XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Transmission Replacement Advice Sought

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2023, 01:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Replacement Advice Sought

Hello.

I need to replace the automatic transmission for my 2012 XJ 3.0 D LWB. Should I seek to have the existing one rebuilt, buy a remanufactured one, buy a used one or buy a new one? I was quoted $12,000 USD for a new one and that is more than I'm willing to pay. I am having problems finding a replacement. Guidance/thoughts are appreciated. BTW, I'm located in the Cayman Islands.

Cheers.

Old 01-11-2023, 02:54 PM
Received 572 Likes on 354 Posts

Much depends on what is wrong with it, either way you are looking at a large bill unless you can source a decent low miles secondhand box. The parts to repair a transmission of this type are themselves quite expensive so you will easily spend a four figure sum in parts.

Most of these boxes fail because of the 'filled for life' statement - they aren't - typically you need to be looking at an oil change at 60k miles, by 120k miles you need to consider valve body work and certainly replacing all the seals - one seal in particular between the valve body and the transmission case is the cause of a lot of transmission deaths. The bushes typically need work by 180k miles and that's if the appropriate servicing has been done. and that job is a complete tear down.The problem is that the seals cause pressure loss, worn bushes cause pressure loss and once the valves can no longer provide the pressures needed the clutches start to slip and the transmission is doomed.

If I bought a secondhand box I would fully overhaul it, at UK prices that would easily cost £1200 in parts without any labour included

I would try to get yours diagnosed and rebuilt but I can't begin to say what that will cost I've only ever seen the Caymens on a map, if you get a decent rebuilder they may be able to do enough to bring it back to life replacing only what is damaged and beyond service - but the damage could be extensive it depends how long it was driven with apparent problems.