XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Update to 10.25" Front Screen-All XJ's?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,216 Likes on 1,754 Posts
Default Update to 10.25" Front Screen-All XJ's?

I really like the bigger Infotainment display the 2016 and up XJ's have. Plus the Apple Car Play and all the different apps. I saw this and it's from China.
About $1200 they have good pictures of what it can do and the bigger screen looks right at home in the earlier cars too.
Of course any pictures can be messed with.

Not sure how it all works but they have a interesting picture of the existing display and I think it becomes an app or maybe even home like before?

If it's on the market I think someone must have tried it?
Seems to Iffy for me? But still tempting.

10.25 Screen

Found this HUD unit add on too, of course from China. Cheap price of $55

I may buy this just to play around with. My friend has a Corvette with the HUD setup and I liked it. Just want to be able to turn it off too!
XJ HUD

Last edited by clubairth1; 11-05-2018 at 04:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
QP7 (09-09-2023)
Old 11-06-2018, 03:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

Normally these work by 'wrapping' the OEM screen IO by replacing the physical screen in the OEM housing and connecting the input to the old screen from the OEM hardware to an interface module or board fitted behind the screen. That module provides the new OS (normally Android) and replicates the old hardware buttons to change the screens when viewing the OEM screens and offsets the touch input to replacate the old hardware. From the cars point of view it sees nothing different to normal, but you can then run other Android apps on the hardware.

They are popular in the bigger Chinese cities where they rebadge locally made cars with Western badges and can replicate the infotainment interfaces (there are a lot of fake Mercedes and BMWs in China).

The photos on that AliExpress listing appear to show an OEM second gen infotainment screen with the labels missing. That may just be a stock photo of what they are trying to replicate, but if that is what they supply then I can't see the LVDS connection for an IAM and the IP cluster which are needed by the first gen IAM-based cars. If you already have a second gen car with the 8" screen I suspect swapping to the 10" screen with OEM parts is fairly simple. For IAM-based cars it will be harder. Cambo would be the man to ask there. The same technique of 'wrapping' the OEM screen IO though would work.

I've looked at these before to get better offline mapping and camera integration on my X350s but as yet I've not found one where the interface worked fluidly in English as they all seem to be developed for Far Eastern markets. It is hard to tell from the screenshots how this would look in English.

From a security point of view I would never let an aftermarket Android system like that connect to the Internet (directly or via BT sharing) as you have limited control over the apps they run and they are hardwired into the core networks of your car. That would rule out using Car Play (or Android Auto if it is running Android, which it looks to be). That risk may be acceptable to you, but having worked extensively with Far Eastern software I usually find that "looks ok" comes at the top of the list, "works ok" is in the middle and "what is security?" comes at the bottom.

Avoid those aftermarket LED reflection HUDs - they all need an IR label stuck to the windscreen, and on the XJ with the double humped dash you have nowhere to mount it without cutting holes.

The following 2 users liked this post by xdave:
guy (03-07-2020), Ken Dreger (10-23-2021)
Old 11-06-2018, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member

I have read comments from Cambo about something similar in the works but he never posted back.
Cambo can you add anything yet?

To me it seems much smarter/simpler to add the big screen with Android on it and just keep the factory stuff as one input. To keep the car unaware that any changes have been done.

Should I be looking for a 2016+ factory screen? Not any out there (At least I can't find any) yet but as with the LED headlight update I am sure some will become available in the future.
I would rather use the Android screen but still pretty new trying to understand this update. I need the trim panel too. I think they are all the same trim? Shiny black.

I will stay away from the HUD. It did look like a JC Whitney type mod anyway!!

I have 2014 XJR and "think" I have the second generation 8" screen? So if no change in functions I should be able to swap my 8" display for a factory 10.25" display.
Need 2 parts the screen and the trim surround? That would be OK too at least better than the small 8" screen.

Oh one more thing? I don't understand the security risks can you explain what might happen?

Last edited by clubairth1; 11-06-2018 at 12:22 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
I have 2014 XJR and "think" I have the second generation 8" screen? So if no change in functions I should be able to swap my 8" display for a factory 10.25" display.
I believe the next gen NLI hardware started being fitted to the X351 for the 2016 MY (approximately 2015 build year, but there are some 2014 built cars floating around).
You can easily check - do you load satnav mapping updates via an SD card, or via USB?

Originally Posted by clubairth1
I don't understand the security risks can you explain what might happen?
If you give it Internet access, anyone anywhere in the world has a direct connection the main networks in your car. There will be some sort of serial or similar to CAN port (in the software interface sense) on that hardware which greatly simplified can be used to send commands such as "stop engine" and "unlock doors" (there is a bypass command that is sent out by the restraints/airbag module in the event of deployment which bypasses the security system - that could be emulated). You also open it up to zero day exploits, and you can almost guarantee that it won't be supported for critical security updates.

If you have full access to the Android installation you could in theory firewall the Internet traffic, but chances are you'd have no support.

As an upgrade this looks great for those of us with the earlier cars, but only without an Internet connection.

Old 11-06-2018, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the added info!
I use the USB for SAT/NAV updates.

I can see the Internet connection is dangerous. Maybe for now I can just upgrade the screen size.

Old 11-06-2018, 03:51 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

You ask why security of a system in a vehicle that has internet connection is important, watch this video. I think it will explain it pretty easily and obviously.

The following 2 users liked this post by Thermo:
Ken Dreger (10-23-2021), QP7 (09-17-2023)
Old 11-07-2018, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member

I found a 10" screen with part number GX63-19C299-AC but it looks to be an XF/Land Rover screen.
The larger screen has a single connection on back so I guess to use it with the earlier cars we would need to swap the boards behind the screen?
When did the large 10" screen come out? I don't see it on the 2016 models?

Yes the Jeep story is pretty in depth. I guess it's possible to control anything. I wonder if other cars have been hacked too?

Last edited by clubairth1; 11-07-2018 at 10:46 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:01 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

clubairth1, my understanding (as of a few years ago, probably a bigger list now) was that the only cars that really had any issues was the Jeeps (only the ones with the high end radios) and the GM brand cars with OnStar. Granted, since then, a lot of manufacturers have added some form of Wi-Fi to their vehicles. The trick is keeping the radio and the rest of the car isolated from each other. Our Jags would be vulnerable since they have the CAN bus running through the radio and would then most likely be tied into the Wi-Fi aspect. Any car that you can call a number and have them give you a report on problems with your car I would consider vulnerable. You have just proven a link from something that can access the internet and your car.

Granted, to take things one step further, I know a lot of people have wi-fi/wireless based home security systems. These are just as vulnerable as a car. One can sit outside a house, do a little scanning, find the system, figure out the process to get into the system and tada, they can walk into your house and not set off a single alarm. takes a little work on their part, but if they want in, they will be getting in. Hence why wired systems are still superior and most big business will not allow their camera systems to be wireless.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member

The F-Type guys got the big screen working fine but it appears the XJ has a different system so we can't use the same parts.

10.25" Screen Update

Still hoping to upgrade my XJ!

Old 01-07-2019, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 371 Posts

Yeah, I've been following that thread but the system itself is kinda disappointing. I don't think its worth the money.

Ken Dreger (10-23-2021)
Old 08-21-2019, 02:19 PM
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

So, I'm thinking of biting the bullet.

https://www.canavie.com/1025-android...-p1581100.html

Old 08-25-2019, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member

I hope you do it and report back!

I am still very interested in this and think it can be done but the XJ has so few people doing mods and upgrades.
Let us know what you do?

Ken Dreger (10-23-2021)
Old 08-27-2019, 02:59 AM
Received 179 Likes on 116 Posts

I don't know if it is at all relevant, but over in the "British" forum, a chap has done an Android install, with pictures and everything:

https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=116958

He seemed pleased with the results.

The following 2 users liked this post by christ:
Ken Dreger (10-23-2021), QP7 (01-30-2024)
Old 08-27-2019, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by christ
I don't know if it is at all relevant, but over in the "British" forum, a chap has done an Android install, with pictures and everything:

Thanks for finding this. It was helpful! I was offered to buy it at $830/ carplay. I was also told I could plug in the factory GPS and microphone without the extra stuff.

Ken Dreger (10-23-2021)
Old 08-27-2019, 04:18 AM
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by christ

That was my post. I didn't realize it was the "British" forum. LOL. Is this one the "American" forum? Since my father is American, my mother British, and I was born in London, that makes me half&half, so I should be using both forums right?

Yes. I am happy with the results. I could be happier. Like I mentioned in my thread, I have been using aftermarket Android stereos in my cars for years. This is the first one that tied into the OEM system. There are functions available on the universal Android car stereos that aren't available on the one I bought. If not for wanting to retain the Valet and Climate control functions, I would have completely removed the factory system and had an universal Android car stereo installed. If retaining OEM functions is not a concern for you, I would recommend getting one of the universal Android units from AutoPumpkin, Joying Auto, etc. Not only will you gain functions like "fast boot", but the universal units are about 1/4 the price of the units designed for integration with OEM systems.

The following 2 users liked this post by sgtm7:
Ken Dreger (10-23-2021), QP7 (01-30-2024)
Old 08-27-2019, 05:24 AM
Received 179 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by sgtm7
That was my post. I didn't realize it was the "British" forum. LOL. Is this one the "American" forum? Since my father is American, my mother British, and I was born in London, that makes me half&half, so I should be using both forums right? ...

Sorry - my shorthand. Both sets of fora are, of course, global (as they are on the internet without restriction) but this site tends to be predominantly contributed to by Americans, and the other mostly by Brits. There are, though, a good many members common to both.

Old 08-27-2019, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks again for posting this!
I knew it was possible and will now plan to change to the bigger screen.
Will start watching the pricing too as I have only seen it for $1000-$1100.

Old 08-27-2019, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by sgtm7
That was my post. I didn't realize it was the "British" forum. LOL. Is this one the "American" forum? Since my father is American, my mother British, and I was born in London, that makes me half&half, so I should be using both forums right?

Yes. I am happy with the results. I could be happier. Like I mentioned in my thread, I have been using aftermarket Android stereos in my cars for years. This is the first one that tied into the OEM system. There are functions available on the universal Android car stereos that aren't available on the one I bought. If not for wanting to retain the Valet and Climate control functions, I would have completely removed the factory system and had an universal Android car stereo installed. If retaining OEM functions is not a concern for you, I would recommend getting one of the universal Android units from AutoPumpkin, Joying Auto, etc. Not only will you gain functions like "fast boot", but the universal units are about 1/4 the price of the units designed for integration with OEM systems.

Ha. Both my parents are from Montenegro, I was born in London but live in the US.

I'm def going with one that handles the OEM operation. Do you know if Satellite radio works? If it does then I'm going to pull the trigger today. From one of the guys I spoke with I was told it could use the system's GPS and Microphone/speaker without adding the aftermarket one.

Old 08-28-2019, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by demiroquai
Ha. Both my parents are from Montenegro, I was born in London but live in the US.

I'm def going with one that handles the OEM operation. Do you know if Satellite radio works? If it does then I'm going to pull the trigger today. From one of the guys I spoke with I was told it could use the system's GPS and Microphone/speaker without adding the aftermarket one.
If Satellite radio is part of the OEM system, then it will work. Just select it from the Audio/Video source input selection on the OEM screen. Just like you can do for an Ipod, etc. The same source inputs are available after installing the Android unit. Don't know if an aftermarket Satellite radio would work, because there are no audio inputs for the Android unit, only video inputs.

The GPS and microphone? If it is using the OEM navigation and functions of microphone/speaker previously used before installing the Android unit, then yeah, it will work. I haven't experimented and tried disconnecting the antenna yet, but I believe that if it is an Android app that needs GPS, then you need the GPS antenna supplied with the Android unit. It does use the car speaker for Android apps IF you have the Audio/Video source set to "AUX". I imagine the same applies to the microphone.

Last edited by sgtm7; 08-28-2019 at 02:59 AM.
QP7 (01-30-2024)
Old 08-28-2019, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by demiroquai
So, I'm thinking of biting the bullet.

https://www.canavie.com/1025-android...-p1581100.html

Other than one being Android 6 and the other being Android 7, I am not sure in the difference of the specs, or in customer service, but at aliexpress, Kanor offers one that is a little bit cheaper right now. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3300....5f464c4dcBXhY

Quick Reply: Update to 10.25" Front Screen-All XJ's?