XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Xj portfolio 2010 Supension for softer ride

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 05:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xj portfolio 2010 Supension for softer ride

Hi every one
My first time with Jaguar . i just bought the Jaguar XJ portfolio 2010 .v6 3.0 . i love the look and every thing but the only thing that not realy in my taste is the stiff ride of it. Its quite jiggling over bump and bad road surface and it doesnt feel like its a luxury car. I more of a soft and pillow ride person. And i dont realy look to change to any other car. So please if any one here could give any advice of any thing to change to make the ride softer ... like change supension , coils , spring .... or if you know any garage in some where in or near London can do the job .
Any advice will be very thankful

Old 05-11-2017, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

What size wheels are on it ?

Low profile tyres on large diameter wheels look good, but give a rather harsh ride. If you can fit 18" then do so, as the tyres will be "fatter" and give a better ride .However don't think you'll get the old Jaguar Boulevard Ride, you won't ! For that you need 15 or 16" wheels with 60 or 70 aspect ratio. Trouble is the bigger brakes on current models mean these won't fit.

Old 05-11-2017, 03:58 PM

Thankyoy very much for your advice .
Its a portfolio model so i believe its 19 inches . but
Are there any other way to deal with it , like change spring , shock , supension ... rather than change tyre . because i really like the look the car with nice and big wheels . and also im worry that changing tyre can be improve abit but not totally get what i want . sory im odd but i prefer soft pillowy ride . and light steering too . that give me more relax in the car

Old 05-11-2017, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 413 Posts

V6s were first introduced in 2013. as for ride it is firm, The best ride is achieved by running the recommended tire pressure that is on the sticker in the drivers door jam. Running less pressure will result in a bouncy ride as Jaguar calibrates the shocks to give the best ride at recommenced tire pressure.

Old 05-11-2017, 04:17 PM

Thankyou for reply .
I tried to lower tyre pressure down to 29 , 28 ish but i dont feel any different . i ve got low profile tyre so i dont want to get the tyre too inflated . and also it does make steering abit heavyer and less respond at very low speed

Old 05-11-2017, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 413 Posts

The lower the pressure the bouncier the ride. If you have 20" wheels the usual recommended pressure is either 32 or 34psi unless ,like me, you have the speed package and then the recommended psi is 39 and I ran 37psi with those tires. I now run the larger tires as fitted the the XJR and run 39psi. Just drove back from Charlotte NC today and the ride was perfect.

Old 05-12-2017, 03:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 219 Posts

I don't want to make anyone mad or anything, but I think it's fair to say that the X351 ride quality is an acquired taste. It does not offer the silky smooth ride of the previous models and, while I adjusted to it, it was the least satisfying aspect of my car when I first purchased it. Tires, and especially proper tire inflation, will give you the best your car has to offer and you'll eventually find that its sporting nature and handling will more than compensate for a somewhat firmer ride.

Dwayne

Old 05-12-2017, 03:17 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by XJsss
V6s were first introduced in 2013
It will be the 3.0 diesel as he's in the UK. These were available from launch.

The following users liked this post:
XJsss (05-12-2017)
Old 05-27-2017, 10:11 AM
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

When I bought my Portfolio Diesel that ran on 20s I had major issues with the ride for about 6 months changed to 19s ride was worse. I regretted buying the car and couldn't understand how the flagship car in the Jaguar range rode so badly.

I had the alignment done a number of times but no luck. It was only when I brought it to another garage and had the alignment done for a final time the car was transformed. It's important if all wheels bushes etc are fine that alignment on these vehicles is done correctly. Most places will just adjust to within manufacturers tolerances and leave it there. The last place I attended spent more time adjusting to as close to factory settings as possible. The smallest of adjustment made a huge difference and I now love how the car rides. Granted you can feel some bumps and road imperfections but I'm happy.