XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Air Suspension Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 10:33 AM
Received 96 Likes on 84 Posts

Here are three other photos that were taken of my 2005 Jaguar XJ8L after the conversion:

Attached Thumbnails Air Suspension Problem-2005-jaguar-xj8l-passenger-rear-.jpg   Air Suspension Problem-2005-jaguar-xj8l-passenger-front-.jpg   Air Suspension Problem-2005-jaguar-xj8l-front-view-.jpg  

Last edited by Rickkk; 12-15-2014 at 08:42 AM.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:39 AM

By the way, the newer Jaguar vehicles have coil/springs in the front, and the air shocks in the rear.

Last edited by Rickkk; 12-15-2014 at 08:57 AM.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:08 AM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kbeachy
I bought the Arnott coils from carid and installed them successfully about a year ago. I'm pleased with the ride, although it is not as smooth over bumps as the air suspension was. My reasoning for the change over was that because there are so many parts to the air suspension that can fail, my $ investment in avoidance of future problems was better invested in the coil springs. I'm happy with my decision. Now I don't have to wonder on extra cold mornings whether she will be squatting on all fours.

By the way, I had a good experience with carid. The front and back were not sitting the same height, so carid sent me new rears under warranty. The only drawback about buying Arnott from carid, as I understand it, is that should carid go out of business I couldn't get warranty replacement from Arnott because it resides through the retailer. The height between front and back is still not the same. Arnott told me they should level out over time, but they haven't. Maybe Strutmaster brand would not do this. I think it's an error in their manufacturing calibration. Has anyone else had the same issue with Arnott coil overs?
CARID is a good company with good customer service. Every time I order something they give me a 10% military discount and do everything they can to make sure I am satisfied.

I measured my car and my car is sitting correct. All sides are sitting level. When I first installed the new coil conversion kit my car was sitting a little high. Like you I called or not and asked them about this and they told me it would settle and sure enough it did. Do you live in a cold environment? That could prolong the settling process.

The following users liked this post:
Rickkk (12-15-2014)
Old 12-16-2014, 09:23 AM
Received 102 Likes on 55 Posts

Mine has settled some. I'm satisfied enough not to do anything more, although I can see a height difference between front (which is higher) and rear. I just love going out on cold mornings and not having to wonder about my car sitting squat.

Old 12-17-2014, 11:01 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Arnott Warranty

Originally Posted by kbeachy
The only drawback about buying Arnott from carid, as I understand it, is that should carid go out of business I couldn't get warranty replacement from Arnott because it resides through the retailer. The height between front and back is still not the same. Arnott told me they should level out over time, but they haven't. Maybe Strutmaster brand would not do this. I think it's an error in their manufacturing calibration. Has anyone else had the same issue with Arnott coil overs?

All warranty issues should be handled by the reseller where the parts were purchased (store, online or installer). In the event that a reseller ever does go out of business, as long as the end user can provide the order documentation, we should be able to confirm where the part was ordered and warranty the part. One issue with parts resellers that may be of interest is that some offer their own warranty period and return policy that may be shorter than the manufacturer's. In this case the reseller may not honor the manufacturer's warranty (CarID does honor manufacturer's warranties).

We don't hear complaints regarding height issues very often. I asked tech support and their recommendation would be to have the control arms and ball joints inspected just to be safe, in some cases those will wear out. You can email techassistance@arnottinc.com or call them (321-868-3016 Ext 100) if you have additional questions (Note: warranty issues should still be handled by your reseller).

Old 06-20-2015, 05:06 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

excellent instruction Don, my name is Tony and I have an 04 xjr black on black, its been sitting for about a year and half because of the air ride, front end is too low, anyway I finally pulled the compressor to change the piston ring, and I was puzzeled with the the 2 look alike brackets, so I ended up putting one bracket only, and its been bothering me since, and lately I said they must fit one from the top and one from the bottom, till I seen your pictures, well I got uh moisture problem and I wanna pull the compressor back and change the beads and check the solenoid to see if its stuck, because I unscrewed one hose at a time from the front and no matter how many time I run the compressor at full cycle"2 minutes", water comes out uh the hose with air.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (06-21-2015)
Old 06-20-2015, 08:19 PM
Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Torrid
I'm hoping I don't have too many air suspension issues. I like the ride and the leveling feature is nice. It's been reliable so far, but I've heard bad things. I know cool wet climates tend to cause the suspension more premature failure issues.
Wow it's sad seeing this old thread pop up and my post. If only I knew the troubles that lay ahead after this statement.

Old 06-21-2015, 11:21 PM
Received 12,763 Likes on 6,393 Posts

Originally Posted by tanios
well I got uh moisture problem and I wanna pull the compressor back and change the beads and check the solenoid to see if its stuck, because I unscrewed one hose at a time from the front and no matter how many time I run the compressor at full cycle"2 minutes", water comes out uh the hose with air.
Hi Tony,

It sounds as though your system has been overwhelmed with more condensation than the dessicant beads could adsorb. Do you live in a particularly humid or moist area? The dessicant beads are partially reactivated by reverse airflow from time to time, but in normal operation the beads are never fully reactivated. Also, the system does not have a true water trap. I plan to add one to our car eventually, perhaps an electrically-operated one that can be emptied periodically at the push of a button.

Since your system seems to have more water than it can handle, I would consider disconnecting the air reservoir (mounted under the spare tire) and emptying it of any water it contains, then disconnecing all the air hose fittings and blowing them out with compressed air (preferably from a source with both an air dryer and a water trap. I don't know of an easy way to evacuate any water that has found its way into your air springs, but perhaps another member may have an idea.

Please keep us informed.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 06-21-2015 at 11:24 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
AD2014 (06-24-2015), EssOess (08-24-2015)
Old 07-02-2015, 10:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed the Strutmaster conversion system recently. It is also just a bit higher in the back but looks identical to preconversion height. They also supplied a module that installed behind the back seat to override the computer and everything worked perfectly. Less than a days work. I think the ride is better than original although it feels a bit more "sporty". and less floaty. Strutmaster was a few hundred dollars more but the company was great, instructions perfect, and they come with a lifetime warranty. I could not be happier.

Best of luck to all.
Great Driveing

Rob
Jaquar XJ8 2004
ex Jag XJ6 1996

Strutmaster Shock. Sorry about the tilt

Last edited by Robert442; 07-02-2015 at 11:19 PM.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile Jaggie

I am curious to find out how many that purchased the ARNOTT XJ8 X305 Conversion kits ended up with clanking strut mounts about a year down the road.
A dealer in Florida told me they installed dozens, and had to replace them all, and now only use the Black Dog kits, which contain Jaguar components ,
not ones made in China.

Old 08-19-2015, 03:51 PM

I had my 2005 Jaguar XJ8L suspension changed over with the Arnott C-2290 conversion kit well over a year ago, and the ride is still smooth as silk.

If one is opting for the conversion, I would highly recommend taking the vehicle to a Goodyear service center for the installation as they seem to have highly reputable mechanics over there. Before any such installation, the Goodyear mechanics will give the vehicle a good once over. Afterwards, they will give the car an alignment and (the service manager--- in my case) will give it a test drive.

After Goodyear converted my Jag over early last year, the service manager over there told me that he never drove a better riding car than mine.

Last edited by Rickkk; 08-19-2015 at 07:03 PM.