I may have but that could be in my head 😃 Good shout,after I double check for fluids I will check the battery and connections. is there any way I would know the alternator is starting to go, visually other than the obvious battery not charging?