XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Trunk Liner

Old 01-02-2017, 02:33 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Trunk Liner

While upgrading the trunk bulb to LED, I noticed the liner was sagging down. Anyone had this or know a DIY fix?

Old 01-02-2017, 04:31 AM
GGG
Received 16,747 Likes on 12,140 Posts

Jaguar luggage compartment liners are usually secured with 'fir tree' fasteners.

Name:  FIR TREE.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  9.1 KB

These push through the liner into a corresponding fixing in the metal panel. Check for any of these loose or missing.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
gagman66 (01-02-2017)
Old 01-02-2017, 06:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 586 Likes on 360 Posts

If you mean it is hanging down/sagging in the middle between the two fixings (and the fixings are sound), then it is just the poor quality trim buckling under its own weight. The same often happens at the sides at the thinnest points as well. If the trim has not yet folded/blown there is little you can do, but if it has folded then you can insert bond a small piece of wood behind the fold which makes it much less obvious.

If it is really bad then drill a new hole in the base of the parcel shelf and use a new fir tree clip as shown above to retain it, but be careful where you drill and clean up the cut edges.

The following users liked this post:
gagman66 (01-02-2017)
Old 01-02-2017, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by xdave
If you mean it is hanging down/sagging in the middle between the two fixings (and the fixings are sound), then it is just the poor quality trim buckling under its own weight. The same often happens at the sides at the thinnest points as well. If the trim has not yet folded/blown there is little you can do, but if it has folded then you can insert bond a small piece of wood behind the fold which makes it much less obvious.

If it is really bad then drill a new hole in the base of the parcel shelf and use a new fir tree clip as shown above to retain it, but be careful where you drill and clean up the cut edges.

As always XDave, thanks for sharing your knowledge and expertise.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:03 PM

The "fir tree" anchors are only across the front. Nothing in the middle or back closest to rear seats. I some industrial strength Velcro to attached. Better but not perfect.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:49 PM
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Bringing this back from the dead so i dont create a new thread. Gagman or anyone else with this, did you notice a rattle when the liner started to sag? I heard a rattle/knocking coming from the rear, and noticed this was loose, but it doesnt seem to actually be hitting anything, so I am not sure if its some other source or not.

Thanks guys.

Old 03-13-2018, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Hank Scorpio
Bringing this back from the dead so i dont create a new thread. Gagman or anyone else with this, did you notice a rattle when the liner started to sag? I heard a rattle/knocking coming from the rear, and noticed this was loose, but it doesnt seem to actually be hitting anything, so I am not sure if its some other source or not.

Thanks guys.

I have the same issue, and don't believe it to be the trunk liner. In my case the rear bumper/quarter panel my be loose. I noticed a lot a play while installing factory splashguards.