XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Air Suspension - Bilstein B4 vs Arnott AS2889

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 04:01 PM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Air Suspension - Bilstein B4 vs Arnott AS2889

My rear strut is leaking rather badly and I intend to replace both struts.I was comparing the Bilstein B4 (OEM) to the new Arnott AS2889, which is exactly half the price. What are the advantages of the Bilstein and are there any drawbacks with fitting the Arnott replacements ie. Will the CATS system still function.
Any comments would be appreciated.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

The Arnotts do not support the CATS, i.e.they have no valve and solenoid inside to switch the damping to Soft, default being 'Hard' when no power is supplied to the solenoid.

So it is always best to convert front and rear to Arnotts so there is no CATS at all. Personally, I think for most people most of the time the CATS is totally unnecessary, and ties you down to a single supplier (Bilstein), who doesn't take prisoners on prices.

Last edited by Fraser Mitchell; 09-13-2017 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:40 PM
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

How is the ride quality of the Arnotts?

My suspension seems fine but would like to know for when the time comes.

The following users liked this post:
setter (12-30-2022)
Old 09-15-2017, 10:40 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

CATS or no CATS, Air Suspension or no Air Suspension, the internal components of any shock / damper wear over time and miles. You may recall Monroe's campaign to have people change shocks every 50k miles. While that may be a bit soon they still do wear out and when replaced with a new damper - the ride improves. Here is a short video from ImportCar Editor Andrew Markel on parts of the internal Jag damper of an Air Strut that can wear out. He replaced these on his own car with Arnott designed new struts. http://ow.ly/ykfw308cWPn

Arnott's brand new struts are built from the ground up with quality components including an all-new internal shock. Arnott’s new struts are built with CNC-machined top mounts, longer lasting seals, heavy duty crimping rings and are protected by aluminum cans and dust boots. They also come with a Limited Lifetime Warranty (in the EU and North America) and 30-Day Return policy if you don't like them.

Arnott designed new struts are an excellent alternative for aging air suspension systems because they provide the luxury, comfort and auto leveling of air springs but replace the aging used stock shock with a brand new shock custom valved to provide a great ride at a more affordable price.

Here is a link to the Arnott Jag struts: 2005 - X350 - XJ Series - Jaguar - Products - Arnott® Air Suspension

If you have any questions give us a call Mon-Fri/8:00 am – 7:00 pm ET or email info@arnottinc.com

Last edited by arnottdoug; 09-15-2017 at 10:43 AM.
setter (12-30-2022)
Old 09-15-2017, 12:50 PM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 416 Posts

The greatest drawback of the Arnott is the loss of eCATS. Also, the build quality has been suspect as reported by many Arnott owners, and not just in the Jaguar line. Bilstein manufactured the original modules for Jaguar, and the B4's are a direct replacement. Ask Arnott about their shock manufacturer, piston size, and is it single or double tube construction. You get what you pay for. When mine had 115k, I chose the B4's and haven't regretted it for one minute. Bilstein stands behind their product with a lifetime warranty as long as you own the vehicle.

Last edited by Box; 09-16-2017 at 07:05 AM.
Don B (09-19-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 11:07 AM
Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts
Don B (09-19-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 11:10 AM
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I have all 4 new Arnott AS-288x struts , they're not as stiff as the Bilstein originals on the front, there's a little more body roll. However, the rears seem to be similar. At the end of the day I have 4 new air struts with lifetime warranty for $1700, where as the Bilsteins were $4.5k and only have 2yr warranty. The ride quality of the Bilsteins is only fractionally better than the Arnotts, not $2.5k better.

John Fox (09-26-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 08:59 AM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TucsonDave
Remanufactured Front Suspension Air Spring Bag Struts - Pair | Jaguar XJ-Series (X350/X358) 2004-2009

I was pleased with a rebuilt unit, no sacrificing of features, $350.
I just removed some Arnotts to replace with the RMT. For what it's worth, one Arnott had 3 of the top mount bolts broken and the brass air intake fitting came out when I removed the air line. Also the reason for the replacement was the shock made a terrible rattle when driving around 30MPH over slightly uneven roads.

The RMT shocks ride like a dream.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:42 AM
Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Hoepfinger
I just removed some Arnotts to replace with the RMT. For what it's worth, one Arnott had 3 of the top mount bolts broken and the brass air intake fitting came out when I removed the air line. Also the reason for the replacement was the shock made a terrible rattle when driving around 30MPH over slightly uneven roads.

The RMT shocks ride like a dream.
That sounds like the Arnott wasn't installed properly, where it wasn't fully seated, or stud nuts overtorqued. Which model was it? Current is AS-2888/9

Old 09-21-2017, 02:26 PM
Box
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagsteRJX
I have all 4 new Arnott AS-288x struts , they're not as stiff as the Bilstein originals on the front, there's a little more body roll. However, the rears seem to be similar. At the end of the day I have 4 new air struts with lifetime warranty for $1700, where as the Bilsteins were $4.5k and only have 2yr warranty. The ride quality of the Bilsteins is only fractionally better than the Arnotts, not $2.5k better.
Bilstein is lifetime on the B4 product for as long as you own the vehicle. Please be accurate in your reporting. B4's can be had all day long at $1700 a pair.

LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY
B4 OE Replacement / B6 / B6 Performance / B8 Performance Plus / B12 Series / B14 (PSS) / B16 (PSS9 & PSS10) / B6 4600 / B8 5100 / B8 5100 (Ride Height Adjustable) / B8 5112 / B8 6112
BILSTEIN warrants to the original retail purchaser that, for the life of each gas pressure shock, this product shall be free from defects in material and workmanship. Proof of purchase is required to process warranty. Please return product to the original place of purchase.

http://www.bilsteinus.com/products/s...vice/warranty/

Old 09-21-2017, 06:43 PM
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Box
Bilstein is lifetime on the B4 product for as long as you own the vehicle. Please be accurate in your reporting. B4's can be had all day long at $1700 a pair.

Warranty
Was happy to see this since it might be worthwhile to get the Bilstiens. But I read your link on the warranty and it is only for 2 years on air suspension units not lifetime.

LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY
B4 OE Replacement / B6 / B6 Performance / B8 Performance Plus / B12 Series / B14 (PSS) / B16 (PSS9 & PSS10) / B6 4600 / B8 5100 / B8 5100 (Ride Height Adjustable) / B8 5112 / B8 6112
BILSTEIN warrants to the original retail purchaser that, for the life of each gas pressure shock, this product shall be free from defects in material and workmanship. Proof of purchase is required to process warranty. Please return product to the original place of purchase.
LIMITED 2 YEAR WARRANTY
B4 OE Replacement (Air) / Steering Racks

BILSTEIN warrants to the original retail purchaser that, for a period of two (2) years from the date of purchase, the B4 OE Replacement (Air) suspension and Steering Racks shall be free from defects in workmanship and/or material. Proof of purchase is required to process warranty. Please return product to the original place of purchase.

Old 09-23-2017, 12:20 PM
Box
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pragmatic
Was happy to see this since it might be worthwhile to get the Bilstiens. But I read your link on the warranty and it is only for 2 years on air suspension units not lifetime.

I stand corrected.

pragmatic (09-23-2017)
Old 09-26-2017, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Box
I stand corrected.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:40 PM

"You get what you pay for"

Not necessarily, major brands aren't always better, they have more advertising and operational costs to cover, lets not forget exec bonuses, hence why their products can be more costly than a smaller competitor.

If I was to buy an upper A-arm from Jaguar it would be $550, if I were to buy the same A-arm from Ford it would be $140. The A-arm from Ford comes with Jaguar stamped on it. Just because you pay $550 from Jaguar doesn't make the part better than from Ford, as they are both the same part made by Lemforder.

Originally Posted by Box
The greatest drawback of the Arnott is the loss of eCATS. Also, the build quality has been suspect as reported by many Arnott owners, and not just in the Jaguar line. Bilstein manufactured the original modules for Jaguar, and the B4's are a direct replacement. Ask Arnott about their shock manufacturer, piston size, and is it single or double tube construction. You get what you pay for. When mine had 115k, I chose the B4's and haven't regretted it for one minute. Bilstein stands behind their product with a lifetime warranty as long as you own the vehicle.

Old 09-26-2017, 04:02 PM
Box
Veteran Member

"You get what you pay for"

Not necessarily, major brands aren't always better, they have more advertising and operational costs to cover, lets not forget exec bonuses, hence why their products can be more costly than a smaller competitor.

If I was to buy an upper A-arm from Jaguar it would be $550, if I were to buy the same A-arm from Ford it would be $140. The A-arm from Ford comes with Jaguar stamped on it. Just because you pay $550 from Jaguar doesn't make the part better than from Ford, as they are both the same part made by Lemforder.
When it comes to the issue of suspension, it does. For many reasons. I'm not your vehicle to present your angst for dealer markup, nor your verbal punching bag. Nor have I asserted that the only outlet is the dealer channel.

When I first purchased my front set of B4's from a supplier in late 2014, Bilstein had just introduced the B4 line for Mercedes a year earlier, and the replacement for Jaguar vehicles was just hitting the market, and at that time the warranty wasn't split between air and non-air modules. Obviously that has changed. So be it, but it doesn't warrant the childish emoji response from you. I wish you well in life, but please don't be insulted if I simply ignore any further responses from you.

Last edited by Box; 09-26-2017 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:46 PM

No need to get your nose all bent out of shape Box, I was just making a light hearted joke out of your goof up with the emoji. Happens to the best of them.

However, as I clearly stated with facts that your “You get what you pay for" logic is flawed. You may want to be more careful before bandying around flawed logic to others. Good day to you Sir!

Originally Posted by Box
When it comes to the issue of suspension, it does. For many reasons. I'm not your vehicle to present your angst for dealer markup, nor your verbal punching bag. Nor have I asserted that the only outlet is the dealer channel.

When I first purchased my front set of B4's from a supplier in late 2014, Bilstein had just introduced the B4 line for Mercedes a year earlier, and the replacement for Jaguar vehicles was just hitting the market, and at that time the warranty wasn't split between air and non-air modules. Obviously that has changed. So be it, but it doesn't warrant the childish emoji response from you. I wish you well in life, but please don't be insulted if I simply ignore any further responses from you.

Old 09-26-2017, 07:00 PM
Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts

Well I ordered my Arnotts Friday and they will be here tomorrow and installed Saturday. Since my left fronts been leaking for some time now these will be a huge improvement, LOL. But given now drive about 1500 miles a year I think they will be fine even if the ride isn't a nice as a Bilstien. Had to chuckle as I bought new tires which are getting installed Thursday and they have a 45000 mile warranty, at this rate they should last 30 years, LMAO.

Old 09-26-2017, 07:14 PM
Box
Veteran Member

No need to get your nose all bent out of shape Box, I was just making a light hearted joke out of your goof up with the emoji. Happens to the best of them.

However, as I clearly stated with facts that your “You get what you pay for" logic is flawed. You may want to be more careful before bandying around flawed logic to others. Good day to you Sir!
There is only one (1) way to retain eCATS. Period. You get what you pay for.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:38 PM
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Isn't there a supplier of refurbished Bilstein units with eCATs intact, RMT?

Old 09-26-2017, 09:39 PM
Box
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dan R
Isn't there a supplier of refurbished Bilstein units with eCATs intact, RMT?
Dan, the only ones I have ever heard of, replace the air bag module only. The shock remains as it was with whatever mileage it may have had on it. One of the major improvements with new B4's is the shock and the way it returns the vehicle to new car ride performance.