XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2004 XJ8 - Transmission Swap Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 03:51 PM
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Default 2004 XJ8 - Transmission Swap Question

Over the past year the torque converter clutch engagement has become increasingly erratic in my 2004 XJ8 with 155k miles. Last Saturday I purchased a used 6HP26 from a supercharged S-Type R that had 80k miles on it. Included in the sale was the torque converter. After getting the unit home I realized that the torque converter looks different from the one in my XJ8 NA. Does anybody know off-hand what the differences are between the 6HP26 STR build and the XJ8 Base NA unit. Perhaps a higher stall? I'm just wondering if it would really matter if I just went ahead and swapped it into my XJ8. I'd likely reset the shift adapts anyway. Perhaps I should swap over the TCM / mechatronic unit from my old transmission? Any advice would be appreciated. I only paid 400 dollars for the used trans, I'd like to try to make it work. Ideally I'd like to avoid having to buy the torque converter separately.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:20 PM
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

No takers? I've gone through all of the literature I can think to read. Nothing mentions two different torque converters but a quick search of eBay reveals two torque converter designs. One for S/C models and a smaller one for NA models.

I need to figure out what the difference is.

Old 04-12-2017, 08:18 PM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by pcmos
No takers? I've gone through all of the literature I can think to read. Nothing mentions two different torque converters but a quick search of eBay reveals two torque converter designs. One for S/C models and a smaller one for NA models.

I need to figure out what the difference is.
Two differences between the trans is the TQ and TCM. The trans body is the same. You must use the TQ and TCM from your NA 6hp26 trans.

The SC TQ has a higher stall and will not be compatible with your NA engine and may cause driveability issues down the line.

You might be able to use the TCM if you have the ability to reflash it.

The following users liked this post:
Panthro (01-17-2019)