XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Air Suspension Fault... but nothing is wrong...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 07:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air Suspension Fault... but nothing is wrong...

decided i needed to trade in my kitty for a truck since i have moved on to a farm off a dirt road...

drove the kitty to the dealer, discussed trade in, signed for the truck...

dealer said to bring the jag by tmrw so he can drive it around and what not.

so i got into the car, started backing up, and the air suspension fault notification popped up with the ugly amber light...

now normally, when the notification would pop up and the light would come on, the ride quality would cease to exist and feel as if i were in a honda civic on cut springs...

but it is riding just like it normally does, comfortably... it has not lowered, it is still nimble like normal and i hear no air hissing out from anywhere.

i am truly stumped and refuse to take it to jag and have them rape me with diagnostic charges.

where do i go from here? i need some quick responses, as this car is being traded in tmrw and i need the light to stay out for at least a day or so.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:43 PM
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Your car is trying to get you out of this deal

I drove my car about 500 miles with that warning light and no issues. Can you try disconnecting the battery for a while and see if that will clear the fault?

That is a beautiful car...

Old 06-06-2013, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Drb007
Your car is trying to get you out of this deal

I drove my car about 500 miles with that warning light and no issues. Can you try disconnecting the battery for a while and see if that will clear the fault?

That is a beautiful car...
haha, thank you for the compliment and a good chuckle...

now i have a new scenario...

got in the car this morning, got VEHICLE TOO LOW for a second, then it inflated the rear WAY too far up, so the compressor is fine at least... but now the butt is all the way up in the air!

if i disconnect the battery, what all is going to need to be reset and how do i reset/relearn those things?

Old 06-06-2013, 08:30 AM

also, i can't find where the ride height sensors are on the rear...

anyone able to give me specific location and describe the location to me?

Old 06-06-2013, 09:46 AM

disconnected the battery, that did nothing.

the rear is still up in the air, but not lopsided or crooked. it is level, just way too far in the air.

drove it around for a few miles and the fault went away, then came back.

my question is, are one of the rear ride height sensors bad? or both?

Old 06-06-2013, 12:51 PM

My air suspension experience has all been to the front...this definitely sounds like a rear shock leak issue. What's the temp where you are? Warm is good...you were so close to avoiding this. Damn.
I doubt this to be a sensor issue. I think your rear height sensor in on the drivers rear a arm, but mine is a year older than yours so it may be different. Again, it doesn't sound like that is the issue.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:52 PM

new update...

drove the car some more, now the vehicle too low warning won't go away and neither will the fault warning.

the rear end is still way up in the air and holding even when parked and locked.

compressor comes on and inflates the rear end when it drops even a tiny bit.

i am beginning to suspect a ride height sensor in the rear for sure.

any other thoughts?

Old 06-06-2013, 05:52 PM

My air suspension experience has all been to the front...this definitely sounds like a rear shock leak issue. What's the temp where you are? Warm is good...you were so close to avoiding this. Damn.
I doubt this to be a sensor issue. I think your rear height sensor in on the drivers rear a arm, but mine is a year older than yours so it may be different. Again, it doesn't sound like that is the issue.
my rear shocks are not leaking, the car has been sitting with its butt in the air for hours now, parked...

it is 75 degrees F here.

no air hissing from any shock, period.

if it's not the sensor, then it has lost its mind and will have to be reconfigured at jag.

the compressor is doing its job as well.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:22 PM

That's probably the right thing to do, but all you need is 24 hours of good luck. Wish there was an easy fix. Sorry.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:28 AM

That's probably the right thing to do, but all you need is 24 hours of good luck. Wish there was an easy fix. Sorry.
Well the fault lights went out now... Drove it for a few miles and they have not come back on...

I'm banking now, on the fact, that the computer has somehow forgotten what normal is and that's why it has inflated the rear end to the max.

Shocks are not leaking, rear end is completely level, compressor is working properly...

Sensors are most likely not bad, since it appears they are working since the rear end is level, just in the air.

The ride quality is hilariously bad though, I feel like the road is a trampoline.

Hopefully it just needs to be reconfigured to a normal height.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:22 AM
Received 4,437 Likes on 2,422 Posts

I had to reflash the Air Suspension Module recently, after something similar happened. Went out to the car in the morning and the rear was inflated to maximum.

In this case I bled the air out of the rear shocks at the valve block in the trunk (far left hose, & the 3rd from the left, you can see two hoses that run separately to the rest), this dropped the car down to the floor, but it had obviously lost all calibration as it would not raise back up, & would not calibrate through the regular procedure using SDD. After eventually regaining communication, reflashing the Air Suspension Module & doing a new calibration it's been OK, touch wood.

Since then something similar did happen when the car was on the dyno. It was strapped down hard & trying to raise itself up at the rear. Once it was unstrapped the back shot up to full inflation again. Luckily this time I was able to deflate the rears with the SDD, and it went back up to the regular ride height afterwards as it should.

You need to get to a dealer/workshop who has SDD.

Last edited by Cambo; 06-07-2013 at 02:28 AM.