XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2004 XJR - Source of clunk appears to be the Arnott's Air shocks

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 09:19 PM
Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Lagonia
Looking forward to your analysis! Be careful when you disassemble them. Chain the spring to something solid while disassembling it in case it decides to go. Note you have to have the right tools for this. Loading and unloading automotive springs, done incorrectly, will kill you.
As a guy who removed and installed rear springs with a jack standing on a pry bar on my 2004 GTO 7 years ago I can't stress this enough. I'm definitely lucky I didn't injure myself doing so in the process, but it worked!

Old 11-17-2016, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 315 Likes on 191 Posts
Default Received replacement

I have just received the replacement strut (the one on the left in the pic). First thing I did was to inspect the spring perch and it was indeed put together correctly. I shall be installing it later on today and start putting the car through its paces the next few days.

Old 11-17-2016, 03:27 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default I dont think they're Bilstein...

Just got my order in and did a quick teardown over lunch. I'll post more tonight but here are pics of front units side by side...

The following users liked this post:
Lagonia (11-17-2016)
Old 11-17-2016, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member

They look awfully close though. A lot of times well known manufacturers will sell their un-badged products to third parties at a discount and the third parties slap their own sticker on the products. That is what may be happening here but that is anyone's guess.

What kind of spring compressor did you use to remove the spring from the shock assembly?

Old 11-17-2016, 04:56 PM

Did you catch the spring seat setup being totally different? On the Bilsteins, it's just 2 parts: larger snap ring, and the seat itself. The SM units use that 3 part design with the non reversible ring (that was sadly reversed in your back unit)

I have a nifty strut compressor with hydraulic jack....eBay 100 bucks. But anyone could use the compressor screws from AutoZone for free. You want to talk danger? Try Mercedes springs on the 107.... They have killed many a backyard mechanic. Damm near took me out when I was in my 20s.

BTW...Welds look different too...
But who knows right? More tonight.

Last edited by 04XJR; 11-17-2016 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 04XJR
Did you catch the spring seat setup being totally different? On the Bilsteins, it's just 2 parts: larger snap ring, and the seat itself. The SM units use that 3 part design with the non reversible ring (that was sadly reversed in your back unit)
Yep.

I have a nifty strut compressor with hydraulic jack....eBay 100 bucks.
Pic?

I installed the replacement strut and gave it a whirl. It survived my test drive, which does not say much but at least is hopeful.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:55 PM

Just got my order in and did a quick teardown over lunch. I'll post more tonight but here are pics of front units side by side...

So the Bilsteins are actually black now? I feel special that I got an actual green set.

Old 11-17-2016, 08:11 PM
Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

Are we sure the Strutmaster unit in the picture is a Bilstein, or could it be another brand like Sachs? 04XJR, did the invoice from SM specify?

Old 11-17-2016, 09:47 PM

Bilsteins are made in Germany. Even if generic no label....I think they will still have a made in Germany stamp. My SM units don't state that anywhere. But Lagonia does have a point...could be an off market label thing.

Here is a pic of my strut compressor. Not necessary for this...but I love having it around and it lives in a corner of my cramped...but highly capable garage.

I'm still missing one rear shock @$@#@!!!
So no install till then. Of course I'll keep you guys posted!

Last edited by 04XJR; 11-17-2016 at 10:07 PM.
Lagonia (11-18-2016)
Old 11-17-2016, 10:05 PM

Oh, here is pic of my invoice (private data withheld of course)

Mine makes no mention of brand. SM is not the most consistent company. But I'd take their stuff over Arnott any day.

Old 11-18-2016, 12:30 AM

I will tell you this.... The Bilsteins are much stiffer. ie= harder to push down on, and rebound much quicker. Side by side its a noticable difference. Thats what im looking for, but may not be what others want. They are certainly not the same shock!

More reports when installed!

Old 11-18-2016, 08:45 AM

I will tell you this.... The Bilsteins are much stiffer. ie= harder to push down on, and rebound much quicker. Side by side its a noticable difference. Thats what im looking for, but may not be what others want. They are certainly not the same shock!

More reports when installed!
That sounds more in line with my experience. I've heard a few people say the later SMs are a bit soft based on reviews of their experiences. My setup is a firm ride.

Old 11-18-2016, 12:13 PM

It could be that SM chose to emulate the shock rates for the S type sport suspension and not the R specific units. I'm getting excited, gonna get this whale to handle like I want her to. Cost of the new shocks has delayed the upgrade on the XF aftermarket swaybars a bit, but she will be the perfect sleeper!

Hmm, idea for license plate: catnap.

Last edited by GGG; 11-18-2016 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12-19-2016, 01:27 AM
Default Hybrid conversion update

Can be done with AutoZone free rental spring compressor
Side by side of stock and Bilstein hybrid front units
Strutmasters and Bilstein rear
Was stuck in back to back trials, finally got back to the garage.

Pics of installed units and car ride height to follow.

Been test driving it for about a week. VERY HAPPY! No body sway, bigger sway bars not necessary now.
It's a sport ride, not too harsh, much quicker steering, TOTAL BLAST TO DRIVE! Basically...exactly what I wanted!

High confidence in Bilstein build quality is a nice side effect too

The following 2 users liked this post by 04XJR:
Lagonia (12-19-2016), Panthro (12-22-2016)
Old 12-24-2016, 10:05 AM
Received 126 Likes on 78 Posts

I'm going to go with - those are not Bilsteins. Look at the tapers at the bottom of the shock of the Bilsteins, and the pinch area at the bottom of the generic shock. They would indeed have a number printed on them which crosses with Bilstein numbers and the made in germany - every Bilstein I've seen has this (but I can't say they all do).

It sure looks like strutmasters went to cheaper stuff. I've also not seen Eibach springs that don't have the white Eibach logo printed on them. If they are removed - then they can use anything and say they are Eibach's. BS to me.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:12 AM

Can be done with AutoZone free rental spring compressor
Side by side of stock and Bilstein hybrid front units
Strutmasters and Bilstein rear
Was stuck in back to back trials, finally got back to the garage.

Pics of installed units and car ride height to follow.

Been test driving it for about a week. VERY HAPPY! No body sway, bigger sway bars not necessary now.
It's a sport ride, not too harsh, much quicker steering, TOTAL BLAST TO DRIVE! Basically...exactly what I wanted!

High confidence in Bilstein build quality is a nice side effect too
UPDATE.

Almost one year in, and after 8K miles on my hybrid build.....

COULD NOT BE HAPPIER! After 500 miles the Bilsteins settled into the PERFECT balance of ride quality/control.

Last edited by 04XJR; 11-19-2017 at 08:15 AM.
chillyphilly (12-13-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 11:56 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hard Whack noise on large bumps and potholes

I realize your post regarding the Arnott shocks is a year old; but, I am curious as to how it turned out for you and whether new shocks corrected it? I have 3 year old Arnotts on my 08 XJ. However, I am not sure what I am experiencing is an actual shock problem or not. I would not describe my noise as a clunk; it is more like a hard whack when I hit a pothole or sizeable bump. I can hear the shocks working normally on lesser bumps. It feels to me sort of like there needs to be a rubber seal or cushioned buffer of some type between the shock and the metal part of the car which the upper shock bolts into. All bushings were replaced at approximately the same time as the shocks. Any advice from anyone is appreciated.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member

I have been happy with my Strutmasters and, yes, that has corrected my original problem. This my daily driver and I typically put 1000 miles a month.

Old 11-27-2017, 04:00 PM
wwr
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Hard Whack noise on large bumps and potholes

Originally Posted by Doberman_Fan
I realize your post regarding the Arnott shocks is a year old; but, I am curious as to how it turned out for you and whether new shocks corrected it? I have 3 year old Arnotts on my 08 XJ. However, I am not sure what I am experiencing is an actual shock problem or not. I would not describe my noise as a clunk; it is more like a hard whack when I hit a pothole or sizeable bump. I can hear the shocks working normally on lesser bumps. It feels to me sort of like there needs to be a rubber seal or cushioned buffer of some type between the shock and the metal part of the car which the upper shock bolts into. All bushings were replaced at approximately the same time as the shocks. Any advice from anyone is appreciated.
Doberman_Fan; I had a predictable whack noise (04 XJR) every time I was making a left turn (car rolls right) and driving over a particular bump in a particular parking lot....... sounded like something thrown up under the passenger side floorboard. When I replaced the leaking front air-spring/shocks I noticed one of the (right side) upper control arm bushings was cracked. Replaced the control arm with a unit from Welsh Enterprises ( ~$150 ) and the problem was eliminated. By the way - the right side front air-spring/shock was not the offending (leaking) shock. I believe the control arm bushing was the culprit. Good Luck troubleshooting

Old 11-27-2017, 11:27 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I had the same issues with the Arnott plus constant error codes from only a couple of year use. Ended up rebuilding the complete front end and replacing with new OEM Bilsteins . Love the ride.

Quick Reply: 2004 XJR - Source of clunk appears to be the Arnott's Air shocks