XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2004 XJR Stock Audio Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 12:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 XJR Stock Audio Replacement

I've bought my 2004 XJR six months ago (Motorolla brick-like mobile phone attached to the underside of the Central console lid, SatNav, radio/cassette head unit, 6-CD changer in the boot, 10-speaker Alpine speakers but no bluetooth, no AUX, no USB, no...but you all know that). I think this system must have been a museum exhibit even back in 2004 when it was introduced.
On top of that since the day one the audio system didn't work properly - it would start playing fine in the morning and ten minutes in, the unbearable booming and buzzing and hissing noise would force me to just turn it off.
So, with all the things already missing (see above) I just wouldn't bother trying to diagnose what's wrong - is it the amplifier or speakers or everything combined..
Then a week ago - No Disc error. Blew some compressed air into the CD magazine, it showed 6 CDs on the screen, loading...loading and more loading and finally all CD icons would go black and...No Disc again.
Unlike most of you forum members I don't have a luxury of having a choice of hundreds of radio stations, to enjoy music when my CD breaks down. I live in Middle East, where radio stations are almost non existent, and those few that do occasionally broadcast music...well not my cup of tea if you know what I mean.

So, now I am definitely not going down the 'fixing it' road.
But replace it with what/how???

I guess all 2004-2008 XJ owners would like to have a more contemporary system - Android Auto/CarPlay enabled, with better screen resolution, with AUX and USB ports (both for charging and playing media files), with reverse cam....etc.

Now, I think I've read all the threads with same/similar topic already on this forum, but they span over the last 5-6 years at least so I figure something must have changed over the years.
I've been googling and youtubing for the last few months and I am no smarter than when I started.
This is how I would, in layman's words, summarize the available options and/or doubts:
  1. Replace only the radio head unit with 'normal' bluetooth CD radio with built-in amplifier and connect all speakers to it, chuck stock radio and the amp into the bin. Would that even work?? what are the obstacles if any (apart from cosmetic ones)?
  2. Install Veffremov's bluetooth device (best option so far)
  3. Try to replace the whole Infotainment (SatNav screen&radio) with an Android Auto head unit. Has anybody tried that? What will happen to the function buttons located around the screen, steering wheel controls?
    Btw, I've stumbled across this You Tube video:

Apparently, this is a stock infotainment system (just like mine) with something added to it, so that when you press the NAV button the screen changes and everything most of us unhappy Jag owners want is there.couldn't understand what that chap was saying (it's in Russian), but I liked what I saw.
    Any of you tech geeks out there care to shed some light on how have they achieved that?
  4. Find a working bluetooth-enabled unit from a scrapped later-year Jag (XF, XJ) that also uses DB2 optical system and retrofit it to 2004 XJR. Anybody tried that?
Any opinions / ideas / suggestions would be highly appreciated

Thanks, BR

Old 09-11-2016, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 621 Posts

Does it get hot in Kuwait? lol

The system in the boot is vulnerable to heat through the body and could be the cause of your problems. (ok in the morning NBG later in the day?)

Personally I would find it hard trying to resist fixing it-but then I have plenty of time.

Then you say "but it will still be way out of date!"

Have you seen this?

iClever Wireless Bluetooth FM Transmitter Radio Adapter Car Kit with SD Remote | eBay

Plug it into the cig lighter, pair it with your phone,and it transmitts an FM signal to your radio!

Play your music from the phone or Sd card in the unit.

All for 15 quid.

Old 09-11-2016, 06:06 PM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 416 Posts

Outside of Veffremov's bluetooth device it's going to be a very expensive proposition, both for parts and in time. Newer Jag models are not D2B, but MOST bus.

Old 09-12-2016, 01:40 AM

Thx meirion1

Yes it does get hot over here and a cool morning means 40°C not something Jag was designed for, but apart from stereo my cat purrs like a...well, cat.

Now, 15 quid is a music to my ears but I doubt music coming out of it would be a music to my ears. Have you actually tried that device or any other FM transmitters?
I don't mind paying 15 quid to test it and keeping it until I decide what to do next.

Anyway thx for the suggestion

Cheers

Old 09-12-2016, 06:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 469 Posts

I have a $120 fm modulated Bluetooth reciever/transmitter .
It is good but sound qualety is lacking but only a little .it has great features including switch able three channal fm frequency , and a relay witch that disconnects the cars antenna so less chance of interference , and also a USB charge port , and 3.5mm jack in.

But to be honest I only use it for the charge port now ,
Because I bought one of veffremov's Bluetooth devices .
It replaces your cd shuttle with a Bluetooth to d2b device .so it will also get rid of your dud shuttle .
And it's cristal clear , good sound . And worth the extra dollers ! Steering wheel controlls and touch screen controls also work with this device , for volume and skip and pause also .
I also upgraded all my speakers and subs ,I have kicker fronts , pioneer rears and jbl parcil subs and added a high level to low leval RCA converter to run an amp and 12" sub in the boot . It truely sounds awsome , compaird to how it used to sound ! And even near as good as an expensive competition car audio set up I have In another car .

The alpine realy is a good sterio , just let down a bit by age ing speaker equipment. I think bluetooth realy was very new when this alpine came out ! I'd fix it an stick a veffbox in it if I were you .

Old 09-12-2016, 07:01 AM

Thx for your input Datsports

The reason why I haven't jumped to order Veffremov's bluetooth kit yet, is that I am not that much interested in a bluetooth connectivity - apart from the hands-free calls.

I am an old-school geezer - i.e. I prefer to enjoy my music collection on a decent Hi-Fi system (the 12th since 1976) or a very good car audio system - I don't have and never want to have any music on my phone (Samsung S6 Edge), or any other similar device, let alone listen to the crappy MP3s off it -period. (unless future phones come with a very sofisticated DACs and audiofile-grade reproduction).

I also do not want to have anything with JAG's long outdated, useless, (in Kw at least), non-updateable SatNav, any more. I want Google Maps!
So, you see, playing music off my phone connected to my car audio through bluetooth is not on top of my priority list.

What I want from my infotainment system is:

Android based head unit with USB/AUX/SD ports for playing media files off my USB flash drive (FLAC, WAV..) or external HD or any other storage, with its own 4G LTE (accepting SIM card) or complete smart phone screen mirroring.

or

just any flipping device that wil replace or bypass Jag's useless audio head unit and CD changer and allow play music off USB stick and allow bluetooth hands free phone calls

Cheers

Old 09-12-2016, 07:20 AM
Box
Veteran Member

Your real issue is climate control. There are people who have attempted to do what you are seeking, but it is neither cheap, nor is it user friendly. There is no company who produces a plug and play option. You can seek the threads for users who have tried this. For me, since I have a base model, it was relative easy to scrap the original radio for a modern double din unit, but your configuration is rather a difficult proposition.

Last edited by Box; 09-12-2016 at 07:23 AM.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:32 AM

Bang on Box!
That is precisely my main concern and source of frustration.
I am still waiting for somebody skilfull enough to comment on that Russian Youtube video i posted above.
From what I can gather, they use some kind of (SatNav?) device that sends video signal to the Jag's screen with a NAV button acting as a toggle switch between the two. My electrical skills don't go beyond changing a light bulb, so I don't get how they access all the other functions that I'd expect reside in the full size head unit.

Cheers

Old 09-12-2016, 07:48 AM
Box
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by brokic
Bang on Box!
That is precisely my main concern and source of frustration.
I am still waiting for somebody skilfull enough to comment on that Russian Youtube video i posted above.
From what I can gather, they use some kind of (SatNav?) device that sends video signal to the Jag's screen with a NAV button acting as a toggle switch between the two. My electrical skills don't go beyond changing a light bulb, so I don't get how they access all the other functions that I'd expect reside in the full size head unit.

Cheers
There is another Jaguar site that may assist you in regards to people who are trying to do this. Visit this thread;

C16 RKC's X358 Nav screen upgrades

Old 09-12-2016, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member

Brokic

I have one on order but it will take about one month.

I will post the results but if it is NBG I will consider Veffremov's box of tricks.

Old 09-13-2016, 02:08 AM

Meirion1,

Can you clarify what do you have on order?

Old 09-13-2016, 06:07 AM
Veteran Member
Old 09-17-2016, 12:27 AM

Well, I somehow managed to miss two excellent threads on the same topic by two forum members who have been actually doing something (instead of lamenting like me):
C16RKC's C16 RKC's X358 Nav screen upgrades
and benwillcox's Hacking the Jaguar touchscreen head unit for the XJ X350, S-Type and X-Type
(and other members contributing to these two threads, including Mr. Veffremov who seems to be working on his solution to the same problem)

It has been really exciting following these endeavors so, for the time being I think I'll just sit back and wait to see what these guys are gonna come up with.

In the meantime I have ordered this cheap FM transmitter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H6ZR8KQ...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 just to have something playing music

Cheers

Old 09-25-2016, 09:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome, this is a great board.

Old 03-01-2017, 07:39 AM

what about Alpine ilx-700?

It has CarPlay.

And it has climate control.

Did someone considered this product before?

I'm going to do something about my cut 2006 sound System soon.

Android, CarPlay (prefered) or both, I still don't know.

My Problem are the other function the jaguar original touchscreen provides.

can this work?