XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

XJ 5 LTR even bank not firing

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 07:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XJ 5 LTR even bank not firing

AA report

We have arranged for a recovery of your vehicle.Patrol found the following fault code/s:System : Engine control - 1S9 / PanPag 1.0 Status :P0106 - Intake manifold pressure sensor/ atmospheric pressure sensor. Error Message : Malfunction. Historical fault. Status :P0302 - Cylinder 2. Error Message : Malfunction. Error sporadic. Status :P0304 - Cylinder 4. Error Message : Malfunction. Error sporadic. Status :P0306 - Cylinder 6. Error Message : Malfunction. Error sporadic. Status :P0308 - Cylinder 8. Error Message : Malfunction. Error sporadic. Status :P0300 - Random/multiple cylinders. Error Message : Malfunction. Error sporadic. Status :P0316 - Misfiring detected during the first 1000 starting revolutions. Error Message : Malfunction. Error sporadic.Had loss of power and white smoke/fuel vapour coming out of exhaust.Cleared fault codes and cranked over fails to start with smell of fuel.

Can anybody please advise?

Old 11-15-2017, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,132 Likes on 3,379 Posts

Loss of power + white exhaust vapor = water contaminated fuel = blown head gasket = no compression = won't start.

At a minimum, maybe worse. Just my guess. Hope I'm wrong.

Old 11-15-2017, 09:19 AM
Received 170 Likes on 160 Posts

Coming up to a red light in Chicago back in the seventies, I saw a black BMW diesel sitting there, it changed to green and I took my foot off the brake and stopped slowing. When the BMW started to move it put out white fog so thick when I rolled into it, I couldn't see the road anymore let alone anything around me. It was like rolling into the twilight zone. I've never seen anything like it before or since.

Old 11-15-2017, 09:49 AM
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Originally Posted by L Bower
AA report

We have arranged for a recovery of your vehicle.Patrol found the following fault code/s:System : Engine control - 1S9 / PanPag 1.0 Status :P0106 - Intake manifold pressure sensor/ atmospheric pressure sensor. Error Message : Malfunction. Historical fault. Status :P0302 - Cylinder 2. Error Message : Malfunction. Error sporadic. Status :P0304 - Cylinder 4. Error Message : Malfunction. Error sporadic. Status :P0306 - Cylinder 6. Error Message : Malfunction. Error sporadic. Status :P0308 - Cylinder 8. Error Message : Malfunction. Error sporadic. Status :P0300 - Random/multiple cylinders. Error Message : Malfunction. Error sporadic. Status :P0316 - Misfiring detected during the first 1000 starting revolutions. Error Message : Malfunction. Error sporadic.Had loss of power and white smoke/fuel vapour coming out of exhaust.Cleared fault codes and cranked over fails to start with smell of fuel.

Can anybody please advise?
Could be a number of different things, such as bore wash from stuck injector(s).

Best place to begin a diagnosis is with a compression test.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,212 Likes on 1,752 Posts

Maybe post some back ground on the problem?
Miles on engine, What where you doing when it happened, Gradual or immediate problem?
Checked the oil and water yet?
But I think the others are right. Whatever it is it's not good!
But let us know more if you can.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XJ 5 LTR even bank not firing

Thanks for your messages. The car is in the garage E&E services Milton Keynes, excellent garage. They have told me that the injectors on this bank have all stuck fully open hence the rather rough running and the strong smell of fuel. They are going to change all eight of the injectors and the spark plugs and hope that the catalytic converter has not been effected. To answer somebody elses question, the car has done 51K and had just been accelerated rather hard for a very short spell. The garage has not reported any issue with water in the oil etc.