XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Warranty about to expire

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 09:43 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Warranty about to expire

When we purchased our 2011 XJ it came with a 5 Year or 50,000 mile warranty. It has only 30,000 miles but the five year is coming up this month. We were told that Jaguar would replace anything with wear on the car before warranty expires. My question is has anyone been down this road and if so what was your experience with dealer and what was replaced? I'm not sure what to expect...

Old 06-08-2015, 10:11 AM
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Hey mate, I am in the same boat as you are for this...my 5-Year warranty is expiring next month and I am going to be purchasing the extended warranty.
Two points on this:
1. To answer your questions, my dealership told me that they could only replace the wear and tear items if they were deemed "necessary". So for the brakes, given that they still have a fair bit of life in them (I am an easy-on-the-brakes driver), they will most likely not be replaced under the original warranty

2. Secondly, if you are planning on buying an extended warranty, the finance guy at my dealer informed me that this year, Jaguar has a stipulation that the extended warranty has to be purchased before 30 days from the expiration of the existing manufacturer's warranty. So not sure if you are planning on getting one or not, but if you do, then make sure that you buy it well in advance of the 30 days.

Cheers!

Old 06-08-2015, 07:36 PM
Location: Mooresville, NC (Race City USA), home of most NASCAR teams.
Received 480 Likes on 368 Posts

So what does the extended warranty cost, and is it as good as the original?

Old 06-12-2015, 11:04 AM
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

I know I'm on the wrong side of the pond from the rest of you guys, but I've just been given a quote of £804 (US$1253) from Jaguar for my Supersport. I went to an independent warranty company called Warranty Direct, who quoted me £767 (US$1195). Both figures are for a 12 month warranty that starts at 3yrs + 1 day.

I'm not entirely sure what to do. The cynic in me assumes that if I take warranty cover, nothing will go wrong with the car, and if I do not take warranty cover, then I'll be into it for thousands. Of course the third (Doomsday scenario) is that I take warranty cover, and something fails that the warranty company exempts themselves from covering!

Yeah, I'm a real barrel of laughs to live with!!!

ETA: I guess I'm not going with Warranty Direct!Feedback

Last edited by GilesGuthrie; 06-12-2015 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Adding Pistonheads feedback re Warranty Direct
Old 06-12-2015, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by GilesGuthrie
I know I'm on the wrong side of the pond from the rest of you guys, but I've just been given a quote of £804 (US$1253) from Jaguar for my Supersport. I went to an independent warranty company called Warranty Direct, who quoted me £767 (US$1195). Both figures are for a 12 month warranty that starts at 3yrs + 1 day.

I'm not entirely sure what to do. The cynic in me assumes that if I take warranty cover, nothing will go wrong with the car, and if I do not take warranty cover, then I'll be into it for thousands. Of course the third (Doomsday scenario) is that I take warranty cover, and something fails that the warranty company exempts themselves from covering!

Yeah, I'm a real barrel of laughs to live with!!!
Wow, a hundred dollars per month for an extended warranty seems a bit stiff to me. I share your mixed feelings. Thanks for your input.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:27 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by GilesGuthrie

I'm not entirely sure what to do.
Take the money every year and stick it in a bank account used only for car repairs that would have covered by the warranty. I've been doing this for 30+ years and have enough in reserve to buy a whole new car.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 515 Likes on 413 Posts

I'm getting the US Jaguar extended warranty (Provided and administered by: United Service Protection Corp.). The one I chose is for 6 years (starts the day the warranty is purchased and will cover the Jag to 100k miles. I have been researching this and gotten quotes from $4,200.00 to $3,750.00. So the 3,750 is a lot, but for 6 years and 50k miles a lot of peace of mind.

Old 06-12-2015, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by XJsss
I'm getting the US Jaguar extended warranty (Provided and administered by: United Service Protection Corp.). The one I chose is for 6 years (starts the day the warranty is purchased and will cover the Jag to 100k miles. I have been researching this and gotten quotes from $4,200.00 to $3,750.00. So the 3,750 is a lot, but for 6 years and 50k miles a lot of peace of mind.
$3,750.00 for 72 months works out to $52.08 a month, certainly not as bad as as Giles ~$1,200.00 for 12 months which works out to $100.00 a month.

My question: Is the US Jaguar extended warranty (by United Service Protection Corp.) transferable to a subsequent owner of my Jaguar?
If it is, I probably would buy it, if not, probably not.

The only car I have ever kept for six years is my '09 Chevrolet Corvette (for which I foolishly did buy an extended warranty, my first) but with only 39,000 miles, it has never needed a repair not covered by a factory recall.

Last edited by johndahlheimer; 06-12-2015 at 05:37 PM.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,192 Likes on 3,405 Posts
Default Extended Warranty or Service Contract? 6 Years From When?

Originally Posted by XJsss
XJsss,

I tried to find details of that USPC plan on line, but was unable to do so. Their website was totally useless.

It appears that what you're planning to buy from USPC is not really a "warranty" from a legal standpoint, but is actually an "extended service contract." The manufacturer (Jaguar) stands behind their warranty; but that's not the case for a third-party extended service contract, which is backed solely by the seller, USPC. If you're buying it through Jaguar North Point (or any other Jaguar dealer), know that they make a commission for selling it, so their opinion of USPC may be biased. And don't expect Jaguar USA to be of any help since their factory warranty will have expired.

If the USPC plan is structured to be similar to the Jaguar CPO warranty (6-years, 100K miles), then the 6-year term begins on the date the vehicle was initially placed in service and NOT the date that you purchase that extended service contract. I suggest that you get a copy of that actual contract form and read it carefully to confirm when the term begins.

Know what to expect so there won't be any surprises if and when the time comes to make a claim. Because the terms and conditions of the written contract form control, you need to read them carefully BEFORE you sign the deal or make any payments. And be on the lookout for ambiguous and vague provisions that would enable USPC to deny claims, such as failures caused by rust.

Here's an excellent resource from the State of California: Guide to Automobile Service Contracts, Extended Warranties and Other Repair Agreements

Bottom line: Buyer Beware!
If this was helpful, please press at the bottom right.

Stuart

Last edited by Stuart S; 06-12-2015 at 06:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
johndahlheimer (06-12-2015)
Old 06-13-2015, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 515 Likes on 413 Posts

Stuart I am buying it through Hennessy Jaguar in Buckhead. As for coverage it does start the day purchased and is not a "wrap around". I have spoken about the claims experience with My Service Adviser Pete Alvarez and he has had no issue with claims being covered, so based on that I feel quite comfortable with purchasing some peace of mind.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:24 PM
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I purchased a Jaguar extended warranty from my dealership last week. Got it for $3,759 before tax, for 84 months (7 years) from the date that I signed the contract. Darn NC unfortunately instated a sales tax on service contracts this year, which bumps the total price to a little over 4k.

Anyway, all in all not too bad, for the peace of mind and having a car covered under a Jaguar sponsored warranty (it is underwritten by Assurant Insurance I think), and that too for 7 years.

Btw John, the warranty is indeed transferrable, and it can also be cancelled and a prorated amount of the cost refunded back to you, after deducting any claim amounts etc. which may have been spent for any warrantable repairs.

The following users liked this post:
johndahlheimer (06-16-2015)