XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Update to 10.25" Front Screen-All XJ's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,775 Posts

I have been contacted by Andy at Shenzhen Canavie Technology Co., Ltd.
He says the new unit is ready and available for shipping!

Awaiting answers for some addition questions I asked him and I think I will be a guinea pig if it looks like it will work.
Don't know if the price has changed or not?

Will report back as things develop.

The following 2 users liked this post by clubairth1:
xdave (02-18-2020), XJ8JR (02-18-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 01:26 AM
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
I have been contacted by Andy at Shenzhen Canavie Technology Co., Ltd.
He says the new unit is ready and available for shipping!

Awaiting answers for some addition questions I asked him and I think I will be a guinea pig if it looks like it will work.
Don't know if the price has changed or not?

Will report back as things develop.
Hey Clubairth1. From speaking with Andy, are there any new features or updates on this new OS that wasn’t on the previous version?

Old 02-19-2020, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member

Hi ABrice! Yes here what he sent me today. I have agreed to purchase but have not paid yet.

Hi Kevin:

Thanks for your email.
Yes it will be 4GB RAM / 64GB Flash.
It will be Android 9.0
The boot will be faster.

We already confirmed that it would fit your car well.
I will send an invoice to your email via PayPal.
Thanks for your supports.

Best Regards
Andy

Hope the price is still around $900-$1000 too!

I think we had some miss-communication about the Fastboot option as was explained to me up-thread by sgtm7.
So not clear if that option is included or that with the bigger memory an Android version 9.0 it just boots faster than the old hardware?

Old 02-20-2020, 05:20 AM
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Hi ABrice! Yes here what he sent me today. I have agreed to purchase but have not paid yet.

Hi Kevin:

Thanks for your email.
Yes it will be 4GB RAM / 64GB Flash.
It will be Android 9.0
The boot will be faster.

We already confirmed that it would fit your car well.
I will send an invoice to your email via PayPal.

Best Regards
Andy

Hope the price is still around $900-$1000 too!

I think we had some miss-communication about the Fastboot option as was explained to me up-thread by sgtm7.
So not clear if that option is included or that with the bigger memory an Android version 9.0 it just boots faster than the old hardware?
I will await your update. After you get it installed, and mess around with the settings, you will be able to determine if there is an option for fast boot. If they have added an option, then I will seriously consider spending money on getting this version.

One more thing: I discovered with the unit I installed in my Cayenne, is that they might not be calling it fast boot. On the Wondefoo unit I installed, they call it "autosleep". It gives options for 30 seconds, 5 minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour, and then "autosleep". Autosleep puts the headunit in sleep mode, until you restart the car, at which time it comes back on at the same place it was when you cut the car off. On that same note, prior to purchasing, when I asked the vendor about fast boot for my Wondefoo unit, he just said that it takes about 20 seconds to boot. Indicating it didn't have the option. So most of these vendors don't know much about the units they sale.

Old 02-20-2020, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks again for explaining the details!
I just paid $959 and he gave me a free carplay/android auto dongle.

We will see what I get and how much of a struggle I have installing it.

The following 2 users liked this post by clubairth1:
XJ8JR (02-20-2020), XJsss (02-20-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 01:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 527 Likes on 371 Posts

Thanks for taking the plunge. Looking forward to reading your review.

Old 02-20-2020, 07:48 PM
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Hi,

Can it control the rear monitor and massage seats? My Jag is 2017 XJL, it has 8' InControl Touch Pro. I could find xdave's post, if I will change the display to 10", I have to re-programming some modules using SDD. It seems easier to use this product than to reprogram module with SDD.

Have a nice day!
KIM

Old 02-21-2020, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

Kim, this approach is an Android overlay over the OEM system. Whilst some functions are wrapped by the overlay with a new UI, you can still revert back to the OEM screens and have access to all of the same functionality as before.

However, you cannot currently use this with an NGI car like yours. This works for pre-2016MY cars only. It is unlikely they will develop an overlay for the NGI cars because the hardware already supports the 10.2" screens and only the 'dumb' display itself changes. What I would like to see for those later cars is a 3rd party screen that mounts within the 8" centre fascia bracket in the same way as these overlays do as that would make switching to the 10.2" screen a 30 minute job versus a full day.

Old 02-21-2020, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member

Yes listen to Xdave he is really the expert on this stuff. After reading all the problems with how Jaguar did the bigger screen I am hoping for a much more usable setup by using aftermarket android screens.
Plus since I have a 2014 it's my only choice.

The following users liked this post:
ABrice (02-21-2020)
Old 02-21-2020, 07:31 PM
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Just prior to making the purchase on the 10.25” Andriod screen, I’m gonna ask if there’s a way to NOT display the “Android” logo when booting up. I’d much rather just see only the Jaguar logo. It’d make it feel more OEM. I’m sure that there’s a way to do it.

Old 02-28-2020, 05:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I'm new to this forum FYI.
Just wanted to pipe up and say I'm monitoring this threat with great interest as I too would love to upgrade my current XJ infotainment screen with this.
Hope it works out as good as it looks.
Looking forward to seeing the results 😁👍

Old 03-06-2020, 07:07 AM
R R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Dave
Thank you for teaching us how to upgrade the screen,it's very helpful.
But there is no tutorial to update the infotainment system on the internet.
Would you please tell me how to update the infotainment system(Phase 4) and get carplay by using SDD?

I'll appreciate it very much if you would help me.

Old 03-06-2020, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member

Please post your car info. As you can see there are some variations and it's hard to keep them all straight.

Old 03-06-2020, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

RR, to avoid confusing the two threads (this one is about the Android overlays) I'll answer you in the ICTP thread

Old 03-07-2020, 02:25 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, following this with interest. Hopefully you can post some pics and updates once you have the unit.
​​​​​​

The following users liked this post:
Dr_dre (03-22-2020)
Old 03-27-2020, 01:09 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In China this has been on sale in for quite some time already. I am from Hong Kong, so this is not readily available to me, but I can get my hands on them easy enough if I want it.

From the reviews and comments this thing seems legit.

Though one comment from a Singapore customer points out that 4G function will not work outside China (not even Hong Kong and Macau).

I stole some pics on the internet for you all:

Old 03-27-2020, 01:27 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 03-28-2020, 06:30 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks much for the added info and pictures!!
I have not received the unit yet but I did receive this from Andy with Canavie Tech. 3 days ago.

Hi Kevin:

thanks for your email.

Here we have gone backt work normally as usual.
The package has left China for USA
I think you will receive it soon

Best Regards
Andy

Glad to see it should work!

Old 03-31-2020, 07:33 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi all,
First of all - thanks for everyone for this thread I got a lot from it.

I also have to tell you that Andy replyed immediately and helped me with all kind advises - so his support is great.

Several weeks ago I ordered the 10.25 Android unit from Canavie Tech (Andy - as some mailed him as well). After a week it arrived. It is a MarryWay unit.

Then the problems and solutions ... and other problems...

The original JAG boards does not fit to the backplate comes with the unit. Tiny mod was required.
The unit I have received displayed nothing. We checked all the connections, we used a short between ACC and B+, but nothing.
Before returning the unit to China finally a local computer workshop measured the Android mainboard and find the Android LCD was not connected correctly to the mainboard (the ribbon cable was a misfit). After connecting it correctly the unit booted up.
Placed into the car again and with the short of B+ and ACC the firmware update was done. From this point the main functions worked correctly (boot-up with ignition...).
Then 4G was not working: the signal was there with full coverage, but there was no data connection. Abut a half-an-hour of searching settings of Android I set APN correctly then data connection become OK (normally all device has to do this setting automatically from the service provider.)
Then I had to mess a lot with the resolution of the JAG's original screen, finally also set correctly. Also the side-buttons needs some setting as 2 works (home and mode) but the other 6 did not.
Now Bluetooth connects my iPhone but nothing else. After 1 minute of boot-up the unit shows "Bluetooth share isn't responding" and closes. Handsfree function works but no other.

If anyone have any idea or advise - please let me know.
Also if you know anything about the unused internal connectors on the mainboard - please let me know.

Finally: there was no manual or wiring-diagram in the box. I have made a schematics (if anyone needs it I can post it out) but if there is a detailed manual, I would appreciate it...

Last edited by Redmen; 03-31-2020 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:42 AM
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

@Redmen

Thank you very much for your great review. My friends are interested in this android unit. They are hesitant to purchase because no installation manual. If you can share installation method (/w wiring-diagram), a lot of people can help.

Best Regards,
KIM

Quick Reply: Update to 10.25" Front Screen-All XJ's?