Go Back  Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum > Jaguar Models ( Modern ) > XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 )
Reload this Page >

Air Suspension & ECATS System Summary: Components & Operation

XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Air Suspension & ECATS System Summary: Components & Operation

Old 05-08-2018, 04:11 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Don B View Post
Hi JHB,

So far, the consensus is that the cold air leak occurs at the top seal of one or more air springs, typically one or both of the fronts. The top seal is a large rubber molding that is permanently compressed between inner and outer components in the air spring/shock absorber and is not replaceable. You can see part of the seal as a rubber ring around the circumference of the recess of your air springs, in the center of which is the ECATS solenoid electrical connector.

You can check for leaks at the top seal on a cold day by running the engine to charge the air suspension, then spritz some soapy water around the recess in the air spring, taking care not to wet the ECATS connector. Bubbles indicate a leak.

A few owners have attempted repairs by packing this recess with epoxy resin to seal the area where the seal is visible. Only time will tell if these repairs will last. I have considered attempting to apply a high-pressure sealant to that area while pulling a slight vacuum on the air spring to help draw the sealant into the leak(s), but the only suitable high-pressure sealant I've found is expensive, so I keep putting off the attempt.

The most expedient solution is to replace one or both air springs/shock absorbers.

Cheers,

Don
Hi Don, another idea could be to use Sicaflex 260N. We use it in Europe quite often, it also seals against gasoline, is flexible and reliable over long time.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:49 AM
Received 7,573 Likes on 4,230 Posts

Originally Posted by Elegancec View Post
Hi Don, another idea could be to use Sicaflex 260N. We use it in Europe quite often, it also seals against gasoline, is flexible and reliable over long time.
Hi Elegancec,

A quick search of Sikaflex 260N seems to indicate that it is primarily used for bonding glass. I didn't see a pressure rating.... Do you know if it can withstand the 20 bar / 290 psi maximum bump pressure the air springs bladders can experience?

Cheers,

Don

The following users liked this post:
AD2014 (06-22-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 03:33 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Don, you are right, I think it was Sikaflex 11 FC or similar and not 260N.
I have used it to seal my gasoline inlet in my Volvo and also to seal for bit tanks. Of couse I don't know, if it could also seal up to 20 bar, but take a look on the datasheet, 1,5 N/mm˛ is the pulling force.
This should be equal to 15 bars.
I would give it a try, because the leak is very tiny and it can even better seal it. And it's quite cheap with 10 €.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (05-08-2018)