XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

who still has roof popping issues?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 01:23 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default who still has roof popping issues?

On my 2nd replacement car hi vin 15000+ its been in twice for roof repairs, getting ready to say adios. anyone else having issues or just me?

Old 08-21-2011, 02:46 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Clearly it's not just you though I have never had a problem and my car is about half your VIN.

I did take a list of TSBs to the dealer and made sure they were completed before I signed off on the car. Sadly, I am beginning to think that, as in the past with other vehicles, the problem may be the dealer. Some seem to fix it. Some don't.

I have had other vehicles that just had a progressive degeneration and I have always suspected it was because repairs weren't done as promised or they were incompetent to do the repair. And when even though I thought these new unlimited warranties would make things better I have seen the exact opposite. I don't know if they just know they can bill hour after hour ,and since the customer won't complain about cost, its their license to steal. I saw it very clearly with my Audi until I pitched a fit because my time was being wasted.

Good luck.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:58 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My VIN is well over 15k, and after several months and thousands of miles, no pops, rattles, or other intrusive noises. The dealer I bought from did seem to be high volume, and fairly pro-active.

How long/how many miles did it take for your noises to show up on the second one?

Also, some have inferred that the SC models have fewer problems with the noises. I don't see how that would be the case.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:08 AM

800 mi than 2000mi and this is a replacement car. My service manager seems to only have one more customer with a roof problem. I told him can't be because this is a second replacement car from jaguar and the roof is worse it must be a design flaw.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:04 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by Dochands
Clearly it's not just you though I have never had a problem and my car is about half your VIN.

I did take a list of TSBs to the dealer and made sure they were completed before I signed off on the car. Sadly, I am beginning to think that, as in the past with other vehicles, the problem may be the dealer. Some seem to fix it. Some don't.

I have had other vehicles that just had a progressive degeneration and I have always suspected it was because repairs weren't done as promised or they were incompetent to do the repair. And when even though I thought these new unlimited warranties would make things better I have seen the exact opposite. I don't know if they just know they can bill hour after hour ,and since the customer won't complain about cost, its their license to steal. I saw it very clearly with my Audi until I pitched a fit because my time was being wasted.

Good luck.
yes youre correct, it is a license to steal. By the manufacturer, they only pay SO MUCH time for a job period. If it takes you longer thats your problem. Straight time, only 1 hour, after that you need to be signed off by Ratan Tata himself, (kidding but not by much).
We as techs wonder where they come up with times because so many times even good, efficient techs after doing the job many times, still cant beat the published warranty time for a job. As a Manufacturer I can significantly control my costs for repairs if I only pay a certain time for a job wether its realistic or not

Old 08-22-2011, 09:14 AM

Sorry. Off topic.

I was never clear if the dealer could continue to bill to fix the same problem again and again. It certainly never made sense to me they would not fix it the first time unless there was some profit in return visits.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:34 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by dochands
sorry. Off topic.

I was never clear if the dealer could continue to bill to fix the same problem again and again. It certainly never made sense to me they would not fix it the first time unless there was some profit in return visits.
well we do a repair to an item that we think fixes it, and or it does, but returns due to what jaguars recommednation for a repair that doesnt work permanently. They felt it was a good repair proceedure, but time shows otherwise. And squeeks pops and rattles are the worse and hardest problem of almost anything to fix. I have already shown that roof pops are either non existant when hot on many cars. I drive cars over inclines after sitting in the sun in the parking lot(100+ in texas lately)
and theyre as quiet as can be. Take them in the air conditioned shop to cool for a few hours and they pop like crazy. The expansion and contraction is what we're fighting on this because you can fix the issue only to have it return later after parts loosen from the temp cycle and driving. I now red locktite everything i remove in the roof and try to do the repairs when the roof is not hot so i can tighten and adjust everything when contraction is greatest. Now what happens when winter hits....... we'll see won't we

Old 08-22-2011, 02:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I still have it, a little worse then before, especially when going over driveway. Also have squeak type noise from front right side dash.
Hot weather seems to make it worse.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:27 AM

The reason I started this post is to find out he many new jag owners has the roof popping, creaking etc, because after a year and two brand new xjl's they continue to tell me my car and only one other have the roof issues.
My dealer is very large in east coast they also have land rover, MB, Lexus.
I don't buy it.
It must find out if it's just me , my dealer or a design flaw by Jaguar.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:31 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

There seem to be an unfortunate few posting on this forum that continue to have the roof popping problem. Most of us seem to have gotten it resolved by our dealer or never had it to begin with. I do believe that Jaguar had a design problem early on, but has now somehow gotten it figured out at the factory. The issue, as discussed many times before, is whether or not your dealer is competant at doing the fix(es) that Jaguar has come up with for cars delivered with the problem.

That being said, there is not a car on the planet, no matter how much it costs, that doesn't occasionally have a squeek or a rattle, especially after a few thousand miles. Different temperatures at different times of the year in different climates will cause expansion and contraction of adjacent parts causing some noises. Some people can ignore these and others can't--personally this is not a deal killer for me.

The following users liked this post:
Brutal (08-24-2011)
Old 08-23-2011, 11:55 PM

This is my second car replaced by Jaguar also. They were both tried to be fixed by my dealer a few times but the popping only came back after a short time. Now my service advisor told me the Engineer from Jaguar looked at it and they have a fix, only the parts won't be in until mid October .
I don't know if I have the patience after about six or so trips to the dealer for a annoying, embarrassing and a feeling of unsafety due to shifting glass is worth it.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:14 AM

I am curious about the cause. I have read the symptom repeatedly but never been clear on the diagnosis.

Now I read about the 'glass shifting'. Which glass is this? Windshield? Roof?

Old 08-24-2011, 11:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jaguar Not Standing Behind Their Cars

I am having the dealer look at the car again,the rear window glass is moving and that seems to be one of the areas that is making sounds

Last edited by cbras9; 08-24-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:56 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by HouTexJag
[...]there is not a car on the planet, no matter how much it costs, that doesn't occasionally have a squeek or a rattle, especially after a few thousand miles.
With all due respect, I have to disagree. I have a 2007 LS-460 with 30,000 miles on it, and it is as quiet and rattle-free as when I took delivery of it. In fact it's even quieter now that the engine is broken in. But even with the rattles, the XJ is still in my list to fill my 3rd garage spot. I just hope the 2012 model has this issue resolved once and for all. Wishful thinking?

Old 08-24-2011, 02:59 PM

I've had BMWs, Mercedes, and other Jags that never rattled and popped. The only car I ever owned that rattled was a 91 corvette convertible.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:58 PM

I will make you a super deal on this car it is supercharged

Old 08-24-2011, 09:49 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by jcamp
I've had BMWs, Mercedes, and other Jags that never rattled and popped. The only car I ever owned that rattled was a 91 corvette convertible.
Not even a little leather-to-leather squeek after leaving it out in the baking sun? Sorry, hard to believe. I had an '07 Maserati QP that had an annoying rattle coming from the passenger side of the dash that they could never fix--just had to turn up the radio. Like I said, just not a deal killer for me if I really enjoy the other aspects of the car. And yes, I have owned 2 Lexus LSXXX's and they both had a few noises, albeit very minor, but they were not very fun to drive.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:11 AM

"I have owned 2 Lexus LSXXX's and they both had a few noises, albeit very minor, but they were not very fun to drive."

That's an understatement. I've driven the new LS a few times, and an RX regularly. They are about as much fun to drive as a tricycle. They are reliable as he** though, and their maint costs are shockingly low (compared to MB, BMW, etc). They are much more "sustainable" luxury cars, I could see owning one of them for 100K+ miles.

Assuming you don't fall asleep and perish in a fireball, that is. They are so boring to drive, you honestly feel like you could take a nap in the driver's seat and the car would probably still get you there.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:13 PM

Let's all get a petition going sign it nag get Jaguar to act.
I was also thinking of reporting the car to Nation highway safety.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:35 PM

I think the moving rear glass would be a safety issue

Quick Reply: who still has roof popping issues?