XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Is the XJ(L) an attention magnet, or what?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 10:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts
Default Is the XJ(L) an attention magnet, or what?

I often cover up my cars during the hot California summer/fall days as I park at my regular, upscale hotel and walk across the street to my work location. The car is very prominently parked by the front entrance of the hotel open for unobstructed side/front/back viewing.

Today, I left the cover off due to a threat of rain. When I walked into the dining room for dinner two men walked up to me, raving about the looks of the car. Soon, other diners, men and women, young and even an older distinguished-looking couple, overheard the conversation and chimed-in with their admiration, how gorgeous and special the car looked and that they've never seen one before. Soon, I felt like celebrity standing in the dining room, surrounded by questioning people, explaining various details about the car, about its performance options, aluminum construction, interior features and, of course, its superior looks over the competition.

I had owned some rather nice cars in the past, including my other present Jaguar, a gorgeous, Emerald Fire '08 XK. I am used to of people admiring my cars. I maybe wrong but, I feel that my XJL is getting more positive attention than just about anything I'd driven before. It is indeed a very special exercise in styling, making a huge luxury sedan look sexy, sleek and sophisticated. Not an easy task but, exceedingly well done.

Today was only a single example for the attention the car has been drawing. Am I the only one noticing this much positive reactions from total strangers?

Albert

The following 5 users liked this post by axr6:
AyyVlogs (04-07-2018), jagxk2008 (07-31-2013), MidloJag (04-27-2013), retriever-007 (08-17-2015), reyesfam (04-24-2018)
Old 10-12-2012, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

No, that's normal.
Have had similar experiences with my XF. I had a family surrounding my car one day at work, as the son was showing his parents some features inside the car. That's all i could make out from afar.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:17 PM
Received 170 Likes on 140 Posts

Mine has the same effect over here, they are still a rare sight on the roads and I get an amazing amount of favourable comments, people really do love it !!

Old 10-12-2012, 05:10 PM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Yes people are curious. I get asked if it's a Masserati or an Aston Martin quite often.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

I'm convinced people buy Jags because of the exquisite styling that the public also notices. Did all that attention make you forget about the harsh ride for a moment? Hopefully it helps!

Bruce

Old 10-12-2012, 09:44 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a white XJL supercharged, and it gets looks at almost every stoplight, every day. It's kind of weird, but I try to be gracious about it

The following 2 users liked this post by depeche:
DjiXas (04-02-2013), retriever-007 (08-17-2015)
Old 10-12-2012, 09:51 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine is a 97 and people still go crazy about it. Somethin bout a Jaguar :-)

Old 10-13-2012, 12:06 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
I'm convinced people buy Jags because of the exquisite styling that the public also notices. Did all that attention make you forget about the harsh ride for a moment? Hopefully it helps!

Bruce
For those moments, yes. Then, this afternoon I was reminded during the last of my 3 hours freeway drive. For the first 2 hours I was thinking, like: "not TOO bad, I can live with this ride". Then, about 2 hours into the drive it just wore at me again. It is really unacceptable for a car like this. I've been driving my XK over the very same roads for years with no complaint. At the least, I expected the XJL to have as good a ride as the XK.

Just filled out the Jaguar factory satisfaction survey. I gave the car very high marks in every aspect, except the ride. I asked the factory to provide me with the information regarding the announced 2013 changes in the suspension settings. It is simply not right to have a car, such as that loaner Hyundai Sonata ride significantly better than my XJL!

Albert

The following users liked this post:
DjiXas (04-02-2013)
Old 10-13-2012, 12:27 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just a suggestion :-) buy 3 or 4 or 10 sonatas for what u gave for the Jaguar..........or 1 sonata and lots of cuban cigars and join the hyundai forum. Jus sayin :-)

Old 10-13-2012, 04:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

I can also verify that . My Jaguar gets more looks and views than other cars I have ever driven . I notice chicks turn their heads , little kids yell out hey that's a Jaguar lol

AyyVlogs (04-07-2018)
Old 10-13-2012, 11:18 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I can confirm that this car is a look-attraction. I have even experienced other drivers doing "bizarre" things, like overtaking, then braking and letting me pass again, repeating the manouvre... and then, after swearing for their strange behavior, just realizing that they were, simply, looking at the car on the motorway!

And when driving slowly through an European city... better not to be shy, because you become immediately the focus of attention.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:23 PM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

C'mon guys. You all knew that
Got a lot of compliments from strangers. But than, when I had the Mercedes CLS just when it came out, it was the same.
We all love it, or we wouldn't drive a car like this. We are car nuts. Emphasis on "nuts".

The following 2 users liked this post by gears:
AyyVlogs (04-07-2018), Deecutts360 (03-01-2013)
Old 10-18-2012, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

since im 25 and driving a brand new XJ....i get a lot stares aside from normal on lookers....but ive been driving Jags since i was 18....so im used to it by now

but its definitely me that grabs the attention when i pull up to a gas station or a store...in the XJ....while wearing gym shorts and flip flops like a total bum

The following 2 users liked this post by carzaddict:
AyyVlogs (04-07-2018), DjiXas (04-02-2013)
Old 10-18-2012, 10:51 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by axr6
For those moments, yes. Then, this afternoon I was reminded during the last of my 3 hours freeway drive. For the first 2 hours I was thinking, like: "not TOO bad, I can live with this ride". Then, about 2 hours into the drive it just wore at me again. It is really unacceptable for a car like this. I've been driving my XK over the very same roads for years with no complaint. At the least, I expected the XJL to have as good a ride as the XK.

Just filled out the Jaguar factory satisfaction survey. I gave the car very high marks in every aspect, except the ride. I asked the factory to provide me with the information regarding the announced 2013 changes in the suspension settings. It is simply not right to have a car, such as that loaner Hyundai Sonata ride significantly better than my XJL!

Albert
Albert,

I am curious as to what is wrong with the ride quality?
I feel it should be slightly firmer/stiffer with minimal body roll (dynamic mode helps quite a bit).

The car is a looker. I get compliments/stares all the time but strangely, women never pay attention to XJ.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by f1champ
Albert,

I am curious as to what is wrong with the ride quality?
I feel it should be slightly firmer/stiffer with minimal body roll (dynamic mode helps quite a bit).

The car is a looker. I get compliments/stares all the time but strangely, women never pay attention to XJ.
Since I've been involved in discussions regarding the ride issue in two other threads on this very forum, let me just refer you to the one that is dedicated to this issue. If you wish to contribute to the subject please post it there for further discussions.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...cussion-82411/

Albert

Albert

Old 10-18-2012, 01:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I fell for the Jaguar brand due to the sheer beauty of the XJ, I used to be a Lexus loyalist, now I'm a Jag guy. The first time I examined an XJ up close, I was driving down the road & I suddenly spotted a black XJL parked on the opposite side of the street in front of a Chevy dealer. I immediately sped up, made a U-turn & parked on the opposite street & got out to check the XJ.
Once I saw a black RR Ghost going down the road, surprisingly it didn't have any real presence & my girlfriend said it looked like a bus, a bit later a white XJL went past & immediately that had more road presence, though my girlfriend didn't like the XJ either.

AyyVlogs (04-07-2018)
Old 10-18-2012, 03:23 PM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Mine is all black, super tinted windows and all the lights and side markers are blacked out... so I get a LOT of attention - from Police. When they pull me over. At night. They find a reason. I've never gotten a ticket though. It does look like a drug dealers car. I wish I would have kept my white one. :-( Anyone wanna trade?

Old 10-18-2012, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by New2Jag
Mine is all black, super tinted windows and all the lights and side markers are blacked out... so I get a LOT of attention - from Police. When they pull me over. At night. They find a reason. I've never gotten a ticket though. It does look like a drug dealers car. I wish I would have kept my white one. :-( Anyone wanna trade?
Now, that is funny. Guess, not so much for you .

Albert

Old 10-19-2012, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by New2Jag
lol i get that same problem with my current blacked out 2005 cadillac sts on 22's. cops pull me over almost every other day. excuse they give me is to check that i am sober or insured. the last cop that pulled me over, i told him i was gonna switch it up for the new xjl and he laughed and said i must be looking to make friends with cops because i am always trying to drive flashy vehicles at a young age. funny thing is he has 2012 xf and he wanted to get the xj but his wife convinced him to save the money instead.

AyyVlogs (04-07-2018)
Old 10-19-2012, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by Lexusboy
I fell for the Jaguar brand due to the sheer beauty of the XJ, I used to be a Lexus loyalist, now I'm a Jag guy. The first time I examined an XJ up close, I was driving down the road & I suddenly spotted a black XJL parked on the opposite side of the street in front of a Chevy dealer. I immediately sped up, made a U-turn & parked on the opposite street & got out to check the XJ.
Once I saw a black RR Ghost going down the road, surprisingly it didn't have any real presence & my girlfriend said it looked like a bus, a bit later a white XJL went past & immediately that had more road presence, though my girlfriend didn't like the XJ either.
thats funny your in toronto as well, and i see more lambos and Bentleys and maybachs in the city than i do the Jag xjl. i am lucky if i see one once every 3 months on the road. but that is also the reason i love the car so much and trying to get one by early to mid next year.

AyyVlogs (04-07-2018)

Quick Reply: Is the XJ(L) an attention magnet, or what?