XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Winged headrests

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 03:53 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Winged headrests

Hi.

I want to change my default headrests to the winged ones like those - https://a.d-cd.net/VSAAAgOehOA-960.jpg
I have red here that it's impossible to remove the electrically adjusted headrests ( the ones I have ) - https://www.jaguar.co.uk/Images/XJ_O...634-550463.pdf
Note: It is not possible to remove the electric front head restraints.

Does anyone know if it's still possible to do somehow?

Old 10-10-2018, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

I was not aware that it was impossible to remove the headrests? As far as I know the internal design has not changed significantly in the last 15 years. You just remove the seat back, and then yank hard to pull out of the green plastic clips on the adjustment carriage whilst supporting it with your other hand so it is not forced with it. Then when loose depress the locking latch (hidden, on the front-facing side of the female shaft/guide) and pull them clean out the top. The rears are even easier because you can access them just by tilting the seat backs forward. If you have the video screens you need to unplug the harness.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
X351-headrest.pdf (386.3 KB, 117 views)
Old 10-10-2018, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by xdave
I was not aware that it was impossible to remove the headrests? As far as I know the internal design has not changed significantly in the last 15 years. You just remove the seat back, and then yank hard to pull out of the green plastic clips on the adjustment carriage whilst supporting it with your other hand so it is not forced with it. Then when loose depress the locking latch (hidden, on the front-facing side of the female shaft/guide) and pull them clean out the top. The rears are even easier because you can access them just by tilting the seat backs forward. If you have the video screens you need to unplug the harness.
Hey.
Thanks for your reply.
That works for normal headrests, with no electrical adjustments.
Mine are electrical ( vertical movement ), so I can't stick them out, also there are no latches to get them out. The manual says that you can't take them out.
You can see on this picture that there is no latch to detach them - https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a..._35_09_pro.jpg

Old 10-10-2018, 08:37 AM
Veteran Member

AFAIK all the front headrests on X351s are electrically adjusted. The actual parts involved haven't changed much if at all since the S-Type facelift was launched. That photo you linked to is actually my car, where I replaced the original headrests with the winged style when I added the video screens.

The latch is inside the seat - you need to remove the seat back to gain access to it.

Have a read of the PDF document I attached with my reply - it shows how to do it with pictures of each step.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:46 AM

AFAIK all the front headrests on X351s are electrically adjusted. The actual parts involved haven't changed much if at all since the S-Type facelift was launched. That photo you linked to is actually my car, where I replaced the original headrests with the winged style when I added the video screens.

The latch is inside the seat - you need to remove the seat back to gain access to it.

Have a read of the PDF document I attached with my reply - it shows how to do it with pictures of each step.
I see now. Thanks a lot for your help. Will try to take them out soon.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:41 AM

BTW, do you still have those videos available?
Also, what is your impression of the these winged headrests? I had the winged ones in BMW and they are day-and-light difference compared to my normal one that I currently have in my XJ.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member

I prefer the winged ones. With the wings extended it feels like laying on a pillow. With the wings pushed back they are softer than the earlier style too which where very firm.

Originally Posted by lolshto
BTW, do you still have those videos available?
I am not sure what videos you are referring to here?

Old 10-10-2018, 10:37 AM
Received 179 Likes on 116 Posts

I prefer the winged ones. With the wings extended it feels like laying on a pillow. With the wings pushed back they are softer than the earlier style too which where very firm.

I am not sure what videos you are referring to here?
Maybe misread your post about adding video screens to the headrests?

Old 10-11-2018, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by christ
Maybe misread your post about adding video screens to the headrests?
Exactly

Old 10-22-2018, 04:57 AM

Hey. My winged headrests have finally arrived and now I need to replace them. The PDF file you sent is a great reference, but it seems I need to take out the entire seat to get the access to the motor assembly.
Do I really need to take out the seat entirely? Did it take a lot of your time? I also have the back winged headrests with no electrical adjustments, so hopefully it will be an easier thing to do.

Old 10-22-2018, 06:09 AM
Veteran Member

It is easier if you remove the seat base bolts so you can access the screws on the side pieces, but you don't need to unplug them or remove them from the car (just rocking them forward is enough), and you will need the power connected so you can adjust the seat back down after removing all the trims to make removing/inserting the headrests easier (otherwise you'll hit the roof). There is one bolt at the front and one at the rear on both rails for each seat (I recall the rear being a hex bolt and the front being a star, but it has been a while so you ought to check you have the right tools in advance!)

Do remember to support the green plastic carrier firmly when pulling the headrest stems out of their clips. You don't want to damage the mechanism. When reassembling the catch for the trays, if equipped, they do not tighten up fully - you screw them in and out until you get a nice firm latch.

With the manual rears you can probably just pull them out, but tilting the seat back forward is a tool-less task if you do need access.

When I did my front headrests it was to add the rear seat entertainment option at the same time so I had to disassemble the seat to get the extra wiring harness in. Just doing the headrests along should take about 20-30 minutes each side.

Old 10-22-2018, 07:21 AM

It is easier if you remove the seat base bolts so you can access the screws on the side pieces, but you don't need to unplug them or remove them from the car (just rocking them forward is enough), and you will need the power connected so you can adjust the seat back down after removing all the trims to make removing/inserting the headrests easier (otherwise you'll hit the roof). There is one bolt at the front and one at the rear on both rails for each seat (I recall the rear being a hex bolt and the front being a star, but it has been a while so you ought to check you have the right tools in advance!)

Do remember to support the green plastic carrier firmly when pulling the headrest stems out of their clips. You don't want to damage the mechanism. When reassembling the catch for the trays, if equipped, they do not tighten up fully - you screw them in and out until you get a nice firm latch.

With the manual rears you can probably just pull them out, but tilting the seat back forward is a tool-less task if you do need access.

When I did my front headrests it was to add the rear seat entertainment option at the same time so I had to disassemble the seat to get the extra wiring harness in. Just doing the headrests along should take about 20-30 minutes each side.
Thanks a lot for your help.
I'll take it next week to my mechanic and let him to do it. I am more than sure that I would screw it up. I'll print out the reference sheet you attached.
Ones again thanks for your great support.

Old 11-02-2018, 11:08 AM
Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Did this ever work out? I am curious of the results!

Old 11-05-2018, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by dmchao
Did this ever work out? I am curious of the results!
It turned out that the ones I bought have different color, so I need to alter them.
Should be done in about a week.

Old 11-19-2018, 01:40 PM

How did it go?

Old 11-26-2018, 06:21 AM

I ordered a new leather ( exactly the same as mine ) from Jaguar and need to wait for it to arrive and then headrests will be altered finally. It turned out they are wrong color and wrong leather type.
They will be like brand new, but it turned out to be very costly - 560 euro were the headrests and 600 euro for new leather and to alter them.
Plus the assembly. So it would totally cost me around 1200 euro. Quite expensive, but I hope it's worth it, since I am trying to build a perfect XJ.

Old 11-08-2023, 04:49 PM

I may have sourced 2 front seat winged headrests. Does anyone know if there is any seat differences between model years that would lend itself to 2013+ MY not fitting in my 2012?

I think I have found some on a 2013 XJL, but on Jaguar parts finders, it looks like 2013-2019 there is a "comfort" pack with winged headrests that claim won't fit 2012 MY. The 2012 Supersport appeared to have the winged headrests only offered in the back for the comfort pack.

Last edited by dmchao; 11-09-2023 at 12:03 PM.
Old 11-25-2023, 04:09 PM

Just coming back to update here. As XDave mentioned on his RSE retrofit (many thanks for documenting this, xDave!) the seat chassis is largely the same. I do not think the seat backs are compatible between the quilted and others, but the headrests are all the same for all modern x351.

I called the dealer to ask the question, and they said 2013+ would not fit.
I'm happy to report it will. In order, use an allen key to remove the tray latches if you have them. Next, pop off the seat backs which use retention clips (easy to remove/replace). You don't need to remove the bottom, then remove 4 T25 bolts holding the trays in, carefully avoiding scratches. Next, carefully "pop" the headrests out of the green holders. I found it helpful to raise the headrests just a little bit from the bottom range of motion to allow for more finger clearance. I used a trim tool to leverage the metal seat back and the green holders. In the 2nd picture you can see what it held in place by the green rests of the motor. Other forums suggested yanking with both hands, I found that to be cumbersome and inconsistent. I went one side at a time, first doing the left hand side and moving it out of the way (if you pop it and leave it in place, when you go to do the opposite side, the plastic motor bracket will flex back into place and pop the previously removed side back in. Careful not to break these, but there was enough flex to carefully move it out of the way. Then after both are freed, recline your seat and replace with the replacement headrest. Support the green bracket with your hand and pop both sides into place again. Reverse the instructions and you are done.