XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

XJ vs. A7 vs. CLS

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 07:53 PM
pwl
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 07-14-2011, 01:27 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I am new to the Forum but have owned Jags since the mid '80's. (Series 3 Sovereign 6, Series 3 Sovereign V12, XJS HE V12 are some).
I couldn't work out the purpose of this thread on a Jaguar Forum until I read some of your previous posts whinging on and on about your problems.
IMO you need to move on Mate.

If you want performance I'll take you for a ride in my 34 GTR. All stock except for an Apexi FC with boost control (running at 1.15 Bar), Apexi cold air inlets and a cat back exhaust. 293 kW (in 4wd) & 480 Nm. All this for $40K.
Stop complaining and buy a Nissan.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:12 AM

See my last post for which I got thoroughly trashed.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:44 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by direng
I am new to the Forum but have owned Jags since the mid '80's. (Series 3 Sovereign 6, Series 3 Sovereign V12, XJS HE V12 are some).
I couldn't work out the purpose of this thread on a Jaguar Forum until I read some of your previous posts whinging on and on about your problems.
IMO you need to move on Mate.

If you want performance I'll take you for a ride in my 34 GTR. All stock except for an Apexi FC with boost control (running at 1.15 Bar), Apexi cold air inlets and a cat back exhaust. 293 kW (in 4wd) & 480 Nm. All this for $40K.
Stop complaining and buy a Nissan.
I completely agree. I would really like the people that are terribly unhappy with their Jaguar to move on, but they keep hanging around and talking trash, so I, for one, will no longer respond to any of their posts.

I'm not talking about those that like their car, but have a legitimate problem and want to discuss how to solve it. That's what forums are all about.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:18 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I know I shouldn't mention this in a Jag forum, but since this thread has all makers, I've seen on you tube the new BMW 6 series and the convertible is a very nice car indeed.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Maybe_XJ
I know I shouldn't mention this in a Jag forum, but since this thread has all makers, I've seen on you tube the new BMW 6 series and the convertible is a very nice car indeed.
6 series doesn't compare to these cars at all.... then again the CLS and A7 are not in the XJ's class either.

We get that you prefer the CLS, why are you still here? MBworld is waiting for you, if you want to compare these cars on performance, why not get an XFR for the same price, heck get a GTR if you want performance.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:26 PM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

What's the point of the videos? To prove people like the CLS? I can show you people that like the Toyota Prius and the Hyundai Equus. How about some links to the awards its won including Design of the year? Bet you can't do that.

Last edited by ExpatJag; 07-16-2011 at 03:39 AM.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

I see no point of these comparisons .
Why do you compare XJ with CLS ? XJ is equivalent to S Class , CLS is based on E Class . Jaguar has no vehicle such as BMW 5 GT , Audi A7 , Mercedes Benz CLS ,VW Passat (I don't know it's model like ) . You see all Germans dominate and build up sport back , cars nowadays .

I kinda like CLS as well , apart from tail lights but XJ should be more desirable car

Old 07-16-2011, 06:44 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The XJ is not in the same class as the CLS, it's competition is the S class, 7series, A8, Panamera, Masarati QP which are bigger more luxurious cars than the CLS. However the fact that people are comparing it to smaller more nimbler cars that are supposed to be at the cutting edge of design is a great compliment to the design of the XJ which won design of the year by the way and the fact that XJ being a much bigger car can keep up performance wise with these smaller vehicles is a great testament to the awesome performance of this car.

I guess since the XJ performace wise pretty much kicks the *** out of every vehicle in it's class (except the turbocharged Panamera which costs almost 2 times what my XJ S/C cost) Motor Trend had to compare it to another Nimbler faster class of vehicles to make it a fair fight.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:05 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

You tell 'em MiaXFsc!!!!!!!!

Old 07-17-2011, 03:24 PM
pwl

Originally Posted by ExpatJag
"Well said Gears. I concur on most of what you said but I don't see where the CLS is sportier comparing stats. And while I disagree on the exterior design comment as while that is completely subjective. My friend traded in his Lexus GS 430 for a CLS 500 because he said though the Lexus was near perfection it just didn't have any character for him. I like the car as well design wise and spent quite of bit of time in it as his road partner and for me it was small. I am 6'3 and frankly just as boring as he said his Lexus was. I actually like the Lexus more but that was really because of all the bells and whistles and I am a nerd at heart. Now don't think I don't have issues with the XJL which I love. The touchscreen blows as far as responsiveness goes. The Navi seems like somebodies leftovers. My 3 year old Garmin Nuvi is better than this GPS. As I said before I completely hated the blackout pillars so I got them repainted to match the color of the car. And I just found out that if I want my parking aid to come in when I am slowly moving forward without pushing the parking aid button I have to go to the dealer to have them enable it. This is just plain stupid. It should be set for that by default. I hit a curb because I was expecting it to come on and it didn't. At the end of the day Gears is right. Every article, every video I have watched on youtube has never compared the XJ to the CLS. It has always been the 7 series, Audi A8, and the S-class."

Actually, it has been compared to the CLS and A7, and came in last. Read for yourself:

2012 Audi A7 vs 2011 Jaguar XJ vs 2012 Mercedes-Benz CLS550 - Comparison - Motor Trend

Not sure why they are comparing them, except maybe they are similar in price (these are all base models), or they have 4 door coupe looks.

For me, XJ ended up being a bit too big (not interior wise, but maneuvering, parking, turning, etc.), too noisy (roof pops and other creaks), too faulty (with electronics, software, etc.), and mostly a bit too "old man". Having been one of the very first buyers, there was no history wiith this model, and they were clearly trying to target younger buyers (as current XJ owners were dying out). Well, after a year now, and judging especially by the comments/posters on this forum, it reamains an old man's car. I bet most of you on here cannot truthfully say you are under 45, right? A few might come back and lie (like the poster who claimed he drove a CLS back in March before he bought his XJ..oh, right, in "germany"), but let's face it - trying to make an old man's car look younger, fooled a few a first, but not in the long run. Doesn't make the XJ bad "overall", but let's not kid ourselves. The XF is the under 45 car...and now they they FIXED the front end lights on the new model, it clearly beats the XJ in exterios design.....if only the interior did not look like cheap crap. After you drive and XJ for a bit, then get into the XF, the XF interior seems very "rental car". Maybe I can come back in my 50's for the XJ, and by then they will have all the kinks worked out, or maybe then they will all be made in India, in which case 'no thanks'.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:24 PM
Wink

I have to agree that it is the most traditional car I have ever owned. Four doors and the very rich interior. But after the new exhaust and the second ECU I should be at about 550HP so I prefer to think of it as a 'young man in disguise.' lol

Old 07-17-2011, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by pwl
"Well said Gears. I concur on most of what you said but I don't see where the CLS is sportier comparing stats. And while I disagree on the exterior design comment as while that is completely subjective. My friend traded in his Lexus GS 430 for a CLS 500 because he said though the Lexus was near perfection it just didn't have any character for him. I like the car as well design wise and spent quite of bit of time in it as his road partner and for me it was small. I am 6'3 and frankly just as boring as he said his Lexus was. I actually like the Lexus more but that was really because of all the bells and whistles and I am a nerd at heart. Now don't think I don't have issues with the XJL which I love. The touchscreen blows as far as responsiveness goes. The Navi seems like somebodies leftovers. My 3 year old Garmin Nuvi is better than this GPS. As I said before I completely hated the blackout pillars so I got them repainted to match the color of the car. And I just found out that if I want my parking aid to come in when I am slowly moving forward without pushing the parking aid button I have to go to the dealer to have them enable it. This is just plain stupid. It should be set for that by default. I hit a curb because I was expecting it to come on and it didn't. At the end of the day Gears is right. Every article, every video I have watched on youtube has never compared the XJ to the CLS. It has always been the 7 series, Audi A8, and the S-class."

Actually, it has been compared to the CLS and A7, and came in last. Read for yourself:

2012 Audi A7 vs 2011 Jaguar XJ vs 2012 Mercedes-Benz CLS550 - Comparison - Motor Trend

Not sure why they are comparing them, except maybe they are similar in price (these are all base models), or they have 4 door coupe looks.

For me, XJ ended up being a bit too big (not interior wise, but maneuvering, parking, turning, etc.), too noisy (roof pops and other creaks), too faulty (with electronics, software, etc.), and mostly a bit too "old man". Having been one of the very first buyers, there was no history wiith this model, and they were clearly trying to target younger buyers (as current XJ owners were dying out). Well, after a year now, and judging especially by the comments/posters on this forum, it reamains an old man's car. I bet most of you on here cannot truthfully say you are under 45, right? A few might come back and lie (like the poster who claimed he drove a CLS back in March before he bought his XJ..oh, right, in "germany"), but let's face it - trying to make an old man's car look younger, fooled a few a first, but not in the long run. Doesn't make the XJ bad "overall", but let's not kid ourselves. The XF is the under 45 car...and now they they FIXED the front end lights on the new model, it clearly beats the XJ in exterios design.....if only the interior did not look like cheap crap. After you drive and XJ for a bit, then get into the XF, the XF interior seems very "rental car". Maybe I can come back in my 50's for the XJ, and by then they will have all the kinks worked out, or maybe then they will all be made in India, in which case 'no thanks'.
Dude, didn't you sell your car? Why are you still here. First I am 40. Second the comparison with the A7 and CLS just happened and it was a non supercharged model while the rest were. The fact of the matter is they were all compared because they all have the coupe like appearance and CLS did not create this category they just brought it back. Google it. And they took the base model because if they went up on both of the other cars would have gotten their butts kick. At the end of the day they compared cars that are not comparable. You might as well compare a Ford Fiesta and a Porsche 911 because they both have two doors. And seeing that kids and young guys for that matter keep coming up to my car plus having a young valet guy tell me my car is beautiful kill any argument about it being an old mans car. But lets just say it is, well its an old guys car that all the young guys like period.

After saying all of that I don't understand why you are still here. Most everyone has tried to be polite to you and we understand you dont like the car and were unhappy. Jaguar does not own this forum. I have been to there facebook page and still have not since one post from you, so while you are all brave enough to post unnecessary crap here you are scared to go do it where it matters. Have some dignity.

Last edited by ExpatJag; 07-18-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:56 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Expatjag it won't be too long before the honeymoon for PWL with his first year production early VIN CLS will be over and he will be over at MB forums bitching about it.

That CLS will remember it's a mercedes sooner or later.

PWL in my opinion the perfect car for you is a Lexus. If it's perfection you seek look no further.

Old 07-17-2011, 05:32 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

He is not worth replying to....... This is a bitter person and not just about his car. The CLS's are at the dealer pwl. Where is yours. And don't call me a lier you little priss.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:41 PM

Actually one of the things that has been a total surprise and rather ironic is that kids know this car before the older adults.

Kids wave at me on the freeway and come up to me in parking lots because they've read about the XJ and never seen one. And 20 somethings all want to get in and check it out.

I am beginning to believe that the older crowd is unaware or not open to how amazing a car this really is.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:31 PM
pwl

Dude, didn't you sell your car? Why are you still here. First I am 40. Second the comparison with the A7 and CLS just happened and it was a non supercharged model while the rest were. The fact of the matter is they were all compared because they all have the coupe like appearance and CLS did not create this category they just brought it back. Google it. And they took the base model because if they went up on both of the other cars would have gotten their butts kick. At the end of the day they compared cars that are not comparable. You might as well compare a Ford Fiesta and a Porsche 911 because they both have two doors. And seeing that kids and young guys for that matter keep coming up to my car plus having a young valet guy tell me my car is beautiful kill any argument about it being an old mans car. But lets just say it is, well its an old guys car that all the young guys like period.

After saying all of that I don't understand why you are still here. Most everyone has tried to be polite to you and we understand you dont like the car and were unhappy. Jaguar does not own this forum. I have been to there facebook page and still have not since one post from you, so while you are all brave enough to post unnecessary crap here you are scared to go do it where it matters. Have some dignity.
I'm posting my opinion on the XJ because i have an XJ....i say good things and bad....problem with you and others is you see any criticism of your car as impuning your character and you want to then attack the poster. Get some dignity yourself, to use your words, and better yet don't measure your character by the car you drive. I would hope Jaguar would embrace criticism and work to improve their products. And I think expecting a car to have no ridiculous roof noises is a more than reasonable expectation at any price level.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:39 PM
pwl

Originally Posted by Jffcurt
He is not worth replying to....... This is a bitter person and not just about his car. The CLS's are at the dealer pwl. Where is yours. And don't call me a lier you little priss.
A guess someone who expects a $90,000 car to not have a squeaky/creaky roof is a bitter person, aren't they. Maybe you inhertied your money and don't value it, but I work hard for a living (and enjoy doing so), and I expect a $90,000 to not have such a fundamental structural flaw like this. AMGs are not at the dealer yet, so it gives me time to look at teh maseratti now, but actally thinking ragtop now....I like the XK (and not roof issues!), but the back seats are so small.

Let's see if you reply and prove I am worth it after all.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:41 PM
pwl

Originally Posted by Dochands
Actually one of the things that has been a total surprise and rather ironic is that kids know this car before the older adults.

Kids wave at me on the freeway and come up to me in parking lots because they've read about the XJ and never seen one. And 20 somethings all want to get in and check it out.

I am beginning to believe that the older crowd is unaware or not open to how amazing a car this really is.
What midwest town are you living in?

Old 07-18-2011, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by pwl
I'm posting my opinion on the XJ because i have an XJ....i say good things and bad....problem with you and others is you see any criticism of your car as impuning your character and you want to then attack the poster. Get some dignity yourself, to use your words, and better yet don't measure your character by the car you drive. I would hope Jaguar would embrace criticism and work to improve their products. And I think expecting a car to have no ridiculous roof noises is a more than reasonable expectation at any price level.
Nobody would probably mind if you were actually trying to discuss the good and bad points of the XJ but you stop doing that a long time ago. And my character is measure by the fact that I am an American Soldier who has deployed to Afghanistan and had some his friends killed yet still believe in the freedom and democracy our country has to offer. And as far as Jaguar embracing criticism I say again this is not THEIR site. I will repeat again I contacted Jaguar directly with my concerns about their product because I want them to help them build a better product. If that was your original goal it stopped being that along time ago.

Quick Reply: XJ vs. A7 vs. CLS