XJ XJ12 ( X305 ) 1995 - 1997

95 xj12

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 05:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 95 xj12

Hello. I have recently purchased a 95 xj12 and would like any help on some issues with the car. When running I can smell gas in the engine compartment but don't see any wet spots where there may be a leak. Any recommendations on shocks. I'd like to get the ride stiffened up a bit. Any advice on to get a little more performance from the motor (intake/exaust) modifications. And when opening the sun roof when it is open it automatically shuts (won't stay open) and any advice anyone can give about the cars.

Old 09-29-2017, 04:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 733 Likes on 469 Posts

Welcome to our addiction.

Be patient when asking questions on the X305 forum as it gets very little traffic. Read through all the old posts on this forum as there is a wealth of information regarding your car. The X300 and X27 sites have relevant information also.

1) Gas smell is from gas leaking somewhere. I smell no gas on mine. It has to be wet somewhere if you smell it.
2) I replaced my shocks with Monroe but they are more like a stock ride. When replacing the shocks replace the shock bushings at the same time.
3) AJ Engineering has the goods to wake up your V-12.
4) Do a search on "sun roof" and enough threads will come up to resolve your issue. I suspect it is related to the stop sensor but for sure you are not the first to have this happen. I've had this issue but cannot for the life of me remember what it was other than it was a simple fix.

We are going to need a picture of your new ride. Just so we can get our car **** fix.

Last edited by 1 of 19; 09-29-2017 at 04:24 AM. Reason: cause I can
Old 09-29-2017, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by 1 of 19
Welcome to our addiction.

Be patient when asking questions on the X305 forum as it gets very little traffic. Read through all the old posts on this forum as there is a wealth of information regarding your car. The X300 and X27 sites have relevant information also.

1) Gas smell is from gas leaking somewhere. I smell no gas on mine. It has to be wet somewhere if you smell it.
2) I replaced my shocks with Monroe but they are more like a stock ride. When replacing the shocks replace the shock bushings at the same time.
3) AJ Engineering has the goods to wake up your V-12.
4) Do a search on "sun roof" and enough threads will come up to resolve your issue. I suspect it is related to the stop sensor but for sure you are not the first to have this happen. I've had this issue but cannot for the life of me remember what it was other than it was a simple fix.

We are going to need a picture of your new ride. Just so we can get our car **** fix.

There she is. It need some work but it will all be addressed in time.

Old 09-30-2017, 04:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 733 Likes on 469 Posts

Just what a proper XJ should look like. Notice how when viewing there is no doubt it's a Jag.
Unlike today's XJ's.

Old 09-30-2017, 02:25 PM
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi, lovely looking jag you have. Mine also has a strong fuel smell! I think it's coming from a leak in the exhaust before the cats but I've also read about vent hoses/valves becoming blocked from the fuel tank and carbon canister. Good luck and please post any findings you have

Marc

Old 09-30-2017, 09:20 PM
Default fue

Originally Posted by Marc-XJ12
Hi, lovely looking jag you have. Mine also has a strong fuel smell! I think it's coming from a leak in the exhaust before the cats but I've also read about vent hoses/valves becoming blocked from the fuel tank and carbon canister. Good luck and please post any findings you have

Marc
fuel leak) I found my leak.. It was coming from the passenger side fuel rail. The feed line came loose. I tighten it up and all good now

Old 11-15-2018, 01:58 AM
Default dead xj12.

my car has been in the shop for 2 months. The mechanic said it was the fuel pumps. They replaced them and it started but ran rough. Put new plugs in them still no change. He said I probably have bad gas in it. Now something keeps shorting out so it won't start. They can't find the problem so they took off all the parts and calling it a wash.. Someone please help. I'm going to put pumps in it from there where do I start to get my baby back on the road

Old 11-16-2018, 02:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 976 Likes on 662 Posts
Default Not dead, just dormant

Ok Mr. Wizard, we can go to work on waking up your Topaz baby. Just need some magic dust.

We will want to take appropriate steps based on what we know. So, tell us as much as you can about what happened.

1. What were the original symptoms that brought you to the mechanics?
2. Did the mechanics finally drain the old gas and put good gas in it?
3. Does the engine crank over now, or not?
4. Do you think the battery is still good? At this point you might need a new one.

By the time the fuel pumps are installed again, we can have a good understanding of how to proceed. This thread can be a starting point.

Two months is a long time to wait for your car to be fixed. Especially when its not really getting fixed.