XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

What is the purpose of this forum?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 09:31 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Wink What is the purpose of this forum?

I am a new owner and have a car with zero problems thus far. I joined this forum to share problems and concerns as well as info and updates regarding this vehicle. It is my first 4 door sedan which normally I would consider a rather staid vehicle.

I have noticed an awful lot of forum space wasted in comparisons with other staid vehicles such as Mercedes. This seems to me a non productive use of a forum entitled Jaguar XJ 2011.

Also there seems to be an inordinate amount of time wasted in whining debate about personal preferences on a range of subjects that are simply that - personal preference. Plus the constant and consistent whining about interior noise that a few suffer from and for which there is a TSB fix.

It's just a car. An item that is actually just as disposable tissue paper. It has no intrinsic value and little residual value over the course of a few short years. It is not a symbol of entitlement or prestige unless you make it so.

It is however a beautiful and fun toy. And toys are meant to be played with and enjoyed. So I would hope everyone can either move on to another more suitable product if that is their desire or enjoy the nice toy they currently own. But don't go to the Butter Forum and keep complaining about the Margarine.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,435 Likes on 1,941 Posts

A forum is just that, a place where contributors can discuss things and anounce their preferences on cars to all and sundry. I would not say anything is a wasted post, but I do object when posters start slagging off at each other, that is why we have forum rules and moderators.

n. pl. fo·rums also fo·ra (fôr, fr) 1. a. The public square or marketplace of an ancient Roman city that was the assembly place for judicial activity and public business.
b. A public meeting place for open discussion.
c. A medium for open discussion or voicing of ideas, such as a newspaper, a radio or television program, or a website.

2. A public meeting or presentation involving a discussion usually among experts and often including audience participation.
3. A court of law; a tribunal.

[Middle English, from Latin; see dhwer- in Indo-European roots.]

Old 07-12-2011, 09:53 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think if you don't like the topics some people raise or even the entire forum, you are free to ignore and not participate. This a public forum and you have no right to chastise anyone for airing their opinion.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,795 Likes on 7,118 Posts

Originally Posted by Holein1
I think if you don't like the topics some people raise or even the entire forum, you are free to ignore and not participate.

That's pretty much it. No single forum can be all things to all people.

I belong to a number of discussion forums, including three or four Jag forums. I learned long ago that each naturally develops its own personality and atmosphere....and even the different sections within a forum have their own personalities and atmospheres.

Unless things go totally off the rails I think it's pointless trying to unnaturally alter what naturally develops. It's easy enough to ignore whatever you don't like. Well, most of the time, at least.

Cheers
DD

Old 07-12-2011, 04:17 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

I would agree with most of what has just been said, but I think there is no place on any forum for someone to constantly trash the subject of the forum. It is pointless and just plain rude and on some forums that I frequent, the moderator has taken away that poster's privileges. Yes, this is an open forum, but some rules of conduct should apply.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:32 PM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Just a suggestion: skip this Forum and find one that you do like.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  19.3 KB

Dochands - sorry you don't seem to enjoy our site or feel that there are wasted or non productive areas.

I'm sure there are free n easy non productive areas, but these are meeting places for people to have some "banter" and enjoy the craic.
In some ways I'm sure it may not be THE best forum, but we like it pretty much just the way it is. There's never too much stress / tension here although differing opinions do prevail, just never really ever get too far outta hand. More often than not the members themselves self moderate and we rarely have to do too much on that score......

We all have our opinions I guess.....

The following 2 users liked this post by JimC64:
joycesjag (07-12-2011), xdave (07-10-2021)
Old 07-12-2011, 07:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HouTexJag
I would agree with most of what has just been said, but I think there is no place on any forum for someone to constantly trash the subject of the forum. It is pointless and just plain rude and on some forums that I frequent, the moderator has taken away that poster's privileges. Yes, this is an open forum, but some rules of conduct should apply.
I think you're going to have to get over the naysayers...enjoy your car for what it is. If you see a post from PWL, skip it, move on...Sorry, I don't mean to sound like I'm preaching, but from a different perspective, your bitching at others who are talking negative about the XJ is just as annoying to me as what you feel about those who continue to bitch about the XJ. Everyone's going to have an opinion on the car. I have an opinion, I loved my car for the aesthetic, I hated it for the maintenance issues. I still monitor the board though because I'm curious to see how owners are getting along with their cars. I think those who are posting frustrations serve a purpose. It's really up to the reader to sift through what's valid and what isn't. This board is tame compared to some of the people trolling the AMG board (pun intended).

Old 07-12-2011, 09:26 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by hunterjah
I think you're going to have to get over the naysayers...enjoy your car for what it is. If you see a post from PWL, skip it, move on...Sorry, I don't mean to sound like I'm preaching, but from a different perspective, your bitching at others who are talking negative about the XJ is just as annoying to me as what you feel about those who continue to bitch about the XJ. Everyone's going to have an opinion on the car. I have an opinion, I loved my car for the aesthetic, I hated it for the maintenance issues. I still monitor the board though because I'm curious to see how owners are getting along with their cars. I think those who are posting frustrations serve a purpose. It's really up to the reader to sift through what's valid and what isn't. This board is tame compared to some of the people trolling the AMG board (pun intended).
I don't know about that. Don't go on the Ducati forum and trash Ducati's--they'll rip you up and spit you out (they're a proud bunch).

Enough said. I'm done with this topic.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:58 AM

LOL. So on this public forum I am free to express my opinion as long as you agree with it?

My point was I have never seen a forum where the subject of the forum itself is trashed and compared disfavorably to another product. Sorry if that little truth is so offensive to some of you. It was meant as constructive criticism.

I was not trying to devalue or disavow the entire forum or its members.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  19.3 KB

Originally Posted by Dochands
LOL. So on this public forum I am free to express my opinion as long as you agree with it?

My point was I have never seen a forum where the subject of the forum itself is trashed and compared disfavorably to another product. Sorry if that little truth is so offensive to some of you. It was meant as constructive criticism.

Hi Dochands - please rest assured that I'm not here in this post waving my big stick, merely posting my opinions on your comments as we are all free to do.

I don't think as far as I can see, anyone has stated that you are allowed an opinion , as long as it matches ours, not at all. You are of course free to post your thoughts here as a valued member.

We ALL have our own opinions and ideas, sometimes they differ, sometimes they may match.

I'm not saying for one minute that you fall into this category, but please understand. If a member, any member choses to continuously post negatives about the brand / model / forum etc there are chances that there will be a backlash. Usually we find that these can be fairly "new" members, and if this upsets the harmony on ths site, with the more senior and established members, then often they are either invited to leave or removed.

After all, why would anyone want to join a BMW forum for example to purely post about the negatives of the marque / forum?

Personally, I think as you say that it was almost a compliment on the forum and its members?
Perhaps you could clarify further?

Thanks

Old 07-13-2011, 12:43 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So let me see if I understand. You began the thread saying "But don't go to the Butter Forum and keep complaining about the Margarine." In other words, stop wasting your time by complaining about Jaguar in a Jaguar forum. It differs from your view on how a forum should work, and you don't want people to do that. Now you're L'ingOL when people challenge your opinion, and you feel they're saying that you're not free to post unless we agree with you. Do you get it yet? Your whole original post was not one to express how it's okay to voice your opinion, even if it's unfavorable. It was to tell everyone to stop doing it because they're wasting your time. And it was met with a fairly resounding, "if you don't care for it, you're welcome to skip the topic, or enjoy other websites that are more to your liking. How 'bout now? Get it yet? I guess what you really mean is that you're insulted when you feel that YOU are not free to express your opinion, but everyone else does not have that same right to express themselves...as you so eloquently explained in your opening message. Starting to penetrate yet?

Old 07-13-2011, 12:46 PM
Wink

Lol

Old 07-13-2011, 12:57 PM
aau
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ well said

Old 07-14-2011, 07:12 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

It's just a car.
It's just a car that people here paid between 70K and 90K so they have all the right to whine and complain when they don't get what they paid for.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:52 AM

Clearly they are entitled to do just that.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heck, I thought I had a roof pop and was mad as &$@?
Then I found out it was my sunglass case in the door ratteling around.
Don't take the forum thing to .................

Last edited by MackXJL; 07-18-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:06 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

We're so much more productive over at the XKR Forum!

Old 07-18-2011, 05:12 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Well guess what? If pwl buys an XK you'll be more than welcome to him......

Old 07-21-2011, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

I just wandered here to see how the new XJ was getting along while deciding when to buy one. Seems to be some noses out of joint...the cars sound pretty good, just the owners are having issues.

Quick Reply: What is the purpose of this forum?